LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Biaxin XL with Plaquenil? What do they target?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biaxin XL with Plaquenil? What do they target?
Farmerboy
Member # 5401

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Farmerboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does this combo target? How hard is it on your stomach? Any success stories?

Thanks

Posts: 22 | From Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie-MA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie-MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what they specifically target, beyond Lyme, which is the main thing I am being treated for. My understanding is that the P. helps the abx penetrate cells to truly get to where the bacteria hide.

I guess P. also helps joint problems.

I have not had any trouble on the two. To be honest, I had a pharmacist mention somthing to me once about how hard Biaxin XL is on stomachs, and I was shocked. I even take mine first thing in the a.m., before food, coffee, etc. and have had no problems. Doxy sent me over the edge when I took that also, but these two seem to be fine for my stomach.

I have definitely improved tremendously over the past 13 mos. on the drugs, though I have had relapses both while on them daily and when trying to reduce. I get to try to reduce again at the end of this month and am hopeful that I will not relapse, because I have been feeling pretty well for a little while now.

Best of luck to you.

Julie

Posts: 307 | From Byfield, MA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plaquenil is an antimalerial, so is sometimes used against babesia, although usually in addition to other anti-babesials like cipro or mepron/zith. Some have found the mepron/plaquenil combo to be a bad one, but it seems like most people (including my hubby) haven't had problems. It has an anti-inflammatory effect, so it is popular to reduce the effects (pain and swelling) of rheumatoid and Lyme arthritis. It is also used against the cyst form of Bb, although the literature is very sparse on this. It changes the pH of the blood and assists penetration of abx into the cell.

Biaxin is a macrolide, one of the abx that inhibit cell protein synthesis (rather than breaking down the cell walls). It's used for Bb and other such bacteria.

I haven't heard of this combo being used particularly against babs or bartonella, but I guess it could be. If I were you I'd confirm the purpose of this combo with your doc, so you'll know about what coinfections you're getting at, if any.

Biaxin can be hard on the stomach, but it's far from being the worst. Take probiotics, of course. Plaquenil can cause eye problems--rare, but it happens -- so you should get your eyes checked every 6 months or so. Everything is hard on the liver, so milk thistle and liver cleanses are a good idea.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klcst
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klcst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHatever you do do not take Biaxin XL. This is a time release and it is totally ineffective against Lyme. We almost lost my huband on this stuff. A nurse practitioner put my husband on XL and we couldn't figure out why he was going down hill quickly. WHen I called my LLMD and told him about my husband the doc asked if he was on XL. He told me XL is completely ineffective against treating Lyme and in some cases can be life threatening if one stays on it.
You need to be on Biaxin 500mg BID, no XL.
Lisa

Posts: 134 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lisa, i'm sorry you're husband had a tough time on biaxin xl, but most do extremely well..including me.

I was on it for over a year with plaq. and it brought me to about 90%...It's a macrolide and is used quite often for lyme...I used it with the combo of mepron also for my babesia too...

best of luck with it..xl is there so it protects the stomach...it's longer acting, therefore it gets disolved inthe intestines instead of the stomach...

lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virginia/anez
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for virginia/anez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me Biaxin XL and Plaquenil were great!!!
I took it for 3 years with no problems!!!

Posts: 49 | From greenacres,Florida,USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto for my husband and me.

I saw absolutely my greatest improvement on this combo. Took just the 2 of them for 7 months, husband took them for 6 months. We never had side effects or problems with our bloodwork. I think this is a common combination LLMDs use.

I can see in my "Pill Book - 11th edition" that there are quite a few warnings against taking it with certain other drugs. But LLMD and/or pharmacist should know this.

KLCST, was your husband on something else while taking the Biaxin XL? I'm sorry but it doesn't ring true to me that Biaxin XL is dangerous to be on for a long time, in general.

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on both. The Biaxin targeted Lyme and Salmonella. The plaquenil was symptom related, to reduce swelling. We think it may also help with babs.
Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement