LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to make family understand

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to make family understand
Tuba
Member # 5315

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Tuba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is THE BEST way to get family to understand what a person with lyme is going through? I just had an unpleasant conversation with a family member that really has me down. She doesn't understand my mood swings and wanted to know why I didn't have them last year. I tried to explain how symptoms change day to day, month to month and even year to year. I told her that she needs to read up on lyme and self-educate herself as to what people go through. I try to put on the happy face because they don't really believe that I am suffering, but I am. It is hard enough to deal with this on a daily basis but when your family can't back you it makes things a million times worse. Any suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and keep up the fight!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a family member that lives under the same roof, or one that doesn't?

If it's one that doesn't - if you want to waste the energy, send them some info from here. If they still don't get it, then cut them out of your life right now.

Who needs all that negative energy?? The only thing you should be focusing on is trying to get better.

If it's someone under the same roof - you might have to sit them down, and explain to them, symptom by symptom, what you go through. Really explain about brain-fog, or mood swings, or the excruciating neck pain, or whatever it is that messes up a normal daily life.

Explain how one minute you can be fine, and the next minute down for the count, and how you need for them to recognize this for what it is - and HELP YOU with whatever needs to be done.

And if the house looks like he__, the laundry's not done, whatever - it's their problem, not yours. You're busy being sick right now, and are ENTITLED TO FEEL CRAPPY.

Hope this helps - it's pretty much what I had to do.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuba,

Welcome! I can relate to your situation, and I'm afraid that there is no one answer.

How well another person understands or is sympathetic to our predicament is a function of their basic nature and experience.

Before I became ill, there is no way I would have believed some of the symptoms I have now if someone else told me they had them. Because I had not experienced them, I was very limited in my ability to comprehend the many different types of pain and sensations one can get with lyme. I was also suspicious of malingerers and bullsh**ters.

I guess the universe didn't want me to stay that way, because now I'm just full of empathy since I've experienced so much more in the pain and discomfort department.

So, every person is going to respond differently to your situation. Some will be infinitely forgiving and accommodating; others will roll their eyes and write you off.

It's their karma (as it was mine), so just hold your head high and do what you need to do to get better, with or without them. Your family member is showing her personal limitations, which IMHO, is a blacker mark to have than limitation by disease.

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tuba,

This site/story has helped me, it made me cry, but I think it makes people think.
Hope it helps you too.
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/spoons.htm

God Bless,
Beverly

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
This really is a tough subject in my opinion. We look well but feel horrible therefore others just do not get it. Unless you could let them feel for one second what you are feeling, it is almost impossible to convey this illness.

Therefore I have done several things. I have stopped being a people pleaser. If I don't want to to whatever, I simply don't do it. I have stopped worrying that others will think I am a pain in the butt. I try very hard never to leave my "comfort zone" in terms of activity. When people come over and stay too long, I throw them out, phone calls same.

When people call to tell me long winded stories about their troubles, I often just get off the phone. It sounds harsh but I am sick and they are not. I have even told my children (all grown) that for now, they must learn to handle their problems without me. Their stress does me in completely.

When my children visit, they do everything, shop, cook and run errands. A brand new concept for us, since I have always killed myself doing all of those things for them. Intrestingly, they enjoy it and the group effort brings them together (who knew?).

It is a good lesson, particularly for somewhat spoiled children used to a mom who jumped at every opportunity to "fix" their problems.

Remember, we have a battle to win here and being the most popular person is not in the recipe for getting well.

This is our struggle not theirs and we can't change that.

harsh advice I know but I think necessary. Lyme disease changes everything. I speak my mind now far more than I used to and really try not to put up with a lot of BS I am too sick to cope with.

When we feel better, we will be nicer or maybe not. It doesn't matter. The main thing is to get well.

Regards,
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christelleny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christelleny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tuba,

I think everybody goes through the same thing. That's the reason why we put a brave face and pretend we're OK, so that people won't think we're overdoing it or we're hypochondriacs. But the people closest to you should understand you better. My husband kept saying that I was exaggerating until a positive diagnostic was made. I downloaded basic info about LD (making sure I included clinical lists of symptoms), edited my medical history, a list of symptoms 4 pages long and gave it all to him. He felt guilty a lot, but it's much easier now. Information may be the key. I didn't know anything about LD and its consequences before I was diagnosed either. Good luck with everything.

Posts: 159 | From CT, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, it will depend on the individual. All the information in the world has not helped my husband to be more understanding -- to him, the threads and articles I've given him are just proof that I'm an obsessive compulsive lazy hypochondriac, one of thousands that can be found on places like lymenet.

Understanding and tolerance are within the soul of each individual. Sigh.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paisley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paisley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Tuba,

Here's what I am doing, which may sound a bit harsh, but for the time- being it is the only option I have. I am surrounding myself with people who are only part of the solution - not part of the problem.

And, I am doing this for my survival. Literally. It's a tragedy that it has taken a near-death experience with a Lyme complication for me to put down boundaries.

But perhaps this is one of the reasons that I have this wonderful disease. To learn what I am willing to put up with from other people and what I am able to give to others. At times I just haven't been very good about articulating what is acceptable and what isn't.

I am learning about my limited energy units. (Have you heard of the spoon story? If not, do a search here).

For example, I just set limits with my mother, MY OWN MOTHER! She is the person that I thought would be the most nurturing, loving and compassionate. However, I had to tell her that I could not be around her until she stops telling me how to be sick or how to get well (she thinks that it is best if I am out of bed and running around).

Even more confusing is that my dad passed away in Sept. and I feel like I should be there for my mother -- to comfort her, but I don't have anything left to give at this time. It is all about my survival.

I explained that the swelling in and around my brain is contributing to my symptoms and that stress exacerbates all of my symptoms. And because of my disease, I lack the skills to cope with the added stress.

I looked for a better article, but couldn't find it so I wanted to pass on a short paragraph that sums up some of the neuro stuff you may be experienceing:

Distinct Pattern of Cognitive Impairment Noted in Study of Lyme Patients by
Marian Rissenberg PhD & Susan Chambers MD, The Lyme Times, Vol. 20, Jan-Mar 1998, pp. 29-32
"Patients with Lyme encephalopathy complain of problems with memory and concentration, word retrieval, confusion, problems with thinking, "mental fogginess", a decline in job performance, difficulty with calculations, directions, and judgment. Decreased initiative, manifest as difficulty getting started with or following through with projects is often noted. Mood disturbance is common with complaints of irritability, explosiveness or "a short fuse," sadness, hopelessness or guilt, increased anxiety or mood swings. Sleep disturbance is also common, and can present as initial, middle or terminal insomnia or some combination of these. Fatigue is universal. Headache is common, and of course joint and muscle pain. Increased sensitivity to light and noise, visual disturbance, and tingling in the extremities are also common.'"

By the way, since setting limits with my mother, she has been trying very hard and communicating by email. Its just enough for us right now. And we continue to tell eachother that we love one another.

Please don't misinterpret anything I just said. There is no one in the world more than my husband and children that I want a meaningful relationship with than my mom. But what I have come to realize is that her misunderstandings about this disease are about her. However, my recovery is about me. Hope some of that makes sense.

Regards
Paisley

Posts: 298 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Tuba to this 24/7 educational/support group board!

Be sure to look for TREEPATROL's newbie links, print off, and check off as you read the many links there .. will take months!

There is another thread on here recently. Do a screen by screen search for it ... lots of good info there too plus what you read above. Betty G., Iowa

PS - As someone else mentioned, do NOT let them drag you down. Say NO to negative people, and say NO often. Take care of you...no one else!

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuba,

I have noticed that either a person has this skill or they do not.

I came down sick the same time as another person at work. We were both dx with CFS. We have the same symptoms but mine are more intense.

I limited my contact with her because she doens't get it. Go figure.

She gets it in the sense that she can describe it much better than I can and in much more detail.

But, as far as feeling safe when I am around her...I don't.

I will not be able to stand up and have to lie down and she will be off and about and talking to people and taking her good old time getting back to me to take me home. I will tell her I need to go now. But, she still doesn't get it.

She is in her own little world and can only deal with what is going on with her.

She is not mean spirited. Just not connected.

I have given her and others the booklet: "But You Don't Look Sick". I have given her and others the article about the spoon theory.

I have given out PA LDA booklet on lyme disease.

I feel this things are good resources. But, getting the person or doc to read these is another story.

I also have given out Dr. Scott Taylor's report: Lyme Disease: The Disease of Ignorance.

And given my NP a lot of information which she didn't read. And loaned my primary doc and NP the DVD and audio by Dr. B and others.

I have handed out the special issue of Lyme Times with the guidelines in them.

It is a unique person who does get it and I am very thankful for them.

ON the other hand. I don't get it most of the time. I am still trying to figure out why I am OK one hour and not the next or several days and then down for several days or why there is not a pattern. IT would be great to know when my hearing is going to go out, when I am going to be light sensitive, when I am going to be strong enough to go for a walk and when I am not and how far I am going to be able to walk that day or sit upright.

You got to admit. It is a ticky situation and keeps us on our toes.

I think of how confused I was when I was a Deaf Ed major and I would be around someone who had their voice but not their hearing.

It wasn't an automatic adjustment to hear with my ears and then talk to them with my hands. I thought since they were able to voice I could voice back. Wrong!

I know it must be very difficult for people to be around us because our symptoms vary and there is so much going on.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents stopped to make pressure on me after 3 years when i diagnosed lyme
by myself and gone to a hospital for a month ,than once again after 6 months fot 5 weeks. They said i should make some sports and stuff...Sit less in front of my computer etc. But when i stopped going to school and have everything in my butt ,i wasn`t listening them anymore ,they realize that thay can scream on me and it dosent make any effect.

I dont know how to get my powers back ,to live.

Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.
Like the others have said, we have probably all experienced this on some level at some point in our lyme lives. It's a tough one, too.

At first I really wanted people to understand where I was coming from and would expend a lot of energy discussing and explaining about lyme. As time went on, I got tired of explaining my situation and trying to get people to understand. Bottom line....you can't 'make' another person do anything, so don't waste perfectly good energy trying.

If the person is open to learning more, then provide them with good info. If they don't believe you or challenge you or make you feel like you are second guessing yourself, it is best to stop spending time with these people - even if it is immediate family. You know you are sick and you don't need to defend that with anyone. As one of the other posters said, negative energy is so counterproductive....

I'm going thru something similar with some friends. Two of my children are also being treated for lyme and these people really just don't understand the whole treatment process. The one person is asking me what will happen if the med combo doesn't work - will we stop treatment? I explained that we move to the next combo and keep trying until we find the right one that will get rid of this illness. She wondered if this was really the right time to be doing all of this because the treatment is robbing our child of his teen years and he is missing out on all the fun! I told her if we didn't treat him he could be missing out on far more. I also asked her when she thought a good time would be for us to treat him? When he leaves high school? When he's in college or an adult in the workforce? People just don't get it.....
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going thru the same thing and have for my whole life just about. its alot worse now.

I agree with Sue VG - some people just will not get it and I am closely tied to a few of them. But that can't impede my trying to get well - and the same for you.

Try not to waste negative energy.

Good luck with that!!

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned with and without lyme, that you can't make anyone learn anything that they are not willing.

The first step is to see if they are willing to learn or at least understand. If not, get them out of your life immediately.

I have basically disowned my mother when it comes to my lyme situation and various others due to the same. She of course, regardless of my diagnosis,

wanted me to take "Zoloft" for it all. Yep, that cures everything!

Just get them out of your life.

I expect nothing from anyone in my life that doesnt believe I have lyme. This includes my friends.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for griswoldgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That spoon story is unique and good. I may copy and paste that for my refrigerator.

Tuba, I wish I had the answer for you. I have been ill a long time with misdiagnosis's for 15 years and other health issues so it is hard for my family to deal with yet another one. They truly have compasion burnout.

The first thing is are they open to reading or hearing about the disease of lyme? Are they willing to educate themselves inorder to understand? That is the first step I would think as others have said.

Unfortunately I cannot get my family past that first step especially my husband.

Recently I have tried a new thought pattern-"what would I do if I lived by myself?"--and I go about my day with that in mind--I refuse to pick up the kids and the husbands messes, dirty dishes, laundry, cups etc because if I lived alone they would not be there.

Needless to say my house is in disarray-so be it. I take care of myself first and foremost lately. I have found out through a lot of tears of hopelessness and anger that my husband is not going to change and wake up one morning and suddenly understand what I am going through and help me. He has his own deamons of depression to fight and those deamons make him the lazy person he is.

Unfortunately my children are in the middle of this-but at ages 16 and 11 they are old enough not only to help around the house but pick up after them selves.

I quit as of three days ago--call it a new years resolution.

As far as understanding, I come here, talk to my therapist, a lyme buddy on the phone or I watch tv and forget about it.

I finally realized the other day the energy I was spending to get them to listen and undetstand me was energy I could spend being quiet and restful allowing my body to heal.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink.

I wish you luck and do hope your family will understand you one day, I really do!

cathy

Posts: 192 | From Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cathy,

For years I thought I had married the laziest man alive. I could not understand the problem because my family has plenty of disfunction--but lazyness is not one. Long story short (I had untreated thyroid disease and that was diagnosed first) I finally figured out husband was sick. I kept sending him to doctors until we found the one that is treating him now. That doc then found my lyme and childrens lyme. I know I gave children lyme with breastmilk or through my body--but that is another story.

So did you know that if one person in a house has lyme others are more likely to get it? Some people think lyme can be passed sexually?

I would say lazy and depressed would be first signs of lyme. My husband credits me with saving his life (I'm blowing on my fingernails now). But seriously, if you study up you will see the lyme does cluster in families.

Any possiblity that your husband could have lyme?

Just a thought.

L

P.S. I was doing my own laundry by the age of eleven. Give those kids a list of chores to help you and if they don't help--take their toys--you know--the good stuff like the tv! Tell them they don't get it back till they start helping.

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement