LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IBS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IBS
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not a very delicate topic, but what do you do about diarrhea? i'm not even on abx yet and this is a major symptom.. i also think it's contributing to my weightloss, which i'm trying to stop.

imodium helps, but i don't want to take it every day..

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brainless
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brainless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat peaches, bananas, cheese and good probiotics.

When my IBS is extremely painful, valium, for a few days, helps.

b

Posts: 210 | From lalaland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had IBS for 20 years. Treating for yeast and lyme finally stopped it.

It is miserable and I sympathize.
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy stopped 6 years of diarrhea for me. Before that, the most helpful things were psyllium (soaks up liquid) and probiotics, which tend to get washed out with excessive diarrhea.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psyllium and bentonite will help to bulk you up. L-Glutamine also helps. Clearing up Candida is key.

If it is really bad you should talk to your MD about a C-Difficile test. 10 days of Flagyl will usually clear that up.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psyllium Husk capsules (2am & 2pm) worked wonders for me also.

As stated above, targeting yeast also helped. I am using threelac. It is not cheap, but has helped me alot.

Good luck!

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast, yeast, and more yeast.

Up the probiotics. Ask your LLMD for Diflucan and really watch your diet. Check your PH level. You may be too acidic and producing yeast regardless of your diet. There are products that can correct this.

And the most amazing thing of all - New Chapter's SuperCritical Omega 7. Made from Seabuckthorn. Rebuilds the lining of the GI tract and mucous membranes. Stops leaky gut (which is usually caused by long-term abx and yeast).

Stopped 9 months of the runs for me. I've been off abx for over 2 months, but have suffered from IBS most of my adult life.

Here's a reliable source for it - most stores will think you're nuts asking for Omega 7 (they'll say we have 3, 6 and 9)...
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/browse/sku_detail.jhtml;$sessionid$H2WEKXKEWVXDSCQUAOYCM4QKCQB00GXK?SkuID=235568&BreadCrumbType=SearchResult

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarabear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had IBS (with bouts of constipation as well) for about 5 years, prior to ever taking antibiotics for Lyme. For me, I don't believe it was a yeast issue, but a matter of the Lyme attacking my system. It has gotten much better on its own, but now I have frequent nausea. Not sure what to doa bout it when it isn't caused by yeast...
Posts: 160 | From Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie H.,

Please edit your post and make the web site SHORTER so this post goes back to normal width so we can read w/out scrolling every line to left/right. Thanks so much; then I'll read this to help poster too. Betty G.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solsearcher
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solsearcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fibercon and a low-carb diet worked for me. I suffered from IBS for 25+ years, but no longer. Fibercon by itself may be enough for me, but I like the low-carb thing.

From the other posts, it looks like there may be different solutions for different constitutions. I hope one of them works for you.

Scott

Posts: 112 | From St. Petersburg, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering...have you "officially" been diagnosed with IBS or is it a self-diagnosis?

I ask that with no judgment because when you've been sick long enough, read enough & watch enough TV - it's an easy habit to self-diagnose stuff (at least for me).

One of my many docs dx'd me with IBS YEARS and YEARS ago - (prior to Lyme dx) and has me take Librax for when it's acting up.

When mine acts up, I like to describe it as "constipated diarrhea" and it can come with hours of super INTENSE spasms that can send me from a standing position to fetal position in 0.437 seconds (on average).

The Librax usually helps with the pain and if it doesn't help enough within a few minutes I go scrambling for the Vicodin.

I'm sure all the good nutritional advice the others gave you above is best...but as for me...when I'm in pain...I want out and immediately, so I'll take anything (legal) I can get my hands on.

If you officially have IBS, I would suggest having a gastroenterologist on your "medical team" - just so s/he can stay on top of things & make sure your colon stays pretty and healthy on the inside via an as need colonoscopy (a little invasive - but sure can calm your fears about there being anything more serious...)

Blessings,

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement