LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » A "love" letter to the CDC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A "love" letter to the CDC
Thomas Parkman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Parkman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Members of the List:
I submit herewith the letter I have just mailed to Dr. Julie Geberding, the Director of the Centers for Disease Control. I sent along with it a copy of my letter to 60 minutes. If she reads them both I do not doubt she may develop a major case of heartburn. One can but hope. Cheers.

January 19, 2005

Dr. Julie Geberding

Director

Centers for Disease Control

1600 Clifton Road

Atlanta, GA

Dear Dr. Geberding:

Two weeks ago the CBS news program 60 minutes aired a report on the case of Dr. James Short, a physician here in South Carolina, and the controversy which has developed in his case. He practices what is commonly called alternative medicine. Two patients of his died under highly questionable circumstances and as a result he is being investigated and faces possible criminal and civil actions. Part of the reports about him centered on his treatment of certain patients for lyme disease. I myself am ill with lyme disease and in my case it is incurable. I wrote a letter to the editor of 60 minutes in which I addressed the issues raised by the report about Dr. Shortt's treatment of lyme disease. At the same time I addressed the issues involved in the reporting, diagnosis and treatment of lyme disease nationally.

I bring that letter to CBS News to your attention because in it I discuss the role the Centers for Disease Control has played in the development of the present conditions in regard to lyme disease. The blunt truth is that we are at some point in an epidemic of a crippling and in many cases fatal infectious disease. Nobody knows where we are because the American medical profession and the public health agencies charged with protecting the health of the American people have failed the American people and failed the American people miserably. People are sick, disabled and dying of an horrendous illness and they cannot get treatment. Not only are they being denied diagnosis and treatment they are actually being abused.

A few weeks back a woman whom I know went to a doctor in Greenville, South Carolina. She has been ill with lyme disease for years and has suffered terribly. She is the patient of the one lyme literate doctor in either North or South Carolina who is willing to openly treat patients according to their needs. She wanted to find a primary care physician near her home who would have some knowledge of lyme disease. . She made an appointment and went in to see this doctor. The doctor started yelling at her to get out of his office and screamed at her that she was wasting his valuable time. This ranting went on for something like five minutes. The woman was in tears. The doctor told her that she would not find a doctor to treat her in Greenville and that she would not find a doctor to treat her anywhere in South Carolina.

That is nothing but the truth. Except in the rarest of circumstances people cannot get a proper diagnosis, much less get any adequate treatment for lyme disease in South Carolina. Huncreds of people have had to go out of state to recieve medical care that even recognizes this disease. I know of two cases where mothers have pulled ticks off of their small children, one of whom developed a bull's eye rash and they went to their pediatricians and were told that lyme disease is not a problem in South Carolina. Needless to say neither child recieved any treatment from either of these doctors. One doctor told a woman that I know that he was not going to waste his time on some bizarre illness of which he would see one example in a lifetime. When I told my doctor of twenty years that I had been diagnosed with lyme disease he told me I was crazy and asked me in a sarcastic tone of voice: ``Are you in pain all the time?'' The fact that I told him I was in pain all the time made no impresseion. He then entered in his notes ``Quote, lyme disease, Unquote.''

This situation does not just exist here in South Carolina but is common all over the United States. The medical profession is in a massive state of denial where lyme disease is concerned. This attitude is directly attributable to the positions taken by the Centers for Disease Control. Unfortunately the understanding of the Centers for Disease Control, public health agencies as a whole as well as conventional medical practice is ten to twenty years out of date as far as lyme disese is concerned. The positions of the CDC with regard to the diagnosis and surveilence of the disease, as clearly admitted by your newsletter of May 7, 2004, have no basis in either science or fact. They are intellectual gibberish of no use to anybody.

While my comments about the Centers for Disease Control are severe they are nothing but the plain truth. I bring this to your attention because the health of the American people, not politics or the health of the American insurance industry or the health of certain bureaucratic and professional egos is your moral obligation and professional responsibility. I would appeal to you to read the letter I have sent and to address the issues raised in it on the basis of science and human compassion. The American people have a right to expect nothing less.

Sincerely,

Thomas M. Parkman

4409 B Trenholm Road

Columbia, SC 29206

[email protected]

Posts: 341 | From Columbia SC 29206 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great letter - I hope they will take notice.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrisKraft
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrisKraft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravo Thomas!
You are the Mark Twain of Lyme.

--KrisKraft

Posts: 245 | From Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful job, Thomas! Pitiful that something like this even has to be written!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are so beautiful!

But ya left off one thing.

There should have been a P.S. at the end of the letter that said..

KISS MY GRITS!

Way to go Mr. Master of the English language!

I'm sooooooooooooooooo proud of you!

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Thomas!
What a letter!!

I know it had to take a lot of effort.....
and a lot of self control.
I know what you REALLY wanted to say & HOW you wanted to say it.!!

It's great to see the positive responses.
Especially to see Miss Tincup is back with us & giving her stamp of approval, too.

Didn't think of it earlier, but it would have been a good idea to send copies to whoever is now head of Health & Human Services, to the President, & Dr Frist(forgotten his title, may be Senate Majority Leader? from Tenn), & anyone else in high places.

Big question -
Who ya gonna write next, Thomas?

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great letter Thomas, I wish I could write one like that.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah!!! Go get em Thomas!!
Posts: 6137 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a dream, as Martin Luther King said, that we will one day make the world understand what the hell is going on here. And maybe with the excellent abilities of Mr. Parkman, we could make some strides in that direction.

We need a plan. We can't stop riding the buses because most of us can't ride them anyway.

We need a plan. Lots of smart people on this forum need to put their muddled lyme-infected heads together to figure it out. Mr. Parkman, who obviously can still put words together, could be our key.

We need a plan!
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wink9
Member # 4516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wink9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T !!!
Posts: 60 | From Ohio | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Thomas..Wish I could write and I would join you but just don't have any journalistic abilities..Thank God you do..
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas,

That letter is so bang-on I have goosebumps!!!! Thank you for writing and sending it.

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Job but you mispelled this.
Huncreds of people have had to go out of state

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thomas you are the tops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we need to mail these letters to Oprah show too. Why not ask her if she is willing to investigate this also might not hurt to mention Amy Tan.

Yes send it to the President all of our local senators and congressmen. I will copy this and send it to mine if Thomas does not care.

Blessings!
Mule

Posts: 124 | From Mound City MO USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take THAT Dr. Julie Dingding!!!!!!

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
believe3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for believe3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job!! When I feel better...and soon I will...I will join you in your writing. Something has to be done.

------------------

Posts: 261 | From minnesota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thomas Parkman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Parkman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Members of the List,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I admit that I cannot spell. Give me German anyday of the week. It is an awful language but it is spelled like it sounds even it the verbs come at the end of the sentence and the words are forty seven letters long. How for instance do you spell surveillance? I always leave out a letter or reverse consonants. I go back and forth to the dictionary and when I cannot find the word, then I KNOW that I do not know how to spell it. But "hundreds", well that was a typo. And I try so hard to correct them. I read and reread. Try reading that letter 20 or so times. It is deadening. So a typo or two and extra punctuation marks, usually periods, that is my trade mark.
As for the letter, please send it or use it in anyway that you choose. I just wish I could get through to the reporter who did the original story on Dr. Shortt for CBS, there we might have a chance. If we could figure out a way to break through to somebody-just that one lucky break might be all that it would take.
For the life of me I cannot understand the pig-headed stupidity of these people. And we think our ancestors-or somebody's ancestors were dumb. This present generation is just as stupid as any group of homo sapheads that has ever walked the face of the earth. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Posts: 341 | From Columbia SC 29206 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas, fantastic job!

Any typos and misspellings don't bother me; after all, our brain fog is so bad that our fingers don't cooperate with our minds anyway.

Thomas/others, see the post I made today here in medical ... needing your input on addressing LYME at next Monday's CONTINUED approval of nominee Michael Leavitt to be the NEW SEC. OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES.

Thomas, with what others put together on MY post, would you be willing to summarize their concerns as well as YOUR own so I can send it to Iowa's Sen. Chuck Grassley, the chair of this nomination committee for Leavitt?

I do not know who else is on this particular committee as Grassley's home page didn't list the names of them; they didn't have a quorom & I only heard 3-4 talk.

Let's try to address OUR LYME concerns to the future sec. of H&H. Thanks all!

Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typos dont bother me either I just showed it so he didnt send it off like that to them.
But I reread it and see he already sent it.
ohwell

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement