LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any super-sensitive to smells?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any super-sensitive to smells?
luvmycat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvmycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Husband Steve has been on abx since the end of December. He seems to be oh so sensitive to smells. (I just wish his listening skills were as acute HA!) I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

luvmycat

Posts: 268 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMC, my daughter even thinks her hair smells after she has shampooed it..so yes. others have this problem..Everything seems intensified to her nose..She takes a minimum of 3 showers a day because of this and OCD.
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES YES YES YES

Sorry but Im super agrivated from this.

Almost a year now. Been to the ENT, naturopath, accupuncture.

Sensitive to smells and CHRONIC VERTIGO.
Im so upset.

I used to get this only when I would get a sinus infection, but now Ive had this every day. I cant wear colognes anymore and other peoples bother me so much.

Because of this I went off my BIAXIN with permission of my LLMD. He cant even help me.
I need to be saved.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry double post

[This message has been edited by lymiecanuck (edited 15 January 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this bad. A man was talking to me one day and I was nauseated cause I could smell his ulcer. No Lie.

I smell mold a mile away, I wear no colonge. deordarant etc.

My husband put on his deordarant this morning and the smell from the other room woke me up.

Yeah, it can get pretty bad, then will get better and I don't know why, maybe yeast who knows. But the mold one was espcecially bad when relapsed and not treated. I am on week 7 of abx and the mold thing is better but the rest is getting bad again.

Used to smell something burning alot and would go looking around the house for it.

i walked into a new building and had an instant headache, and if anyone with lots of perfume comes around me feels like my head will crack in half.

Lymiecanuck

SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, I get it real bad sometimes. Not so bad now but it depends on the source of the odor. Some cleansers send me running. I sprayed some spray on primer the other day and nearly passed out. I did just a little spot about six inches round, all the windows and doors were opened too. When I was on meds it was MUCH worse. Perfumes still knock me out.

Funny side effect is I can tell if the people in the car in front of me on the highway are smoking dope, even at 70mph. I can smell it. I have proven this time and time again. I'll say to the Mrs. Do you smell that? they are getting high in the car in front of us. She'll say how can you tell were doing 70 and they are 100 feet from us. I'll tell her I can smell it, I'll pull up along side and sure enough there it goes being passed around. My kids will not get away with a thing in this house!! LOL

Sent

Posts: 1574 | From Port St Lucie, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi luvmycat,

I am sensitive to some smells now too, and sometimes I smell stuff that isn't there, that can be really strange.

Sent, I know it probably isn't funny, but you made me laugh.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have it 4 years ago. I couldn't stand any perfume at home. Basically, I used baking soda for all the cleaning.
My problem lasted about 8 months and than gone. Little had I known that it was an early sign of Lyme disease.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! My husband says I can smell an ant fart from a block away.

I know I'm overloaded with toxins, and I am seeking an appointment with Dr. S in Maryland (the creator of the cholestyramine protocol).

This is one of my most frustrating symptoms. And it gets tiresome trying to explain why I can't visit someone because of one substance or another.

Recently, our fuel oil gelled from the cold, and some had to be pumped INTO the house. The stench was overwhelming, and I was on the porch in the middle of the night, crying.

I run past people smoking in front of doors, holding my breath. I fret when someone enters an office reeking of cologne. I got sick at a laundromat because a woman was cleaning the floor with Pine Sol.

Eww. I think an ant just farted.

You know how dogs can sniff out drugs, etc.? Maybe I should apply for a job. Arf.

Steph

[This message has been edited by Starphoenix (edited 16 January 2005).]

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corinne E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corinne E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Steph,

You are just too funny, haven't laughed so hard for a long time. I was like that for so many years. Since being on prednizone (steroid drops after glaucoma operation) for 3 months, I now can't smell anything. Some tell me that can be dangerous. For years people thought I was nuts and would often get angry with me, like I was imposing on them or something. Humph!!

Corinne

Posts: 461 | From Abbotsford, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosemary
Member # 6555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosemary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi luvmycat,

could he be chemically sensitive? i hope not!!! maybe after abx it will leave too. i'm severly chemically sensitive and use all sort of neat products that don't smell. let me know if you need anything like that, i'd be more than happy to help.

my hubby is a mechanic, so he smells like oil, we wave to each other when he comes home from work, he takes his clothes off in the freezing cold mud room, runs to the shower, i bag his clothes, then we kiss later. been living with this ~ 20 years...so if you need ANYTHING, write.

rosemary

Posts: 20 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was like that for the last 20 years or so. It seemed to be part of migraine syndrome even though I was no longer getting the headaches (after learning which foods and chemicals caused them). I put huge efforts into avoiding the smells that triggered a reaction.

Since I got Lyme this problem has gotten much Better!!! I can think of 2 reasons. First, I had Bells Palsy and took a lot of Prednisone for 1 week at the beginning of my Lyme symptoms. From all I've read here this wasn't good for my Lyme recovery but did put an end to my Super Nose and other chemical sensitivities that had been out of control for so many years.

Second, After my 28 day cure didn't work last August(anyone suprised?)and I knew I'd be on abx a long time I went on a strict anti yeast (candida) diet.

For the first 3 months I was very strict and ate primarily meat, vegetables and nuts and a little fish (lower mercury ones) and a little yoghurt. Now I have added in a little cheese & beans. I cheat only once or twice a week if I'm eating out and have a little rice or crackers. No big cheating though.

Food lists from wholeapproach.com have been helpful. I think that this diet, plus probiotics (Primal Defense) have improved my health greatly. I am of course at the same time really sick with Lyme but many symptoms that plagued me most of my life are vastly improved. I think it is likely this diet would have helped me long ago.

I've gotten really creative at preparing foods on this diet and will stick with a modified version of it once I beat Lyme.

So, if your nose is turned up too high, my advice is: consider this diet and remove every trigger you can from your home and workplace. I opened my own company so I could have a fragrance free environment!

The absolute worst triggers for me were scented products especially candles and air fresheners, Bounce fabric softener sheets, scented detergent, perfume, scented deodorant, carpet fresh... All are poisons and must be removed. Also I had extreme reactions to mothballs.

I was also having trouble with formaldehyde coming from new kitchen cabinets. I noticed improvement after getting a big air filter that removes gasses. It also has a blue light that kills germs. My filter is called Sun-Pure, I ordered it from the Harmony catalog. It has been working great for approx 6 years. Worth every cent. Several neighbors bought them after noticing how much better they felt in my apartment.

You're not alone-
h&s

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom (who also has Lyme) has this. She has become more and more sensitive over the past year or so. My dad used to burn incense in his office downstairs but now he can only do it when she's not in the house. Any scented candles have to be kept in closed rooms, and she can't handle any other strong scents. She's the same with food - she's overly sensitive and can't handle strong spices or tastes.

--Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click here to join Lyme Pals.

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Lyme Out Retreat Information Webpage

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, always was but am MUCH BETTER to date! The last 2-3 months, I can finally go to the grocery store w/hubby; he's been buying all these years alone!

Yes, smells: perfume, cologne, hairspray, office supplies, certain foods, diesel oil, some cleaning supplies so I could NOT even go to the grocery store for around 5-7 years!

Of course, cigarette/cigar smoke was no. 1 and I could not be around smoker's clothes!
Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I smell. I have been trying to get away from myself for more than today

Ok no honestly, yes I am super sensitive to smells, big time.

I can't stand the smell of cooking ground meat, cleaners, GASOLINE ( UGH), certain chemicals like my idiot live in keeps using ( some wood staining crap)

and perfume. A lady walked by me the other day at the hospital and I politely asked her if she BATHED in her perfume.

I WAS doing good until SHE came along.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonestartick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonestartick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that hypersensitivity to smells is pretty common among Lyme patients. The term for it is hyperosmia. Parosmia is the term for olfactory hallucinations or smelling things that aren't actually there. Hyperacusis, or super sensitive hearing, is also common in Lyme patients.

This is something I've read more about as a model for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Chaudhuri and Behan explained that these symptoms are a result of acquired neurological channelopathy which results from damaged cellular ion channels

According to Chaudhuri and Behan, ``The olfactory (nose) system is a very fast route to the limbic system, and the cells in the limbic system seem to have very excitable ion pores, therefore hyperreactivity is likely.'' http://www.ahmf.org/99booth.html Fallon has also written about the ways Lyme disease affects the limbic system - Lyme rage, for instance.

I believe Free2reckon discussed this phenomenon as an explanation for why Lyme patients often experience exaggerated static shocks. While I was sick with Lyme, I found that I was always shocking the heck out of myself whenever I would open my car door. There were times when it really hurt.

Of course, at the time, I didn't realize that the same mechanism was probably responsible for my increased ability to smell and my super sensitivity to sounds. These symptoms got worse after I first began IVs. For a while, I could walk around the block and tell where dogs had marked because the smell was so strong to me. Sure enough, I would look in the direction of the smell and up to 10-15 feet away, the grass was almost always still slightly damp. Fortunately, all of these symptoms are now a thing of the past so I don't believe that the channelopathy is necessarily permanent.

Posts: 487 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So your saying these are permanent?

I sure hope not.

What is Im not super sensitive to sounds just smells and have chronic vertigo ear pain and phlegm,,what does this mean?

Thanks

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corinne: I'm glad to have brought you a chuckle!

You can't smell anything? Is there anything "they" can do for that? Should your sense of smell return after a period?

My mother's boyfriend can't smell anything, but he had a brain injury.

Yikes.

Steph

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corinne E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corinne E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Steph, I don't know if it is from the prednisone or the eye operation and whatever else docs gave me. I had a lot of medications. I smoke (3 a day), I know I know not good, I can't even smell that.

Although I did smell something the other day (Thursday). I had left my lights on (-12 degrees C here), of course car did not start. Eventually found someone to give me a boost, except with my poor eye sight in poor light, I put cables on wrong anodes, whoo boy, the smell was horrible, another 2 seconds and battery would have been on fire. Worst problem was the person who gave me the boost was a coworker and I dreaded to think what it would have cost me to buy her a new batter for the brand new lincoln continental. Well her car was ok, and for some reason, mine was ok too, except I can still smell a lingering odor, others call it a very strong odor.

I don't miss smelling all the things that really bother me, but notice that I still get the migraines, etc., with some chemicals, and perfumes.

I don't consider it a problem, but sure would love to be to smell the roses, in more ways than one. I don't know if one of the side effects of prednisone is loss of smell so will check.

You know I think lyme is far worse than most people realize. Let's see I can't see to well, I can't hear too well, I can't taste too well, my hands are kind of numb lately. What's the fifth sense? That's probably diminished too. I am a mess, no not really, I still have my mind, at least it is still fucntioning, I think.

Corinne

Posts: 461 | From Abbotsford, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corinne: Brrrr. And I'm complaining about it being six degrees F!

I took oral prednisone for three-and-a-half years due to an inaccurate diagnosis. I don't think it causes a loss of smell, but I'm not certain.

I'm glad, though it was unpleasant, that you smelled that acrid odor. I know it's important to have a sense of smell at least to detect dangerous substances. I guess that's still working for you! I hope you can smell the pleasant things soon!

Mmm. I love the smell of roses, too. And I love the smell of bookstores and bakeries!

Steph

P.S. Lyme stinks!

sarahlea1717
Member # 6783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahlea1717   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if I have Lyme yet, but I do have a hypersensitivity to smells and noises. Strong smells usually trigger migraines from me. I was chopping fresh cilantro one day and got a terrible migraine. I learned that I have to stay away from fresh cilantro. I also get terrible migraines from permanent markers and really strong air fresheners. Smoke also bothers me.

I thought the post about static shocks was very interesting. I'm always getting shocks! For the longest time I would get a shock every single time I would get out of my car. Good thing I don't have the hand strength to fill up my car with gas.

This brings up another thought for me, and it will probably sound crazy. Has anyone seen this little yellow chicks that they sell near Easter - when you put a finger on the two metal pieces on the bottom it will chirp. It doesn't work for me! The only way it works is if I get my fingers wet, and oddly enough on top of my head. Does this have something to do with the static shock thing? Or maybe I'm some type of mutant. :P

Posts: 26 | From West Bend, WI, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

What helps this go away!!

Any suggestions.. please

LeapinLizards
Unregistered

I have chemical sensitivities.
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had chemical sensitivities for years...allergies to mold that would frequently end in migraine with aura. With lyme treatment I have found that I am cycling through the sensitivity - some weeks I am more sensitive then others...interesting.

Starphoenix, I am still laughing about ant farts!

Hatsnscafs - Thanks for the great links! I have been looking for a good air filter/ionizer - as well trying to start a serious candida free diet! So those are great. As well, I have found Primal Defense to be the most beneficial supplement I have taken!

------------------
-Gretchen W.
"If I can stop one/Heart from breaking/I shall not live in vain/If I can ease one Life the Aching/Or cool one Pain/Or help one fainting Robin/Unto his Nest again/I Shall not live in Vain." Emily Dickinson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the exact opposite. Since Lyme I can't smell anything. I understand this is common with Lyme too.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband says that I can smell someone farting in a plane overhead! .....

[This message has been edited by daniella (edited 20 January 2005).]

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Im bumping this because Im even more sensitive to the musty smell in the house latelly and the outdoor allergies.

Constant post nasal drip,
Profound fatigue
Burning eyes
Vertigo

Antihistamines dont really touch it, neither does singulair.

Cant seem to get rid of the sensitivity to the candida toxin. Nervous system issues?

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
MULTIPLE CHEMICAL SENSITIVITIES

I've been dealing with this for years. I've even passed out from someone's perfume or hair spray. While sensitivity to smells may range from just annoying to a "knock-out" for days even after an exposure, here are some sites to offer information.

Molds can be an allergy &/or from a chemical reaction and both a "hit" to the brain and the liver. This is explained a little below, but persons with impaired detox pathway of the liver's Cytochrome P-450 pathway often are also affected by mold, overwhelming the brain with a sudden "fog" or headache. Immune support can be helpful for this as can liver support mentioned below.

This post is long (sorry) but it's just a sampling from a huge volume of literature. Sometimes something so simple as adding fish or krill oil and other good Omega oils can actually be just the ticket to improvement.

It helps to use personal care products that are scent-free, totally, but that is not easy as many have added perfumes and not listed it. That is another whole search, though. Once the scent "kindles" the brain - even if it's just a slight whiff - the brain can remain excited.

Just as with light sensitivity and sound sensitivities (hyperacusis) the sensitivity not just to smells but to the chemicals in just about everything can cause a wide range of symptoms for lyme patients.

This may be categorized at Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS) or Environmental Illness. Some researchers say the brain gets mixed signals and some say the problem lies with damage or stress to the liver detoxification system - the Cytochrome P-450 pathway.

With lyme, as it is toxic, the C P-450 pathway is very stressed.
The brain's neuro pathways are also compromised. The adrenal/endocrine system is also stressed.

All of that can lead to the development of MCS as part of the overall picture.

Many, with treatment, say that such sensitivities resolve.
However, once is has developed - or been sensitized - it often stays on until resolution of overall symptoms.

Some things that help are GENTLE but adequate detoxification methods and liver protection (supplements such as milk thistle are nearly vital).

In some cases, a latent genetic porphryia may have been uncovered due to deficiency in the ability of the liver to make necessary specific enzymes to detox certain classification of chemicals) . . . or a secondary porphryia may develop and once support measures are taken and the chemical load is lessened it may resolve.

Immune system support as well as attention to the neurological aspects of MCS helps many. Some researchers point to the brain's sensitivity in some cases of MCS as being seizure-like (even if the patient does not show a true seizure) that the brain "hit" or sudden brain fog is truly an assault.

Neurontin has been used by some researchers to help the brain not feel so "hit" although it would still be wise to eliminate all harmful chemicals from one's environment. Sometimes, that all it takes to see relief.

MAGNESIUM is one of the most helpful supplements as it is both a detoxifying agent and it calms the NMDA receptors, thereby settling down the reactions. Certain good fatty acids (EFA's), too, help.

While there are many researchers working on this, the condition is discounted by many in the medical field, rather much like lyme.

The CFIDS Association has done much to explain MCS. The raised NMDA brain receptors are the result &/or one connection.
Calming agents (like magnesium) can often help lower the NMDA excitatory receptors.

Avoiding all forms of aspartame such as nutrasweet/equal and MSG, by all of its names, is vital as those are excitatory to the brain and toxic in nature. (Blaylock)

By Googling "CFIDS, MCS" you can choose from several articles and lectures. Some of these are excellent at explaining what may be happening and suggesting what we can do to improve.

Most find that by eliminating all scented products and harsh household cleaning chemicals they feel better. Some essential oils are bit "hits' for MCS patients, though. Lavender is pretty much like a baseball bat while others do okay with a true citrus essential oil (not synthetic). However, many persons with MCS must avoid scents altogether and find even being around those who used scented shampoos to be torture.

If one has a gas stove, turning on the exhaust fan BEFORE igniting the burner and again right BEFORE it is turn off can draw in the chemical added to the gas (that rotten egg smell) is a trigger for most with MCS as it requires that C P-450 liver pathway.

Also, if a home has a gas stove or gas furnace, frequently opening windows at both the lower and higher level can help air out the house.

"Endocrine disruptors" - Actually, even if someone is not bothered by perfumes and scented products there is growing evidence that they (and pesticides, etc.) are endocrine disruptors and can have detrimental effects on many levels for anyone.

======================================
LINKS

www.mcsrr.org

MCS REFERRAL & RESOURCES

Professional outreach, patient support, and public advocacy - devoted to the diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, and prevention of MULTIPLE CHEMICAL SENSITIVITY and MULTI-SENSORY SENSITIVITY

=======================================

www.chemicalsensitivityfoundation.org/

THE CHEMICAL SENSITIVITY FOUNDATION

Click here to play Chemical Sensitivity: A 15-Minute Introduction

Click here to read the transcript of Chemical Sensitivity: A 15-Minute Introduction

www.mcsrr.org/1999Defn.pdf - See the 1999 MCS Consensus Definition

Click here (at the link) for the Selected Bibliography of Research Articles. - six pages of studies and articles on chemical sensitivity published in peer-reviewed journals.

Click here (at the link) for a copy of the QEESI questionnaire, which is useful for evaluating a person's level of chemical sensitivity or intolerance.

www.ciin.org/

THE CHEMICAL INJURY INFORMATION NETWORK

The Chemical Injury Information Network (CIIN) is a support and advocacy organization dealing with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS).

It is run by the chemically injured for the benefit of the chemically injured, and focuses primarily on education, credible research into MCS, and the empowerment of the chemically injured.

====================================

www.cfids.org

CFIDS Association of America

Search literature for MCS at www.cfids.org/search/search.asp

=====================================

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Multiple chemical sensitivity - 599 abstracts

MCS, kindling - 14 abstracts

Multiple chemical sensitivity, CFS - 22 abstracts

Multiple chemical sensitivity, porphyria - 3 abstracts

Multiple chemical sensitivity, Cytochrome P-450 - 2 abstracts (see abstract by Pall)

==================================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_chemical_sensitivity

Multiple chemical sensitivity

-

[ 26. May 2008, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Someone above mentioned sensitivity to sounds as well.

Often those who are sensitive to one category of stimuli may also be sensitive to others as well. Again, it can be the liver &/or the neurological "kindling". This is common with lyme patients and, again, treatment and support measures often help resolve symptoms if lyme is the only factor.

The literature from the CFIDS Association above also explains some process and suggestions for support - here, too, magnesium should also help. If you have bartonella, though, ask your doctor how much you should take.

----------------------------------------------

www.hyperacusis.net

THE HYPERACUSIS NETWORK . . . consists of individuals who have a collapsed tolerance to sound.

----------------------------------------------

Various other links regarding hearing/balance and excitatory processes can be found here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links

---

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A_Caro
Member # 15191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A_Caro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that Candida albicans can also cause strong reactions to smells. I suppose it would not be altogether impossible for it to be due to yeast imbalance because of antibiotic therapy.

Lyme syptoms vary so much and some of its symptoms overlap with those of candida yeast imbalance (which is common with long-term antibiotic use). It's hard to tell what causes each symptom!! Perhaps a good clue would be to monitor this symptom. If it improves throughout the long antibiotic treatment it probably isn't yeast-related and vice versa.

Caro

Caro

Posts: 12 | From WISC | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A_Caro:
I read somewhere that Candida albicans can also cause strong reactions to smells. I suppose it would not be altogether impossible for it to be due to yeast imbalance because of antibiotic therapy.

Lyme syptoms vary so much and some of its symptoms overlap with those of candida yeast imbalance (which is common with long-term antibiotic use). It's hard to tell what causes each symptom!! Perhaps a good clue would be to monitor this symptom. If it improves throughout the long antibiotic treatment it probably isn't yeast-related and vice versa.

I think it is OFTEN related to Candida.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just read the subject line and then tutu's post on this thread.

it caught my eye because i have noticed that i have times when i am very sensitive to smells.

this just happened recently right before i had the big inflamed brain and swelling thing going on.

when i look back i recalled two things.

1. i had not listened to my brain and over did it.

2. i had canned cranberries which tasted great but i later learned have a lot of sucrose in them

i also had been drinking arizona green tea which i later learned had sucrose in it or corn syrup or something like that

both of the above i try to avoid because it changes the chemistry in my brain and i think i am dying or i want to do or i think about dying.

so it might be the sugar thing causing the increase sensitivity to smells.

this has not happened just once since coming down with lyme, but many times.

but why the trigger. why was ok one day and not the next?

bottom line is i do believe staying away from yeast and sugar are good ideas in general.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I think when our blood glucose level is out of the desired range (whether high or low) it can really tweak lots of things, too.

With any infections - acute or chronic, bacterial or fungal - insulin and glucose levels may bounce around a bit. And that sets off a cascade of reactions.

-

Alv
Unregistered

Me too.Could not stand any smell or went to the store...I will get out of the mall quicly as I would feel SO DISSY from the parfume and I felt like my blood preasure was getting lower..

My son that has LYME has the same thing and he wants to go out for fresh air he never stayed on a mall it would make him very agrivated as he did not know how to say it and he was about to run out all the time.Now I know why!.

squashlyme
Member # 12865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squashlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drug NAMENDA (used primarily for Alzeheimer's) has off label uses for lyme patients with respect to noise, light and smell sensitivity. Also beneficial for word-finding and memory troubles. I have tried it over
the last month and it has helped. Also Lamictal, an antidepressant has many qualities to help lyme patients. From the chemical sensitivities to improved energy. The only two things I have found to help with these issues.

Posts: 48 | From nj | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
squashlyme
Member # 12865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squashlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drug NAMENDA (used primarily for Alzeheimer's) has off label uses for lyme patients with respect to noise, light and smell sensitivity. Also beneficial for word-finding and memory troubles. I have tried it over
the last month and it has helped. Also Lamictal, an antidepressant has many qualities to help lyme patients. From the chemical sensitivities to improved energy. The only two things I have found to help with these issues.

Posts: 48 | From nj | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally. And in the most surprising ways. Like I was visiting somewhere and they popped popcorn. I was out the door due to the smell of burned oil. We had to air the whole house out for me to be able to come back in, and they were upset because it was cold out!

Ok - yes, I have been able to change what seems like unchangeable symptoms!

First example: when I started 150mg clindamycin around the clock(4x/day), my sensitivity to smell was down within three days. By the end of a week, I could stand next to a smoker. Not that I want to, but I was really impressed that I could! I was treating Lyme, no co's.

Second example: ironically, even tho we're smell-sensitive, I also lost a lot of my ability to smell/taste. I was able to get a change in that situation too: I did 20 sessions of the Lumatron light machine. First week involved staring at flashing violet light for 20 minutes each day. Rest to the weeks I stared at flashing blue light for 20 minutes/day.

After my first session of staring at flashing violet light for 20 minutes(flashing 6x/second in a dark box), I went outside and could smell everything in the field. It was overwhelming. That renewed sense of smell lasted a year and a half.

The blue light calmed me.

Explanation is that light entered the eyes, went to the brain and restimulated it.

You can google for Lumatron Dr John Downing - the inventor, and see where it might be if you want to check it out.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement