LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl Experiences Please??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl Experiences Please??
EZ-E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EZ-E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lyme Doc gave me the option of adding it to my Vantin..Says it's a cyst popper...I got a script, but am waiting. I've got family comin' out in 2 weeks, & don't want a relapse. Thanks for any info...E
Posts: 103 | From LAS VEGAS | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solsearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solsearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed pretty badly on Flagyl, but I never took it more than three days in a row. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had taken if for a more sustained period of time.

I mentioned this to my doctor this past Thursday, and he prescribed Tindamax instead. It absorbs slower, so it has fewer negative side effects. The jury is still out on its effectiveness. If I don't feel better, I'm going to request Flagyl again. At least that felt like it was doing something, even though it made me feel horrible as if all of my symptoms were magnified. I suspect prolonged use would help.

Scott

Posts: 112 | From St. Petersburg, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl can make you very, very sick for up to four months after you start taking it. As someone else said, tinidazole is supposed to be better, but you will probably still get a herx.

I took flagyl every day for almost two years, then found out that a lot of the "cyst" symptoms were really a bartonella co-infection. That doesn't mean flagyl isn't great for cysts, but you might want to make sure you don't have babs or bart before starting on such a heavy duty abx you might not need.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

My husband is on Vantin (2xday) and Flagyl (3xday). We have the same LLMD as you do. (actually it's not Flagyl but Metronidazole which is the generic)

He is doing great on this combo and has been completely symptom-free for 3 months. He is going to go off all meds at the next visit. (cross fingers!)

He began taking this combo 5 months ago when he had felt about 90% better. The first month he had some herxing during the end of the first week and also at about the 1 month mark. Nothing horrible, but pretty tired during those times. I believe he herxed the next month once for 3 or 4 days and hasn't noticed anything since. He works 60+ week and runs 6 minute miles each day. He used to be asleep on the couch by 7 each night and had some neuro symptoms when he was diagnosed 1 year ago. Obviously, he didn't have a tremendous amount of spirochetes in cyct form when he began daily flagyl. I think this drug would be more difficult to take if you were currently pretty sick and had lots in cyct form. How would you know how much is in cyct form? Who knows... But for my hubby it was extremely tolerable.

I am on the same combo. But I was switched from the Vantin to the Biaxin XL 2 months ago because I had been on the Vantin for 5 months before adding Flagyl, and he wanted to try something else to do the "killing". (Vantin was an excellent drug for me, too. Much much improvement on it.)

I too have been feeling 100% for more than 3 months and am ready to try to go off all abx. I've been a little reluctant to yet because my symptoms were so severe, unlike my husband's whose were mild by comparison.

Anyhow, we both did great on Flagyl which was added in near the end of our treatments. All of our bloodwork has been completely normal each time (liver included).

You could ask if you could try it for a week and see what happens and then take a break if it's rough, if LLMD agrees. Then go back on after company goes. This is just a suggestion; check with the good doc first. But I make this suggestion knowing that many LLMDs will "pulse" Flagyl anyhow. Also, another suggestion: maybe get doc's permission to try it at half dose for the first month (ramp up). That's what we both did.

Sorry for long-winded response. Good luck

Leslie

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there EZ,

I take Flagyl with the rest of my orals for 1 week out of the month.

Thank God!!! I keep telling myself, it's just one week!!

Flagyl for me is pretty tough to take. I get diarrhea and some tendon problems. Also my neuro problems seem to worsen along with anger escalation.

Usually when I have to take it I plan a down week.

Posts: 6164 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EZ-E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6436

Icon 7 posted      Profile for EZ-E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thanks ALL! Appreciate the input. Congrats Leslie, & your hubby. Sounds like you all are doing GREAT!! I'm only 11 weeks in on the Vantin, & have improved hugely, still a long way to go though. My eyes are 100% usually, & 97% when they're bad. That is a HUGE improvement!! Good Luck All!!
Posts: 103 | From LAS VEGAS | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cigi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on flagyl with zithromax for only a month. I was on zoloft for depression. Something happened to me on the flagyl. I feel as if I hadn't been the same personality since. The anxiety is 100% worse, and it sounds crazy, but my nose has been almost vibrating since the flagyl. I'm off flagyl (my doc does only one month at a time) 1000 mg 7 days per week, off zoloft because my sodium plummeted down to 114, ended up in the hospital till my sodium went up, taken off zithromax and waiting to go on a different antidepressant. They're nervous because of the sodium episode. Don't know what happened, but the last time I felt like myself was a month ago, personality wise for a day. At least I had one good day out of this nightmare at this point is my life. I hope you have better luck - maybe just this is my immune system out of whack.
Cigi

Posts: 320 | From Upstate, NY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl was an evil drug for me. I was only on it for 10 days. I could net got near the prescribed dose. I could barely scrape myself off the floor during that time.

I took it for C-Diff. It did stop the diarrhea. So, in that sense it was good.

I know that some swear by it and it is often used as the "clean-up" abx to get what's left after a long, successful run with other abx.

All I can say is try it and see how you feel. I would recommend starting on 1/4 of the dose and work up to the full dose over a few days. But, ofcourse, discuss this with your MD.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my body is infected with cast iron ketes because flagyl (oral) did nothing. I worried a lot when I was first prescribed it because I had heard such horror stories about its power.....but,nothing...

I actually fared better on tinidazole and had a great 6 month run on that. It never ceases to amaze me that there is so much individuality in how this bacteria responds to drugs....
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EZ-E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6436

Icon 7 posted      Profile for EZ-E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Interesting stuff...kinda scary......Thanks All!!
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been on flagyl for a little over 4 months and doing really well. Also on zithromax. Feel this combo has really helped me in my progress.

It gave me stomach problems at first, though annoying, it was tolerable.

I herxed pretty steadily at first. In fact had my longest herxes on this combo. Plan to stay on these meds for 6 months.

Everyone is different, always listen to your body. I think herxing is beneficial as long as it's not "too much". Only you can be the judge. Also, pay attention to side effects, allergies, interactions with other drugs or just general intolerance to meds before continuing and read, read, read. Keeping a journal helps a lot too.

I did 17 months of other abx combos before doing the flagyl/zithromax. My guess is that it would've been very difficult to impossible to do this combo with a high spirochete load.

I'm thrilled with my progress. This combo is clearing up a lot of symptoms for me.

Best wishes.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on flagyl or metrondiazdole on and off 6months at a clip over 3.5 yrs.
Cant really say it bothered me felt a little pumped up tight sometimes but csant say for sure if it was that bad taste in mouth sometimes though.

The ones that bothered me the most were levaquin popped three tendons,

doxy yuk need plenty of water with that one stomach ewww,

biaxin ringing ears,

ceftin yeast in mouth use lots of acidophilis with that one no no no sgar at all,

The rest and theres alot didnt really bother me.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was rx'd Flagyl and Amoxicillin in April for H. Pylori - this would also have the bonus of attacking Lyme.

But, the Flagyl - for me - was to intolerable that I just could not continue with it. I did about 5 days then stopped as it was so bad. Then after a 3 day break, I restarted, but second time was just as bad. I tried to be brave, but it was too much.

It could have been because I had not been on any abx previously to lower Lyme germ-load. So, it's possible that if I take it down the line, I would not have the same horrible herx.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EZ-E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EZ-E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again all........I'm already havin' a slight backslide, & I haven't even started Flagyl yet.....Family pizzin' me off from a 1000 miles away, I think is why......grrrrrr....
EZ-E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6436

I started relapsing walking & fatigue wise on Thursday. I started Flagyl saturday anyway, & am barely walking now. My left ankle is swelling, like I was on steroids. Stupid me. I'm stopping Flagyl for now. I gotta get walking decent again. GEESH!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement