LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » EMG, worth the discomfort?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EMG, worth the discomfort?
Lymelighter
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the E(asy) M(oney) G(enerator) test worth the discomfort? Is it of diagnostic value?

How painful is it compared to accupuncture or drawing blood?

I'm trying to weigh the pros & cons.

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think the EMG was that big a deal. It was weird, but not terribly painful. For me, it did document some nerve conduction abnormalities, so it was helpful.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paisley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paisley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say absolutely not helpful and so painful. I was crying during the entire procedure. Didn't detect anything and actually demonstrated that "there is nothing wrong" with me even though I spend my day in a wheel chair.

I bit confusing hunh, since last post opposite my experience.

Regards
Paisley

Posts: 298 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey
I will never allow it again. Painful.

First, ask yourself, "if the test is positive what will they do differently?".

I found it was for diagnosing.

I asked my Nuerologist AFTER I had it, "what medicine or protocol he would change if it showed anything?". He did not know?
Have you been informed of the need for the EMG.
Good Luck
Peace,
BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I read recently that most people with Lyme do not have any positive results w/the EMG, and it is true that it could be used against you if it is negative.

I had the EMG right after I awoke with sudden onset, severe paresthesias four years ago. It confirmed for MD's that my symptoms, which are not visible, actually were valid.

So the answer depends on your situation I guess. it is also true that treatment didn't change as a result (amitryptilene or neurontin are stil suggested for me by everyone, but I don't take them) but it did help me get my family doctor to write a Lyme referral for me, as he continues to do. So it helped me financially.

Without knowing your situation, it is quite possible that the advice of the other posters is much better than my original post!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had EMG's years ago pre-lyme dx and they were incredibly painful and not worth it.

But in the past year i've had two and have found nerve damage plus they werent painful.

I had one two weeks ago and it honestly wasn't bad.

Only do it for a clear cut reason though.

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated the shocks more than the needles, having had acupuncture. But like some others, it did not uncover nerve damage.
However, my neuro said it only shows the larger nerve damage, not the smaller ones.

Also, I have learned from lyme literate neuros that many lyme patients don't show up
on this test.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should specify the intent of this test.

The MD is trying to justify using an experimental drug protocol that is expensive. It is well studied and efficacious for Neuropathy, but naturally no data for it's application with Lyme

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the occasion to have had this test twice...ounce when they thought I had post polio syndrome peripherally and later to dx reasons for painfull neurapathies (deep nerve test very painful).
both came back negative and were not helpful in any way...more of a hindurance.
it gave docs at that time more fuel for the fire that I was nuts....
I personally think the emg is worthless........zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I'd ask what impact a negative test would have on your ability to use the drug protocol. I think most people with Lyme have negative EMGs.

The EMG was incredibly painful for me. I'd put it at 8 or 9 on the pain scale. I would hazard a guess that if you have muscle pain, the EMG is worse. Because the needle is going into the muscle that is in pain.

My best way to describe it is to imagine that your muscle is being cut on the inside with an instrument that has hydrogen peroxide on it. It feels like a cut and a sting at the same time, but inside your muscle.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paisley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paisley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lymelighter,

I had a couple of thoughts when you wrote back. I was the one who said no - too painful. Though I think it really does depend on one's situation.

My neurologist even admitted that it may not say anything. He also said even if it didn't say anything, that didn't mean that there wasn't nerve damage. I wished I had listened more carefully, but I was so desparate to find some kind of answer (lyme hadn't been re-diagnosed yet).

Experimenal protocol is that for Neuropathy? If so, there is a cool option called Peripheral Nerve Surgery. If so, I met with the surgeons....they had developed it for diabetic neuropathy patients and it really works. I had the first phase done.

Words that were red flags FOR ME were:
Experimental drug + expensive + no data on lyme patients.

I've become much more cautious about drug companies (and of course insurance cos.) because they are the ones thriving.

One thing I know is that I was not drug-deficient from any of the drugs that were given to me. But, these have been the only therapies suggested in the past 19 years. I have had way too many medications with way too many side-effects For examples, steroids. Lots of steroids for me. Now I have learned how detrimental they are to lyme patients.

The drs. give the meds because that is what they know. Not fix the problem but make the sypmtoms go away. It's what they learn in med school.

Also they may be the drs. involved in the clinical trials.. And the drug companies are loving this. It's a relationship that works for them.

Hope this doesn't come across sounding like some paranoid pharmaceutical/dr. bashing lyme patient. I have been doing my research and it just so happend that your topic hit a nerve for me (provoked some thoughts).

For 19 years I wandered around in the system like a zombie. I didn't know any differently. The current traditional medical system doesn't work for lyme patients. And I have been chipping away at my old reality to learn from the experience.

I know there is propaganda and that is our worst enemy right now. There is no such thing as chronic lyme; we don't need more than 4 weeks antibotics, etc.

I will do just about anything to heal. Except listen to a dr. who isn't educated with lyme and take any more meds that haven't been recommended by my llmd.

Way more info than you probably needed but I was on a roll, which doesnt happen often.

Regards
Paisley

Posts: 298 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had two EMGs. One in 2000 and one in 2002. Neither showed any abnormalities. The tests were ordered as part of a diagnostic process to see what besides Lyme might be the cause of my weak right leg.

I found them hideously painful. I mean, the neurologist is sticking wires in your body and jolting you with electricity!

P.S. I have recovered strength in my right leg, but have very serious balance issues and muscle spasticity.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" neurologist is sticking wires in your body and jolting you with electricity! "

I thought I had heard it all. Why are you even letting these uninformed ignoramuses do this type of thing to you. Don't you ask questions first?? You have a painful inflammation in your body.

If I learned one thing from having had Lyme Disease and all the associated problems, the white coat neither makes me bow nor accept all as gospel. I ask 100 questions and if I don't get what I think is a sensible answer, we have a glorious thing called the internet.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:
" I thought I had heard it all. Why are you even letting these uninformed ignoramuses do this type of thing to you. Don't you ask questions first?? You have a painful inflammation in your body.

Wow - what a response... Well, the original poster is INDEED asking for advice and not just doing it because they are told. There also seems to be two implicit assumptions in the response above: (1) anyone who did the test is blindly following medical advice, and (2) all docs are "uninformed ignoramuses."

Do we know if it was an LLMD who ordered the test? Do we know WHY the test was ordered? I've had it done and frankly, I didn't find it too bad at all. The nerve conduction part was the most uncomfortable for me although the neurologist said it was usually the actual EMG part that bothered the most people - neither, however, were horrible FOR ME. If I had to have it again, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. It is quite individual. I had it because, in addition to Lyme, there was concern that I had myasthenia gravis, thus this was an important test for me. Nothing uninformed about it.

I also just got out of the hospital for heart stuff and pancreatitis. Had some painful tests, had some not too painful tests, had some marginal docs and had some excellent docs. I think it is neither healthy nor fair to lump all medical providers (except LLMDs) into the "junk" category or the users of such services as folks who don't question things. There is ALWAYS a continuum of competence in all professions as well as a continuum of experiences with said professions (and tests). Multiply those together and...

Anyway, the apparent sweeping generalizations about the tests, docs, and people who submit to them really got my goat. Not every symptom/illness we have is necessarily Lyme and not every non-LLMD doc sucks (and not every LLMD is great). Yeah, we've had horrible experiences, but I'm keeping the baby if not some of the bathwater.

To the original poster, whether you have the test or not has less to do with the pain (it is TREMENDOUSLY variable from person to person as you've probably noted from the posts - worst pain ever to not too bad) than it does with why the test is suggested (as echoed by a few posts already here). For me it was to rule out a disease of which I had many compelling features. If its just to confirm that you have neuropathy or for the sake of completeness, its up to you. If its because there is a legitimate alternative (or additional) diagnosis on the table, it may be worth it. If whatever you have is that serious, the 20 minutes it hurts (even if its 9/10 or something) may be a good tradeoff. Collecting data as you are doing is great and then weighing it against the potential outcome of the test is all anyone can do.

Hey, good luck with this and if you get the EMG, hope its not too painful and yields the info you are looking for.

[This message has been edited by duramater (edited 11 January 2005).]

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for everyone's helpful replies.

Aniek, the MD is not LL, and thus not adept in the IVIg protocol for Lyme. However, the MD is well versed in using it for Peripheral Neuropathy.

He's not opposed to investigating but would prefer to have test resuts to bolster the use of IVIg for both conditions.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I blue my cork. Isn't this how you say it?

to explain: No less than four neurologists, plus the Dean of Infectious Disease at the University of Washington misdiagnosed my husband with Parkinsons, even though he handed them a positive Igenex Lyme test. Parkinsons and nothing but, was their comment. Refusing treatment finally put my husband into a wheelchair and walker, unable to move at all at times. As a consequence he fell often and finally fractured his back putting him into a metal cage for four months. He lost all muscle and dropped from a 160 to 110 pounds.

He is now well, walking, driving, happy, doing all, having been treated by a doctor without tunnel vision.

To me at least - these five so-called doctors at least - remain the ignoramuses of the century.

My own experience was not much better. But thankfully I am also well now.

I am truly sorry - I didn't mean to insult your doctor(s).

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pitnum
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pitnum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say the EMG is NOT worth doing. Mine showed very positive results which they wanted to do hand surgery for. Turns out it was all caused by Lyme anyway. Thank God I went with my gut instinct. As far as the pain, if they get the needle in the correct spot it is not bad. If they miss and need to probe, then it can be nasty!
Posts: 195 | From NJ | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrdsmom
Member # 5630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrdsmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one 2 weeks ago. Wasn't as bad as everyone told me it would be. Lyme keeps me in bed for days....after the test I ran out and did shopping....so I guess it is different for everyone.

As for the results, mine were negative. Doctor says it's good...no nerve damage....ruled out a few things...looks like pain and tremors are still Lyme.....I'm relieved to know nothing else is going on....

Good Luck if you have the test!

Carol

Posts: 56 | From Belvidere,NJ USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
georgi
Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for georgi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while the test could be considered painful to most, it is the same feeling s that I have anyway and it did confrim that there was no other disease causing my pain, so that was a good reason to have it, but not a third time, it did not last that long, good luck.
Posts: 65 | From Verona, nj, us | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement