LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesiosis....Again??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesiosis....Again??
Seton
Member # 267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
I have not posted in a long time, but, I admit, I've been lurking. I'm sorry to see that there are so many new Lyme sufferers out there. My road has been a long one and it seems there is no end in sight.
I was diagnosed with Lyme in 1990 and have been through 3 rounds of IV therapy. I believe I was infected in 1981. I'm always fighting to be well, as are so many of you.

In 2000, I tested positive for Babesiosis and was treated. I went through the complete cardiac work -up then. Many of you know the drill.........confused looks on the faces of cardiologists who don't understand these two diseases..............symptoms that don't add up. Anyway, I was treated with antibiotics and Mepron in 2000 and bounced back.
Last week, I had a killer sore throat. I went to a local internist (not my Lyme doc) and he was alarmed at my heart rate......115. It's been down hill ever since. He sent me straight to a group of Heart doctors. I was pleasantly surprised to get a doc (young) who didn't roll his eyes when he heard my long tale. (Maybe they're actually studying Lyme/Babesiosis in Med. school now????????!!!!!). The EKG was abnormal, heart rate elevated at 115.He said something about a leaky valve too. He set me up for a bunch of tests. He said he could put me on meds to slow the heart rate, but wanted to find the cause. I had the stress test 2 days ago (not nuclear). There were no abnormalities; in fact I was running on the treadmill at max speed and incline. I did above average for my age (40). I always work out when I feel well enough, so it was no surprise to me.
Now, since yesterday, I've had lots of chest pressure, the heart is racing. I have also been getting extremely cold, I bundle up and then I sweat. I have lost about 12 lbs since August. That kind of snuck up on me, I knew my clothes were a bit looser, but it wasn't until the Dr. weighed me how much I'd lost. I had an alrming weight loss when first diagnosed with the Babs in 2000.
So.............question...............have many of you experienced reoccurence of Babesiosis? At what point do I panic? Can I test negative, yet still have the Babesiosis as with the Lyme? Is the Babesiosis strictly in the blood, or in the tissues , as with the Lyme? I don't want to end up in the ER with Heart Block. Do I page the cardiologist on the weekend and tell him what's going on. I know he'll tel me to go to the ER.....I ahte the ER!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.
Be well.
Keep the faith.

Posts: 93 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Seton - I am sorry your battle has been such a long one. I am interested in all of these questions regarding Babs too. I was treated with one month of Mepron/Zithro and seem to have kicked it - but it has only been a month and a half...I have heard others say that it can come back on you. I will tell you that there is a woman who lives near me who is fighting lyme and coinfections. She worked for Glaxo at one point and just tested positive for Babs herself this past Fall. She and I have been told by our LLMDs office that one month of treatment is sufficient for Babs and not to take more than one month of Mepron. She decided to call a chemist she used to work with at Glaxo. What this chemist said is that one month of Mepron should be sufficient - that really it has not been indicated officially to kill Babesia even though it does. She also talked to someone else there that said that Babs lives in the blood stream only and cannot penetrate organs like lyme.

Of course, it becomes an issue of who really is right. I just thought I would pass this along.

I do know many lyme patients that know through symptomology that Babs has come back - I have also known people that have been on Mepron for months at a time multiple times....it sure sounds like it could be coming back for you or maybe you were reinfected?

Hang in there.

------------------
-Gretchen W.
"If I can stop one/Heart from breaking/I shall not live in vain/If I can ease one Life the Aching/Or cool one Pain/Or help one fainting Robin/Unto his Nest again/I Shall not live in Vain." Emily Dickinson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I meant to mention too that this chemist said that Mepron can deplete your digestive tract very quickly of probiotics (worse than antibiotics) and as well there have been instances of organ failure with prolonged use.
Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering if babs has not been eradicated in my own case, since some (but not all) of the symptoms I associated with it, are common again, especially the heat waves/sweating. But then lyme affects the autonomic system so maybe there is overlap of symptoms.

Have read that an exoerythrocytic stage is suspected for at least one type of babesia. Don't know whether it is worth getting tested again, certainly not an antibody test. Am guessing that a PCR might or might not find it. Gets pretty tiring having to operate on guesswork, isn't it?

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Seton

I'm sorry to hear about your reocurrence of symptoms. How many rounds of Mepron and Azithromycin did you take?...it can take up to four or five months to treat Babesia sometimes longer.

I myself took 10months and don't seem to have Babs symptoms recurring since 2003...or not yet anyway!

I'm afraid the symptoms you describe could be Babesia, the weight loss and sweats and chills, heart issues sound suspicious. In NJ you must be close to Dr B of LI - he is my LLMD and excellent, well worth seeing as he is so experienced and can diagnose clinically.

You'd most likely be better off consulting with Dr B. than a cardiologist who is ignorant to the effects of chronic Lyme.

Yes you can have negative tests and have Babesia, it dives into the bone marrow when you start to treat it.

IMHO what the chemist said that Lymied consulted is incorrect..Babesia probably can reside in the tissues and one month Mepron wouldn't effectively treat a chronic babesia infection.

All the best
Emma

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Yes, Emma I fear what you say is correct. My heart sank when you mentioned bone marrow...nothing is sacred with these infections. I have heard too many people say they had to have months of treatment and that it has relapsed. I guess I was pretty happy to hear from word of mouth what these chemists had to say...hoping and praying it won't come back on me. I have also heard the use of Artemisin has really helped many deal with Babs.
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to see you back.

If you test positive for Babesiosis, try Riamet available in Europe. I have had it sent several times from Germany. If you do not get a positive test, try ART. We had a negative Bowen test while still having symptoms that was negated by ART test which was positive. These critters hide in pockets and are not showing up when we want them.

Two or three courses (60 hours each with 24 tablets) of Riamet often do the trick. It did for us with less. Mepron for a lot of money did not help either my husband or myself.

If you have not addressed your teeth or cavitations/old wisdom tooth sites or heavy metals, cardiac problems a very common from these. The metals settle there and hamper the functioning.

Following publication:

"Marked Elevation of Myocardial Trace Elements in Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy Compared With Secondary Cardiac Dysfunction

Frustaci, A., Magnavita, N., Chimenti, C., Caldarulo, M., Sabbioni, E., Pietra, R., Cellini, C., Possati, G.F. and Maseri, A. Department of Cardiology, Department of Occupational Medicine, and Department of Cardiac Surgery, Catholic University, Rome Italy and CEC 4Environmental Institute Joint Research Center Ispra, Rome, Italy

Journal of the American College of Cardiology

Vol. 33, No. 6, 1999, pp. 1578-1583

Objectives: We sought to investigate the possible pathogenic role of myocardial trace elements (TE) in patients with various forms of cardiac failure.

Background: Both myocardial TE accumulation and deficiency have been associated with the development of heart failure indistinguishable from an idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy.

Methods: Myocardial and muscular content of 32 TE has been assessed in biopsy samples of 13 patients (pts) with clinical, hemodynamic and histologic diagnosis of idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy (IDCM), all without past or current exposure to TE. One muscular and one left ventricular (LV) endomyocardial specimen from each patient, drawn with metal contamination-free technique, were analyzed by neutron activation analysis and compared with 1) similar surgical samples from patients with valvular (12 pts) and ischemic (13 pts) heart disease comparable for age and degree of LV dysfunction; 2) papillary and skeletal muscle surgical biopsies from 10 pts with mitral stenosis and normal LV function, and 3) LV endomyocardial biopsies from four normal subjects.

Results: A large increase (>10,000 times for mercury and antimony) of TE concentration has been observed in myocardial but not in muscular samples in all pts with IDCM. Patients with secondary cardiac dysfunction had mild increase (<5 times) of myocardial TE and normal muscular TE. In particular, in pts with IDCM mean mercury concentration was 22,000 times (178,400 ng/g vs. 8 ng/g), antimony 12,000 times (19,260 ng/g vs. 1.5 ng/g), gold 11 times (26 ng/g vs. 2.3 ng/g), chromium 13 times (2,300 ng/g vs. 177 ng/g) and cobalt 4 times (86.5 ng/g vs. 20 ng/g) higher than in control subjects.

Conclusions: A large, significant increase of myocardial TE is present in IDCM but not in secondary cardiac dysfunction. The increased concentration of TE in pts with IDCM may adversely affect mitochondrial activity and myocardial metabolism and worsen cellular function.

Other studies which relate mercury to heart disease."

Please note the number of 22,000 the mercury concentration in the heart!!!! from what is considered normal. And usually where the metals are, the Lyme take up residence.

There are mountains of research on all of it, and I have been talking about if it seems forever.

Hope this helps.

Lou, the symptoms of being cold and sweating is a very dominant part of metal toxicity as are cold hands and cold feet. Yes, the autonomic nervous system is not doing what it normally does, balancing all senses. There are so many signs. I have listed them several times here under Symptoms of Mercury Toxicity. You might want to make sure you are not forgetting something.

A negative metal challenge test means little if the mineral balance in general is out of order in the body. The body will not release any metals
if that is the case. So a lab test might also not tell the true situation. Symptoms decide, and if you have treated Lyme Disease for a long time, most likely something else is amiss.

Take care.

[This message has been edited by GiGi (edited 08 January 2005).]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Seton,

My heart symptoms have been like yours. IMO you probably need more lyme treatment.

Over a year ago I was treated for babs. Have had almost four years tx for lyme, with an 8 month break when I felt well!
I knew I was relapsing when the heart stuff started up again. It is now gone after 4 months of treatment. I am not a doctor, but think you should see an LLMD for further treatment. Cardiologists are beginning to recognize lyme because of the heart symptoms.

I began having chills and headaches again and LLMD thought I still had babs lurking.
I have just started my second month of Mepron and am feeling better. He will not
give it for more than two months.

Relapse is not uncommon when you have had it for a number of years. Not sure how long your 3 rounds of IV's were. Maybe you could tell us more about the exact treatment you've had?

Never liked that racing heart stuff and the irregular heartbeat!

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seton
Member # 267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nan,
I hear you about the heart stuff...........I hate it!!!!!!! I drive 50 miles a day to work, teach all day, then drive home. I worry sooooo much that something will happen either while I'm in the car or at work.

My LLMD is one of the best in NJ; in the country, as far as I'm concerned. However, I'm so tired of this. And........do the rest of you feel this way????....sometimes I think maybe somebody else will have the answer that ends this forever. Wishful thinking....huh??? It's just that I've been dealing with this for 25 years........since I was 15, when I was infected.........then diagnosed 10 years later.........and now 15 years later still dealing.
As for your question about treatment. I've had 3 long rounds of IV..........each time we treated until symptoms resolved and then some. I've also been on orals most of that time, except for the past year and a half. Unlike most, I've never had a NEGATIVE Lyme test.
I'm curious, with your babesia, do you get very cold? I wouldn't say I get "chills", I'm just freezing when no one else is. Then I pile on the clothes, blankets, etc. and a while later, I sweat.
I'm off to take a hot bath..........I know it's not the greatest thing, but I crave the heat. And yes, all of my other bloodwork is fine........Lyme is the only thing that's ever positive.
Thanks for listening.

Posts: 93 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samsy
Member # 6518

Icon 9 posted      Profile for samsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to add this...I was on Mepron along with Zithromax for 6 months. Prior to treatment, I had terrible night sweats and a persistent, continuous dry, deep cough. After 6 months, the cough was gone(I had it for three years). The night sweats also completely stopped. That was in June. In November the cough returned and so did the night sweats although not as bad as before. I've been back on Mepron since Dec. 20 and the cough has greatly improved and the night sweats are once again gone. Babs stinks! I wonder if it will ever be gone for good.
Posts: 20 | From Maryland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest word (which isn't so recent, it turns out) is that you have to take 10ml/2x day of mepron, or it won't be effective. Also, the U.N. recently adopted artemisinin as its first line of defense against malaria, because malaria has developed almost full resistance against quinine, mepron, and the rest.

Other Lymenetters have recommended Allergy Research/Nutricology brand. When I went to pick up a bottle from the vitamin store the other day, the salesperson looked at the bottle and said,

"This is one of our honest products."

What did he mean by that, exactly?

"Everyone who buys it says it helped them. Ten out of ten."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement