LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » More antibiotics - more effect

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More antibiotics - more effect
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Amoxicillin on Tuesday 3 weeks ago with a dose 3 g/day. On the next Friday I developed symptoms associated with Borrelia toxin (Borrelia toxin symptoms are the symptoms in my case that have been removed previously by a few weeks treatment with Questran). Because I had continued to take Questran these symptoms disappeared quickly over the weekend.
On the following Tuesday I increased the dose of Amoxicillin to 4.5 g /day.
Again on the following Friday or about 80 hours later my toxic symptoms have returned and this time they were really strong. Thanks to Questran I was again almost fine on Monday after the weekend.
Last Tuesday I have increased Amoxicillin to 6 g/day. To my surprise I have again observed toxic symptoms on last Friday (yesterday). This time they were about as strong as in the first week although much weaker than last week.

Seems that the any increase in dose is killing more of the bugs every time.
How high have you ever gone with Amoxicillin dose?
I seem to tolerate this antibiotic rather well.
Have you been experimenting with doses of other antibiotics in similar way?

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Areneli:

Wow, 6Gs a day! The highest dose of Amoxy that I could get to was 16mg per day (800 BID).

You are a real trooper if you can handle 6 grams a day. No wonder you have toxic symptoms. It must be killing an awful lot of bugs and flora.

Am curious to see what others have to say.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 4000 mg a day. Worked the best in all my abx.

Never bothered me, I wasnt sick all the time. Had my 28 day herx, got over it and felt a smidget better. Wass a life saver.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please note, that initially I was very sick after Amoxicillin. I had diarrhoea and yeasts. So the trick was to increase the dose gradually.
But with second week these adverse events has calmed down and today I am fine.

I have used probiotics and antifungal diet.

Next Tue I might go even higher although I feel I am close to plateau.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious, is this per your MD's recommendation - to keep increasing the dosage? How many Gs are you trying to get to?
Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

My family doctor doesn't know much about Lyme. So I research the topic myself and apply treatment. I have mentioned before that there is no LLMD in my proximity.
The family doctor approves the treatment.
Actually, I haven't told him about the dose of 6 g/day yet as I haven't seen him recently.

Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Areneli,

Here is what I found from Dr B's list.

"*Amoxicillin- Adults: 1g q8h plus probenecid 500mg q8h; doses up to 6 grams
daily are often needed"

Maybe try the probenecid, this way you wont have to go as high, or maybe.
I dont know much about this, but others may.

Maybe you have to be monitored with high dosage, the liver/kidneys.
You dont want to do damage to these organs and then have to STOP antibiotics for while or good.

I bet there is a special way possibly to high dose this antibiotic, like off and on or for a short period of time.

Again, I dont know much about this, others may come along and know.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Thanks for your input.
I have been investigating probenecid. It brings huge risk of allergic reaction and is mostly used by people who cannot tolerate high dosages of Amoxicillin.

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 12 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you guys are sitting down....a couple of years back we had some members taking up to 27.5 GRAMS of amox a day in an attempt to get it to cross the BBB.

A pharmacologist once told me that your body simply won't absorb enough oral amox to hurt you. I guess this is why it's the abx of choice for kids.

I think to get higher concentrations you have to go to bicillin shots.

And Areneli...diarrhoea???.... what's next? haemorrhoids? You must be anal about spelling.

Like me

Charlie

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited 22 January 2005).]

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the probencid is used to get a higher half-life serum level for the amoxy, so that it stays in your body longer. it has nothing to do with amoxy intolerability.

unfortunately amoxy has a very short half-life, like 2 hrs. this is why high, multiple doses are needed throughout the day.

ramping up is a good plan. the batericidal (killing) effect of amoxy is very good.

amoxy (which is a penicillin derivative) is a beta-lactam antibiotic, and borrelia contains beta-lactam enzymes, thus the high dose is needed to cross the cellular threshold as well as the BBB and entrance to the CNS.

as far as testing just have a monthly CBC done by your dr to check liver levels, neutrophils, etc.

best of luck...

[This message has been edited by zipzip (edited 22 January 2005).]

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Maybe I should correct you guys that Amoxicillin under normal circumstances doesn't cross BBB. Rare exceptions are when there is a strong inflammation of the brain membranes. But Borrelia is not known to cause strong inflammation most of the time. There are exceptions, but most of the time inflammation is not present.
Therefore increasing its dose is most likely not going to help for neuroinfection.

It is true that toxicity of Amoxicillin is not high. Most of the time tolerability of digestive tract is the problem and that is why probenecid comes to use. It is also true that probenecid makes levels of Amoxicillin in the blood more equal over time.
At this time I have decided not to exercise this option.

zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Areneli:
Maybe I should correct you guys that Amoxicillin under normal circumstances doesn't cross BBB....

... Therefore increasing its dose is most likely not going to help for neuroinfection.

this is only true for standard dosing of amoxy, higher levels have been shown to be effective for CNS penetration of spirochete illnesses (syphillis and borrelia).

rocephin, for example, is known for its good CNS & BBB penetration at 2-4gm per day infusion.

rocephin is a 3rd generation cephalasporin antibiotic, which is penicillin derived (10% penicillin).

[This message has been edited by zipzip (edited 22 January 2005).]

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My observation is that Lyme compromises our BBB bigtime... stuff crosses it that shouldn't. I suspect a little more ABX does as well.

Bicillin, contrary to what it would seem, is a very low dose (serum level) penicillin, yet it seems to work very well for some. Common sense would say that the level is too low to do anything.

Maybe a compromised BBB works to our advantage in this instance?

(Just my musings, don't take them as a medical fact.)

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

One of my more scary and unpleasant symptoms is skin hypersensitivity present with me for over 4 months. It is most likely caused by bacteria invading directly my thalamus (the brain). I say it on the basis that treatment with Questran that has basically removed or greatly ameliorated most of my other symptoms ,haven't change skin hypersensitivity at all. So skin hypersensitivity is not caused by bacterial toxin.

Today I have been on Amoxicillin for almost 3 weeks and this hypersensitive symptom is noticeable better first time since September 2004.
This would suggest that some penetration of Amoxicillin through BBB indeed happened in my case. In spite of not having any signs of inflammation in my blood work during my sickness the brain barrier is somehow penetrable for this particular antibiotics.

Question: What antibiotics I should take after I am done with Amoxicillin that will be in 2-3 weeks?

TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrelia is an inflammatory disease, who said it doesnt cause inflammation?

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

I didn't have the slightest signs of inflammation in my lab results during my sickness. In fact all my laboratory finding appeared as of a very healthy man. It was one of the reason why my diagnosis took so long.
The bug has seemed to evade my mechasms of defense very well.

Did you have any signs of inflammation in your blood work?

Areneli
Member # 6740

Zizip,
Rocephin will always pentrate BBB (even in a healthy man) while amoxicillin can penetrate BBB only if it is damaged somehow like by a disease. In a healthy person Amoxicillin will never get to the brain.

Recipegirl05
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Recipegirl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 25. March 2006, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Recipegirl05 ]

Posts: 222 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

I don't know if the forum is moderated.
If so, can somebody please remove excesive hostile posting from Recipegirl05.

Appreciate your help

Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on IV Zithromax & Flagyl 2001-2003.

Sin I have been on oral antibiotics.

Now ramped up to current routine of --
5 days Ketek followed by ampicillin (amoxicillin?) 6 grams/day with claforan for 20 days. Then 5 days tinidazole.

Then off antibiotics for 10 days.

All the while on intraconazole 2x/week.

Hits inner and outer the B burgdorferi and varient forms. And my fungi.

It seems more helpful than any other oral antibiotic combinations I've tried.

Neil

Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

quote:
Originally posted by Neil M Martin:
I was on IV Zithromax & Flagyl 2001-2003.

Sin I have been on oral antibiotics.

Now ramped up to current routine of --
5 days Ketek followed by ampicillin (amoxicillin?) 6 grams/day with claforan for 20 days. Then 5 days tinidazole.

Then off antibiotics for 10 days.

All the while on intraconazole 2x/week.

Hits inner and outer the B burgdorferi and varient forms. And my fungi.

It seems more helpful than any other oral antibiotic combinations I've tried.

Neil

Very interesting combination.

Thanks for sharing

Areneli
Member # 6740

If anybody interested, two days ago for the fist time I started to improve in regards to my main symptom.
The symptom of hypersensitivity that was with me for about 5 months got quickly reduced to 50%. With this speed I should be symptom free in two weeks.
I took Amoxicillin at dose 7.5g/day shortly but later returned to 6 g/day and I think I will stay at this dose till the end of treatment.

Amoxicillin has definitely penetrated BBB.

cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Areneli,

I'm also on Amox. Taking 17.5g/day in combination with 200mg/day Minocycline and Plaquenil.

The particular Amox I'm taking is Amoxicillin from Ranbaxy. It's generic for Amoxil which my LLMD says is formulated to create a longer half-life time in the blood so you don't need to take it with Probenecid.

I've been on Amox for 3 weeks now and have seen only minor side effects of it.

One side effect is that I smell of Amox.

No diarheea or yeast problems, yet. I'm taking Acidopholus (8 tablets/day).

In terms of herxing like reactions I have not seen any yet.

Though, generally I feel better. But that could be the Mino too.

Michael

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

OMG, you guys get an award for the highest dose of abx! I think I would have died on 17.5Gs of amoxy per day. I was walking into walls on 1600mg. I felt so sick on this Rx and got the worst Candida. My Doc tried to up it another 800 mg and I basically lost it and everything else in my intestines within an hour.

Glad to hear it is working for you.

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One side effect is that I smell of Amox.

....Since amox is one of the penicillins you probably smell of mildew....but it just may get you well.

There's MOLD in them thar pills.....

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2bostons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2bostons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Areneli

Just wanted to let you know that I started taking Probenecid in order to increase the amount of time the bicillin stays in my system..I get weekly injections..I just wanted to let you know that I haven't had the slightest problem tolerating the medication..you may want to give it a shot...

peace cathy

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
....Since amox is one of the penicillins you probably smell of mildew....but it just may get you well.

There's MOLD in them thar pills.....

To be specific about it, the smell is identical to the smell in the urine...you know, when you go to the bathroom hours after popping Amox and pee most of it out.

I thought it was Amox. Not sure how Amox smells though...

But I know this. It sure smells of something

Michael

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Augmentin = Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid.

Clavulanic acid is, I think, a beta-lactamase inhibitor,the latter being an enzyme used by bacteria to destroy penicillins. Part of its molecular structure mimics/is the same as that part of the structure of penicillins, and, perhaps the cephalasporins(pen. derivs.), to which
the bacterial beta-lactamase binds.
So, the idea is that the clavulanic acid serves to tie up the supply of this enzyme, thereby leaving the amoxicillin intact, and thusly functionally available to kill the bacteria
It would seem to me that, by the clavulanic acid tying-up the enzyme that would render the amoxicillin ineffectual, one could thereby increase the levels of amoxicillin.
Doing so, would mean a lower dose of straight amoxicillin to achieve the desired result.

Since lyme affects the kidney, and probencid is bad for the kidney, then augmentin would be the most efficiously way to go,gifen renal involvement.

Then again there is a limit to the amount of clavulanic acid that can be taken, and so provenicid is used to get and maintain high levels.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DiffyQue,

Augmentin can be a tough ABX to stay on--can really irritate the bowel tract( sorry, not so subtle)to the point that you will be setting up lite housekeeping in the bathroom.

Cef-sporins and penicillin are Beta-lactam class ABX.

Augmentin would indeed help with Beta Lactamase activity--if you could handle the ABX load

Link explains all:
www.ratsteachmicro.com/Antibiotics/HCOE_CAI_Review_Notes_Antibiotics.htm

Take it from someone who has been on cef-sporin and augmentin at the same time---nothing is worse than toughing it out--seeing improvement---and then having to stop the treatment due to protocal difficulties---and then losing all the ground that you gained once off the ABX

It was one of my lowest periods(mentally) with lyme

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Hi 2bostons,
Have you combined high doses of Amoxicillin with probenecid? How high were the doses with probenecid?

For the rest of you:
So far I have thought that it is either high dose of Amoxicillin or lower dose of Amoxicillin (like 3 g/day) plus probenecid. Perhaps I have been wrong.

Also, has anybody combined probenecid with clavulanate? For me it is also a 'no, no' because of risk of toxicity.

I have gone for 8 g/day of Amoxicillin and again observe a flare up 3 days later.
It seems that there is a lot of logic in going really high with Amoxicillin. Each time I ramp up the antibiotic (so far) I have at least a small surge of toxin release in my body 70-80 hours later.
Questran is very helpful as its usage really well resets my symptoms shortly after any flare up.

2bostons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2bostons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Areneli

No, I have not used probenecid with amoxy..just with the bicillin injections..but I really think the probenecid is giving the injections an "extra" boost..I have made some incredible progress with this combination...I am looking at the printout my pharmacist gave me about probenecid..
here is some of the info:
Uses: is used to prevent gout and gouty arthritis.
how to use: this is best taken with food or milk to prevent an upset stomach..it is advisable to drink a full glass of water with each dose ...to prevent the formation of kidney stones..
side effects: nausea, loss of appetitie, drowsiness, vomiting..

I take 500 mg 2x a day.. The only side effect that I had was the drowsiness, but that only lasted the first 2 days...other than that I have found it very easy to tolerate!!

I hope this helps...
something to consider if it can make the abx work "harder."

Cathy

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Anyway I am on 7.5 g/day, again developed a herx reaction 3 days later. By this I mean that all my symptoms removed by Questran previously are back and are strong. They will pass in a day or two as I know from experience but I wonder where is the dose when I finally stop herxing meaning that Amoxicillin killed all what it could?

You guys on very high doses of Amoxicillin are very correct.

Have to go to see my doc to get more prescription on Amo since my supply is almost consumed.

[This message has been edited by Areneli (edited 27 January 2005).]

Areneli
Member # 6740

Today my ID doctor told me that (although he does believe I have Lyme) because of protecting his ass he is not going to give me the diagnosis of Lyme or treat me.
He suggests I find another doctor.

His concern is purely financial. With diagnosis of Lyme I may draw the Canadian system too much and he may get burnt. If treatment of Lyme would be cheap he wouldn't mind treating me.
Seems that no i.v. treatment for me in this province.

I guess he was very frank in his statement. I think he has already been burnt in the meantime (perhaps he inquired with the health board about me) because during previous meeting he was quite willing to help.

Anyway, I am doing extremely well on Amoxicillin - I am 50% better regarding my skin hypersensitivity after 4 weeks of treatment. Today I have increased the dose to 12 g/day and see if more herxing going to happened.

Guys, has anybody combined Tinidazol with Amoxicillin or remember somebody from this forum doing it with good results?

Areneli
Member # 6740

Since last Tuesday I take 27 g of Amoxicillin per day and I am fine. So far no additional herxing and it has been already 72 hours (but 48 hours after first high dose of Amoxicillin I had several mild headaches of variable locations). Funny, that I had yeast problems when took small doses but currently no traces of yeasts.

Today I feel very well: strong and in a good mood. If not for some problems with hipersenstive skin I would say I had fully recovered. I feel well intelectually.

Today I have returned to my routine exercises and weight lifting. I have to say that I did unexpectedly well while doing it.

I think I should report a success story on this forum.

Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arenelli,

How long have you had lyme?
15 years? just treating?

Or just a few years?

thanks,

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Hard to tell for sure.
Possibly had it 20 years ago for a while but the disease went undercover for a long time.

I had symptoms for the last 3-4 years and made clinical diagnosis ~2 months ago.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement