LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » VERY HIGH cholesterol levels post 8 mo iv abx--help!!!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VERY HIGH cholesterol levels post 8 mo iv abx--help!!!!!!!!
griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

Icon 4 posted      Profile for griswoldgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had my LLD take a lipid panel for the heck of it last week and they called me and I do not remember the numbers because it alarmed me so much I started to cry.

I do not eat a lot of meat, fats etc that cause high HDL---just remember combined # was either close to 300 or just over!!!!!!!!!!!--punch line have an uncle with heart disease since his forty's and mom had ms and died with heart problems at 39 in addition to several other organs failing due to her MS.

I have always been combined around 150-160--I know since 2001 they say our numbers should be 130 (I personally think that is to sell lipitor-LOL--------anyhooooooooo--got elevated liver functions --more elevated since I stopped taking iv therapy--figure that one out?????????so no statins here or any lowering meds--bad on my already bad liver

I have not let anything with saturated fat, cholesterol or simple sugar cross my lips since the phone call last week. I was a vegetarian for years---perhaps time to go back??????????

Do any of you know how many mg of cholesterol a day is okay as far as lean chicken or salmon, or other fish? They even sound high when I read the numbers and a lot of web sites suggest these as "alternatives"?

I have basically stuck to my old thinking and oatmeal for breakfast, losts of fiber, veges, fruit and legumes. I am researching garlic and other things mentioned in the search I did on this site.

If anyone has been overweight( I am 5'8" and 210--my norm is about 150-16--then I am a happy size 12--the perils of fibro, knee surgery, back surgery and lyme put on the weight), laying around most of a year and has had this sky rocketing experience with cholesterol---I would love to hear from you. I need solutions fast--quit smoking Jan 1, 2005 after smoking for 30 years on and off-yeah me!!!! so I am at risk for heart disease big time and am 45.

I JUST started to feel a bit better after the "wash out" period of stopping iv abx--was about to start oral therapy and got the phone call about HDL and elevated liver enzymes and told not to start abx-got apt at LLD Feb 1st.

I literally have slept since Christmas( abx were stopped ion 12/21)--I swear anywhere from 15-20 hours a day, weak as a kitten, and I mean dead to the world no med induced coma. I feel as that has finally lifted--so slowly I go. Started floor exercises three days ago----real simple stretch, doing my new yoga tape got for xmas today. Part of my plan is to see if I cannot get a scholarship to YMCA--during jan. no sign up fee--we will see. Need aerobic type exercise and picc is coming out so I can swim! Balance and pace is the key, this I know--been through PT so many times I know what I have to do as far as exercise and with High ldl-need to get HR up to a safe zone for me and keep it there for a while and work up to that while slowly.

Thanks for all the posts that were already here on cholesterol and lyme-at least I know I am not nuts--my total was 172 a year ago--then got hit with this.

Read a lot of places how stress can add to it--I laughed-my life has been one stress ball for 6-7 years now OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHMM!

peace

Well I was wordy as usual--any help you can serve up will be welcomed.

Cathy

Posts: 192 | From Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I say?
Liver is the organ that regulates level of cholesterol. Perhaps something has been damaged during your treatment or perhpaps sign of aging. It does happen even in people previosly healthy sometimes.
Whatever the reason your require special anticholesterol diet and drugs to reduce cholesterol. Your physician should set you up and if in confusion see also a cardiologist.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also has crossed my mind later that you could consider Questran for treatment of your high cholesterol. This drug will may do for you both: reduce your cholesterol level and help removing borelia toxin from your body.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for griswoldgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks,, what is questran?? I wrote it down and am going ot look it up--it is one of the things I want to research.

Cathy

quote:
Originally posted by Areneli:
Also has crossed my mind later that you could consider Questran for treatment of your high cholesterol. This drug will may do for you both: reduce your cholesterol level and help removing borelia toxin from your body.

Posts: 192 | From Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

It is an older drug used for treating high cholesterol. It is very well known in medicine. Currently is used less (in general terms) because newer treatments for cholesterol are more comfy.

Yet, this drug has this interesting property of increasing ability to remove toxin from the body. It is also used in snake and spider bites for that reason.
Has been found to be helpful in removing Lyme toxin - it works very well at least for some people.

Questran needs to be taken 2-6 times daily shortly before meals containing some fat; may interfere with other oral medications so has to be taken separately from other oral drugs. It may interfere with assimilation of vitamins A, E and D. So this vitamin shouldn't be taken simultaneously with Questran.
Some people require, particularly in the first few weeks of treatment, some additional treatment for constipation and heartburn. Later the body may adapts to this drug and side effects are not typically a problem. Some people may need small dose of ranitidine and senokot to control side effects.

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cholesterol is fat + protein (chains of amino acids). One kind of protein joins with a fat to make the "good" cholesterol, another fat joins with a protein to make the "bad". Good fats, bad fats...the fatty acids.

Mg is needed to make proteins...all of them.

Brainstorming:

If Mg is deficient (which it most definitely is in Lyme disease), does this damage the proteins? Do we spill the bad/damaged protiens in our urine?

In truth, a cholesterol level BELOW 150 is a major problem too. The ranges on blood tests are far too wide for "normal/healthy".

Some websites to check out:
http://www.mercola.com/1999/archive/low_cholesterol.htm

(to verify getting cholesterol too low = problems too) and
http://www.naturalhealthwev.com/articles/kanderson2.html (which talks about Mg decreasing harmful and increasing good levels

It is a really good indicator of our general health. Ideally, it should be near 180.

Here are some supplements to consider: Mag SR (slow release - Dr. B recommends this), but I personally would take 2 tablets 3x/day to reach the RDA - at a minimum. (2) 64mg tablets contain 32% of the RDA for Mg. So taking them 3x/day would get you close to the RDA for the day. Next, lethecin.

Finally GOOD probiotics before every meal (about 1 hour with a full glass of water). Primal Defense is one good one. Sorry, other than lethecin, the others are $. Mag SR has to come from a pharmacy, but no Rx is needed. Find a pharmacy that doesn't double the actual price of it.

The "friendly bacteria" help us to ABSORB Mg. And they need it too!

Since we do absorb things thru our skin, epsom salt baths may help. A nice 20 min. soak every day.

Sleep is very, very healing! But so is a nice 20 minute walk per day in the sunshine.

Yes, if you can handle it (would be really hard for me!) returning to a vegetarian diet may indeed help. It is more "balanced" electromagnetically speaking...minerals (+) and many vits (-) which make hydrogen. However, you do know, you MUST watch B12, right?

Congrats on stopping smoking. A DEFINITE positive change to restore your health.

It will take time, but IS possible!

Research the enzymes and how Mg-Ca impacts them. Your liver is trying to help now that it has been given a chance. The liver stores Mg (and other things). Mg activates over 350 enzymes. The way I look at it...your body is using its own "detox" organ to help you fight the infection.

Listen to your body. Watch carefully and figure out why it is responding the way it is. Look at my "Updated Nutshell" post and see the BENEFITS of TNF alpha (inflammation). Yes, too much = ouch and may do damage, but inflammation is, and always has been, part of the healing process. Two good old BUFFERIN may help. Reason why...look at what it contains.

Wishing you a safe journey back to health.

P.S.

Sorry...but here comes 3 pages re: Questran. Before you decide, know the facts.

Cholestyramine. Cholestyramine (Questran, Questran Light) is a drug normally used to reduce cholesterol levels; it also binds with oxalate in the intestine and so reduces elevated levels in urine (hyperoxaluria). The drug is usually taken in powder form, dissolved in water, milk, or fruit juice; it is also available as a chewable bar (Cholybar). Bloating and constipation are common side effects of this drug, so many people cannot tolerate it. The drug also interferes with other medications, including digoxin (Lanoxin) and warfarin (Coumadin), and may contribute to calcium loss and osteoporosis. In order to prevent such interactions, other drugs should be taken one hour before or four to six hours after taking cholestyramine. If the drug is taken for a long period of time, deficiencies of vitamins A, D, E, and K can result, and vitamin supplements may be necessary.
www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/ what_drugs_available_treatment_prevention_of_kidney_stones_000081_9.htm

Questran may interfere with the status of vitamins A, B12, F, E, K and with folic acid and calcium.
www.nutritioncare.com.au/2_ProdPrac/ 1_NC/1_Appendices/AppH_prod.html

Contraindications Documented hypersensitivity; complete biliary obstruction; hyperlipidemia types III, IV, or V
Interactions Inhibits absorption of numerous drugs, including warfarin, thyroid hormone, amiodarone, NSAIDs, methotrexate, digitalis glycosides, glipizide, phenytoin, phenobarbital, imipramine, niacin, methyldopa, tetracyclines, clofibrate, hydrocortisone, penicillin G, cephalexin, and metronidazole; thiazide diuretics; valproic acid; troglitazone; coadministration with pravastatin increases effects.

chronic use may lead to insufficiency of fat-soluble vitamins and contribute to bleeding. www.emedicine.com/med/topic225.htm

The late Karl Folkers, a pioneer in CoQ10 research, observed that drugs inhibiting HMG-CoA reductase activity cause a simultaneous decrease in CoQ10 levels (Folkers et al. 1990). The reason for this is that the HMG-CoA enzyme also plays a role in CoQ10 synthesis. Individuals using either statin drugs or tocotrienols may wish to increase their intake of CoQ10; a decrease in CoQ10 could negate any benefit garnered from a hypocholesterolemic drug. http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-049s.shtml

11. The statin class of cholesterol-lowering drugs(Lipitor, Zocor,etc.) interrupt the body's natural production of CoQ10 reducing blood and cellular levels(11). CoQ10 is a necessary enzyme for heart function and other body processes. Cholestyramin(Questran,Prevalite) causes various gastrointestinal problems including constipation, bloating, inhibition of fat soluble vitamins which can lead to night blindness, bruising, increased triglyerides, osteoporosis. http://www.talkinternational.com/science/adverse_effects_of_prescription_drugs.htm

In 1987, Merck made headlines when it came out with Mevacor (lovastatin), the first cholesterol-lowering statin drug. Statins block enzyme pathways involved in the production of cholesterol, thereby lowering cholesterol levels. But that's not all these drugs do. The same enzymes that are involved in the production of cholesterol are also required for the production of an essential compound called coenzyme Q10; not surprisingly, lower cholesterol levels in statin users are accompanied by reduced levels of CoQ10.
Coenzyme Q10 -- also called ubiquinone, which means "occurring everywhere" -- plays an important role in the manufacture of ATP, the fuel that runs cellular processes. Though it is present in every cell in your body, it is especially concentrated in the very active cells of your heart. Depriving the heart of CoQ10 is like removing a spark plug from your engine -- it just won't work. Low levels of CoQ10 are implicated in virtually all cardiovascular diseases, including angina, hypertension, cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/articles/p72.htm

REPLY from MDA: Robert E. McMichael, M.D., MDA Clinic Director, Arlington, TX
Modern drugs used to lower cholesterol, all (or at least most) seem to have some risk of an adverse effect on muscles. In its most extreme form this can result in enough muscle breakdown to cause a pronounced elevation of the CK level (muscle enzyme measured in the blood), weakness, and pain. I have never seen anyone have a severe reaction, but I have seen patients who have had aches and felt a bit weak. The usual solution is to stop the drug and try to use more effective dietary measures. Even drugs like Questran and niacin, which are not "statins," seem to have some risk of similar side effects. http://www.mdausa.org/experts/viewall.cfm?id=80

[This message has been edited by Marnie (edited 24 January 2005).]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Pharmaceutical drugs have to list all, even extremely rare or doubtful adverse reactions on the labels due to the liability issue. It is also true that there is always risk of using a drug. On the other hand there is a huge risk of not using the drug.

Natural components are known to reduce cholesterol levels slightly but it is extremely difficult to meaningfully reduce with them cholesterol level.

Garlic is an example of a natural product known to reduce cholesterol. Not too many people know, however, that after eating several heads of garlic per day your cholesterol level may drop maximum by merely 1%. It is not going to do the trick. There are natural ways of reducing effectively blood cholesterol but they require multiple suplements that is both very messy and expensive.

Questran doesn't get absorbed from the intestines to the blood and beside bloating, constipation or heartburn no serious damage can be done by its usage.
In the worse case scenario you will stop taking it and the adverse event will disapear.

Short breaks in its usage may be used to supplement the body in missing elements.

[This message has been edited by Areneli (edited 24 January 2005).]

griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for griswoldgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a nightmare for someone with IBS---------yikes. When I go back to the doctor on the 1st they mentioned they would put me on something--my concern is every drug I have looked up warns against elevated liver enzymes which I am dealing with also.
I go to Dr J's clinic in Huntersville. I go in and out of trusting them--I feel like I am the guinea pig on the new frontier--but I guess we all are with chronic lyme. Dr. J is good , but I see his PA's when I go and two are great--the others I try and avoid and make appointments with the ones I like. Unfortunately none of them were available for my next appointment so I will have to steal Dr. J for a moment I guess.

Thanks for your input!

I also asked them to run a test for my Mg level--forgot to ask about that result.

Been doing some looking around and it looks like this is not something that is uncommon in this disease. I am hoping to continue to feel better-and exercising again. I have always exercised with my fibromyalgia for 14 years--this laying around from herxing continually for 8 months has killed me and this dx came on the heels of two knee surgeries that took a year in rehab to get back maybe 60% of where I was before surgery and 45 pounds heavier-uggg!!!

cathy

ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should consider getting involved with a alternative medicine doc to explore nutritional issues related to Lyme.

It really does play havoc with your whole body. Magnesium, CoQ10, B vitamins, etc.

Antibiotics are critical, but it is also critical to fight it from the inside out. Boost your immune system and detox.

An ION panel will help you figure out things in your body which are not working efficiently, and help your body get more toward a wellness state.

Then you can replenish exactly what is missing, so your body can fight harder and better.

Only drawback is that it costs $$$ to explore some of these things.

Lyme made my cholesterol go up as well.

Also, watch things like SSRIs and other psychotrophic drugs. Some of these can cause the liver to be sluggish as well.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmardis
Member # 6643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmardis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should call your local health department. They typically have a nutritionist to consult on what is good for you to eat and what to avoid. Best of all, the health department fees are typically very low to nothing. Having them do the follow up testing could also save you money.

Secondly, you have to avoid caffeine. It will increase your cholesterol level.

[This message has been edited by jmardis (edited 03 February 2005).]

Posts: 59 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Grizzly..

I dunno..

My advise would be to learn more about the exact levels you are high in (I'm confused..is HDL high? If it is, I am appending an interesting article on that..)

I would also want to know history, if this has been run before and when and what was going on then..

I'd also try and find out (through your own research of an ND, or naturopath, ect)..
whether all the big changes you have had recently (you've had them with going off IV and quitting smoking and maybe other things..)

What I mean to say is take a closer look at what this all means before considering drastic diet change, and definately before considering any drug regimen.

Anither draw in a couple of weeks may rell you more as well..

Anyway..here is a very informative site with links and whatnot:
http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/raise-hdl-cholesterol

..and from it I snipped just one bit about HDL colesterol (*below), and how they are finding that high HDL in particular is a good thing for coronary health..
but there some more info on this site.

I'm not saying this is true for you, I don't even know much about this, or your situation, just trying to help by linking some info.

Hope it helps..

Meantime a good healthy diet and minerals, ect can't hurt!

Here, too, is some info on diet..

"GOOD" fats are actually very healthy for cholesterol, such as Coconit oils and other healthy fats.

You don't want the trans-fatty acids or hydrodgenated oils, white flour or sugar.

I feel this is a great way to eat for Lyme, healthy lipids, immune system, weight, everything:
http://paleodiet.com/

..this is very good IMO. Sounds counterintuative, but it is actually eating good lipids that brings balance in cholesterol, and also strengthens and fuels out immune systems.

Paleolithic Diet, much healthier than Atkins..
But very free of the bad sugars, glutens, ect..but not all carbs..
Also called "Hunter gatherer diet"..
..or Ancestral Diet..

"Eat what your Grandfather ate and only 50 miles from where he lived"

It really just cuts it to wholesome eating, and cuts out all industrialized foods.

Not hard to do, really.

OK..

Hope something here has helped!!

Mo

***snipped article on HDL******

Raise HDL (Good) Cholesterol

Raising HDL or "good" cholesterol was not a priority until a few years
ago. Most studies have focused on how lowering LDL or "bad" cholesterol
that can reduce the risk or coronary heart disease. But in the past few
years, researchers have identified that HDL acted as an independent
factor and was also critical in the overall health of your heart. The
National Cholesterol Education Program's new guidelines now recognize
that low HDL levels as a strong independent risk factor for coronary
artery disease.

From the research we know that HDL is a complex molecule made up of
lipids, cholesterol, and protein. The way it works is that HDL acts as
much like a bottom feeder of a fish tank. It cleans off the walls of
blood vessels, thus removing excess cholesterol, LDL. The HDL then
carries this cholesterol to the liver where it is processed.

Doctors still focus strongly on lowering LDL but are now including
recommendations that raising HDL is another important factor to reduce
risk of heart disease.

If you have had your cholesterol levels checked and your HDL is less
than 40, you should discuss with your doctor ways in which to increase
the HDL level. Again, HDL level above 60 is ideal.

There are specific steps you can take that will ultimately help increase
HDL level. Here are some of the proven strategies:

Herbal and Natural Supplements

In one double-blind trial comparing Guggul, the gum resin from the mukul
myrrh tree, to the drug clofibrate, the average fall in serum
cholesterol was slightly greater in the guggul group; moreover, HDL
cholesterol rose in 60% of people responding to guggul, while clofibrate
did not elevate HDL.[7]
Policosanol

A larger patient group of 437 patients in a double-blind,
placebo-controlled study received either Policosanol or a placebo once a
day for twelve weeks. The patients who had been given Policosanol showed
a 25% reduction in LDL cholesterol, a 17% reduction in total
cholesterol, and a 28% increase in HDL cholesterol.[5]

Niacin - No-Flush Niacin

According to the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP), Niacin
or vitamin B3 is the treatment of choice for normalizing the blood lipid
levels. Several double-blind placebo-controlled studies have found that
niacin increased HDL (good cholesterol) by 30% or more while reducing
total cholesterol by 10-25% and triglycerides by as much as 50%.[1] ,[2]
,[3] ,[4] ,[5] A common side effect of niacin is flushing which is the
result of blood vessels opening wide. However, another form of Niacin
called Inositol Hexanicotinate (IH) or ``No-Flush Niacin'' is proven as an
effective and safer alternative to niacin.[6] In one study, Welsh and
Eade reported that inositol hexanicotinate was more effective than
niacin in regulating cholesterol levels.[7]
To learn more about Niacin, click here.

Curcumin

Ten human volunteers were given 500 mg of curcumin for seven days during
a controlled trial at Amala Cancer Research Centre in India. After seven
days, they noted a 29% increase in good cholesterol (HDL) and a
reduction of 11.6% total cholesterol. Lipid peroxidation was also
reduced by 33%.[1]

Another study published in Atherosclerosis in Dec. 1999 by the Faculty
of Pharmacy at the University of Granada reported that curcumin was
effective in inhibiting LDL oxidation and lowering LDL cholesterol as
well as triglycerides.[2] According to the latest research, curcumin
reduces cholesterol by interfering with intestinal cholesterol uptake,
increasing the conversion of cholesterol into bile acids, and increasing
the excretion of bile acids (International Journal of Vitamin
Nutritional Research, 1991, 61:364-69). Another 2000 study shows that "a
daily oral administration of the curcumin extract significantly
decreases LDL and apo B (a leading heart disease risk factors) and
increases the HDL and apo A of healthy subjects."[3]

Chromium (as Picolinate)

In a 2000 randomized controlled trial at King Abdulaziz University, 44
adults were given 200mg of chromium or a placebo was given in a double
blind cross over study during 8 weeks resulted in decreasing
triglycerides while increasing the mean high-density lipoprotein (HDL)
significantly.[1]

Another study conducted at Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Israel,
published in Metabolism in July 1992 reported that 76 patients who had
heart disease were treated with 250 mcg of chromium increased their HDL
level greatly.[2]

In a 1991 study, 63 men at University of North Carolina suffering from
hypertension and taking beta-blockers were studied. (Beta blockers are
known to lower HDL and raise LDL cholesterol levels.) Chromium
supplements increased HDL cholesterol levels by an average of nearly 6
points, a 16 percent increase. No side effects were observed. According
to Harvey Simon, MD of Harvard Medical School, a 6-point increase in
HDL, which was achieved in the chromium trial, should reduce the risk of
heart attack by about 20 percent.[3]

Calcium Citrate

A randomized controlled trial was published in American Journal of
Medicine in April 1, 2002, calcium citrate was shown to increase HDL
levels. This study was led by Ian R. Reid, professor, Department of
Medicine, University of Auckland in New Zealand. According Dr. Reid, the
study showed that 1 gram of calcium (as the citrate) taken daily lowers
the damaging component of blood cholesterol and increases the protective
cholesterol (HDL). The mean HDL concentration increased by 7%, LDL
cholesterol declined by 6% resulting in an improved HDL/LDL ratio of
17%.[1]

Lifestyle Changes

*Exercise:* Although not everyone can run, burning between 1,200 and
1,500 calories each week doing aerobic exercise can have dramatic
results. Not only is exercising a wonderful way to keep your heart
healthy, it also helps lose weight, which is an additional benefit. By
losing 10 pounds of excess weight, according to Kokkinos, /"That's where
you see significant increases in your HDL cholesterol."/

*Avoid Trans Fatty Acids:* Avoid trans fatty acid containing foods such
as French fries, cookies, cakes and many of the fried fast foods.

*Minimize Carbohydrates*: Minimize carbohydrates by avoiding sugar,
flour, potatoes and white rice. Studies prove that HDL level drops
dramatically when blood sugar is spiked by carbohydrates.

*Avoid Cholesterol Foods:* Minimize the food sources of cholesterol such
as egg yolk, liver, kidney, brains, etc.

*Stop Smoking:* According to a study at Vanderbilt, within just one week
of quitting smoking, HDL levels raised by seven points.

HDL or Good Cholesterol Foods

*Red Wine:* Drinking red wine is yet another option as long as it is
consumed within reason. /"There are antioxidants contained in red wines
such as cabernet sauvignon, Merlot, and pinot noir, that help slow down
the oxidation of HDL and LDL cholesterol"/, according to Vincent Rifici
of the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. What was shown is not that
the HDL was higher than those not drinking, but that the HDL contained
higher levels of several types of blood fats, thus giving the positive
result. There is still a lot more research required but this could prove
to be a wonderful option.

*Orange Juice:* There was one specific study conducted at the University
of Western Ontario in Canada where 25 students drank orange juice every
day for four week. The results were amazing. HDL was raised an
astounding 21%. The individual leading this study, Elzbieta Kurowska,
stated this increase might have been caused by the flavonoid in the
orange juice.

*Beans:* Kidney and red beans are a wonderful choice for raising HDL.
These foods are low-glycemic carbohydrates that during digestion do not
cause insulin spikes. Studies conducted where people ate foods rich in
low-glycemic carbohydrate measure with the highest level of HDL.

*Fish:* Fish eaten several times a week can also be beneficial in
raising HDL since it contains omega-3 fatty acids. This fish would
include sardines, salmon, sea bass, herring, etc. If you do not like to
eat fish, fish oil
can be
used as a supplement although the benefit takes much longer.

*Olive Oil*: Use oils higher in mono-unsaturated fats, such as olive oil
or canola oil. Including 1-2 teaspoons of olive or canola oil with each
meal would be sufficient.

*Oat bran:* Lowers cholesterol and LDL and raises HDL. In one study, two
ounces of oat bran per day was associated with a 16% lowering of LDL
and, after 3 months, an increase in HDL of as much as 15% (_JAMA_. 1991.
285. 1833-1839).

*Onions:* Some research suggests that half of raw onion/day may raise
HDL as much as 30%.

*Soy Products:* A 1995 meta-analysis of 38 studies of soy confirmed that
it lowers total cholesterol, LDL ("bad") cholesterol, and triglycerides,
and raises HDL ("good") cholesterol.

*Soluble Fiber:* Add more soluble fiber to diet. Soluble fiber is found
in fruits such as apples, grapes, and citrus fruits. The fiber in these
foods helps lower total cholesterol and often raises HDL levels. You
need to consume at least 30 grams of fiber per day.

Drug Therapy

If you have tried some of the above recommendations and have not been
successful in raising your HDL level, ask your doctor what HDL-boosting
drugs might work best for you. Although some are prescription and can
cause side effects, there are other natural approaches like Niacin,
which has been shown one of the best methods of raising HDL cholesterol.

When none of the above measures help raise the HDL, doctors prescribe
the following drugs that seem to help raise the HDL levels:

*Fibrate Drugs:* Gemfibrozil, Fenofibrate and Clofibrate) are approved
drugs in the "fibrate" category prescribed to increase serum HDL
cholesterol. Patients can typically expect to increase the HDL level by
10-30%.

*Combination of Fibrate and Niacin:* Some patients are prescribed a
combination of fibrate and/or niacin with bile acid binding resins to
raise the HDL cholesterol levels.

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 24 January 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Grizz,

Larger pic. needed before 'delving' into any treatment, inclu. no Tx. I freaked out too, with all these 'abnormalities' caused by Bb and abx.

Lyme affects all systems,inclu. the thyroid.

As I presume you know, the thyroid is but one part of the endocrine syst.; if one part is off, it will variably affect other parts of the endocr. syst.with which it coordinates its own activities, and those of the other parts of the endocr. syst.

If the thyroid function is 'off', it will be reflected in an abnormal lipid panel, inclu. cholesterol,and its various forms.

Lab values take a variably short/long time to work back toward normal and to normal.

Meds. affect many, if not all systems, some more than others; thusly and hence these lab values. Your liver is stress by Bb, abx, and whatever other meds. you've taken, are taking and will take.

Cholestyramine(questran, and if any other brands) is NOT as 'harmless' as some would suggest. One can drive cholesterol so low with this that one can induce a stroke.

Very high hepatic enzymes seem typical of lyme, at some points in the infection; see http://www.lymeinfo.org or .net for journal abstract stating this.

Moreover,at least one of the high-level liver enyzymes, to whatever extent, is likely not coming from the liver,but instead, the heart.

Consult your doc. about liver protective dietary supps. that are compatible with your other meds.

There are many things other than statins that will lower cholesterol. Statins will affect neural and hormonal systems, as well.

With statins, Co-enzyme Q10 is a sin quo non.
Before considering statins, or cholestyramine, do some serious homework.

I would consider a thyroid panel.

Consider some kinds of anti-inflammatories, with your doc.

Just remember, TBDs,the meds. you've taken, are currently taking, and will take, and the inflammatory aftermath of abx kill-off, etc. will throw-off just about ALL lab values; because of these factors; you'd have to be med.-free for some time(months) to get the most accurate assessment of systems' functions.

dq

[This message has been edited by DiffyQue (edited 24 January 2005).]

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

If an urge to smoke again, then consider
'Sulfonil', a ,sulfur-containing compoundas an alternative to nicotine delivery systems.

dq

[This message has been edited by DiffyQue (edited 24 January 2005).]

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Magnesium will 'straighten-out' a lot of this 'shale.'
Certain minerals are incompatible w/ certain medicines, and this really needs to be checked into.

Low dose, but frequently taken over course of the day.

A small pinch, even of that Epsom's Salt in that kitchen cabinet will go a long way.

No, a pinch won't send you somewhere I'll not mention.

Magnesium Thiosulfate:

Arterial plaque is considered an anabolic Build-up/constructive process.

Magnesium Thiosulfate is a catabolic agent.

One doctor successfully treated atherosclerosis with Mag.Thio.Sulfate.

I don't know what the dose was.

twoangie
Member # 1636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twoangie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: Minerva Med. 1990 Jun;81(6):475-9. Related Articles, Links

[Evaluation of the cholesterol-lowering effectiveness of pantethine in women in perimenopausal age]

[Article in Italian]

Binaghi P, Cellina G, Lo Cicero G, Bruschi F, Porcaro E, Penotti M.

Servizio di Cardiologia, Istitut Clinici di Perfezionamento, Milano.

Cardiovascular diseases are the main cause of death also in women. Their incidence, rapidly growing in the peri-menopausal period, is related to serum levels of total cholesterol and its LDL fraction. It was also shown that the peroxidation of LDL is an additional factor in the genesis of atherosclerotic vascular disease. As long-term treatments with synthetic lipid-lowering drugs may cause undesirable side effects, while pantethine is known to be well tolerated, we treated 24 hypercholesterolemic women (total serum cholesterol greater than or equal to 240 mg/dl), in perimenopausal age (range: 45-55 years, mean +/- SD = 51.6 +/- 2.4) with 900 mg/day of pantethine. This is a precursor of coenzyme A, with an antiperoxidation effect in vivo, and our aim was to confirm its lipid lowering activity in this particular type of patients. After 16 weeks of treatment, significant reductions of total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol and LDL-C/HDL-C ratio could be observed. No remarkable changes of the main laboratory parameters (fasting blood sugar, B.U.N., creatinine, uric acid) were seen. Efficacy percentages of the treatment were about 80%. None of the patients complained of adverse reactions due to the treatment with pantethine. In conclusion, we suggest that pantethine should be considered in the long-term treatment of lipid derangements occurring in the perimenopausal age.

PMID: 2359503 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 1993 | From Charlotte, NC, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twoangie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grapes May Cut Cholesterol and Blood Fats
Grape Compound Shows Action Similar to Prescription Drug, Says USDA
http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/93/102304.htm?printing=true

By Miranda Hitti

Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
on Friday, August 27, 2004
WebMD Medical News

Aug. 27, 2004 -- Looking to lower your cholesterol and blood fats? Help may be as close as a bunch of grapes.
Grapes contain a compound called pterostilbene that may reduce cholesterol and triglycerides - a type of blood fat -- just as well as a prescription drug.
That finding was reported this week at the 228th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society by Agnes Rimando, PhD, of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Products Utilization Research Center in Oxford, Miss.
Rimando measured how strongly pterostilbene affected an enzyme involved in regulating blood fat levels. In tests on rat liver cells, the researchers found that the grape compound's effect on the enzyme was equal to that of ciprofibrate, a drug used outside the U.S. to lower triglycerides and cholesterol. This drug is in the same class as drugs that are available in the U.S., including Lopid and Tricor.
In addition, pterostilbene outperformed resveratrol, a similar grape compound that's also shown promise in cutting cholesterol and blood fats.
Both grape compounds have also shown cancer-fighting properties in laboratory studies.
Grapes don't have the market cornered on pterostilbene. Blueberries also have it, giving them fat- and cholesterol-fighting properties, Rimando reported earlier this week.
How many grapes do you have to eat to reap the benefits? No one knows yet.
But you can bet that researchers will head back to the grapevine for further studies.
SOURCES: American Chemical Society 228th National Meeting, Philadelphia, Aug. 22-26, 2004. News release, Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. WebMD Medical News: "Blueberries May Lower Blood Fat/Cholesterol."

Posts: 1993 | From Charlotte, NC, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

1: Phytomedicine. 2001 May;8(3):213-9

Evaluation of hepatoprotective activity of legumes.

Wu SJ, Wang JS, Lin CC, Chang CH.

Department of Health and Nutrition, Chia-Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC.

Mung bean, adzuki bean, black bean and rice bean are foods and folk medicines of Taiwan. We evaluated the effects of various water extract concentrations (100, 500 and 1000 mg/kg body wt.) and silymarin (25 mg/kg body wt. on acetaminophen-induced liver injury by measuring serum glutamate-oxalate-transaminase (sGOT) and serum glutamate-pyruvate-transaminase (sGPT) activities in rats. The results showed that the sGOT and the sGPT activities, increased by APAP, were decreased significantly (P < 0.05) through treatment with inceasing amounts up to 1000 mg/kg body wt. of the exracts. In particular, the mung bean aqueous extract showed the best hepatoprotective effect on APAP-induced hepatotoxicity. The pathological changes of liver injury caused by APAP improved by the treatment with all of the legume extracts, which were compared to silymarin as a standardized drug. In addition to these results, the extract of mung bean acted as a potential hepatoprotective agent in dietary supply.

PMID: 11417915 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

twoangie
Member # 1636

1: Physiol Res. 2003;52(4):461-6

Hepatoprotective effect of rooibos tea (Aspalathus linearis) on CCl4-induced liver damage in rats.

Ulicna O, Greksak M, Vancova O, Zlatos L, Galbavy S, Bozek P, Nakano M.

Institute of Animal Biochemistry and Genetics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Moyzesova Str. 61, 900 28 Ivanka pri Dunaji. Slovak Republic. [email protected]

Hepatoprotective properties of rooibos tea (Aspalathus linearis) were investigated in a rat model of liver injury induced by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)). Rooibos tea, like N-acetyl-L-cysteine which was used for the comparison, showed histological regression of steatosis and cirrhosis in the liver tissue with a significant inhibition of the increase of liver tissue concentrations of malondialdehyde, triacylglycerols and cholesterol. Simultaneously, rooibos tea significantly suppressed mainly the increase in plasma activities of aminotransferases (ALT, AST), alkaline phosphatase and billirubin concentrations, which are considered as markers of liver functional state. The antifibrotic effect in the experimental model of hepatic cirrhosis of rats suggests the use of rooibos tea as a plant hepatoprotector in the diet of patients with hepatopathies.

PMID: 12899659 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

twoangie
Member # 1636

1: Life Sci. 2004 Nov 19;76(1):21-8

Inhibition of lipid peroxidation by botanical extracts of Ocimum sanctum: in vivo and in vitro studies.

Geetha RK, Vasudevan DM.

DVS College of Arts and Science, Shimoga, Pin-577 201, Karnataka, India. [email protected]

Ocimum sanctum, the Indian holy basil, has significant ability to scavenge highly reactive free radicals. Shade dried leaf powder of the plant was extracted with water and alcohol, and then fractionated with different solvents. Both extracts and their fractions have in vitro anti-lipidperoxidative activity at very low concentrations. In vivo, hypercholesterolemia-induced erythrocyte lipid peroxidation activity was inhibited by aqueous extracts of Ocimum in a dose-dependent manner in male albino rabbits. Aqueous extract feeding also provided significant liver and aortic tissue protection from hypercholesterolemia-induced peroxidative damage.

PMID: 15532130 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Areneli
Member # 6740

I also think that checking levels of thyroid hormones is indicated. Their low level is often associated with high cholesterol level.
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The parathyroids control Mg-Ca. They trigger the thyroid. That's from the cobwebs of my mind. Gotta verify.

DQ is very, very smart!

The reason why this gets sooooo complicated is because all the vitamins and minerals work TOGETHER. If one, only one, is thrown off (too little or too much) it impacts the others and this IMBALANCE causes major body systems to malfunction.

Our cells need a CONSTANT supply of nutrients "bathing" them.

The root cause of disease (and aging) is cellular damage. It is caused by nutrient deficiencies AND toxins.

When a pathogen speeds up this process, by depleting the nutrients and releasing toxins, we are in big trouble very fast.

P.S. Just wanted to make sure I was posting accurate info. A quick search explains some of it:

Parathyroids and Thyroid

The sole purpose of the parathyroid glands is to control calcium within the blood in a very tight range between 8.5 and 10.2.
http://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-function.htm

Four tiny parathyroid glands are located around the thyroid in the throat. 'Para' means 'near', which explains the name. These glands are part of the endocrine system, which consists of a range of glands that secrete hormones into the bloodstream.

The main function of the parathyroid glands is to make the parathyroid hormone (PTH). This chemical regulates the amounts of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium in the bones and blood.

The minerals calcium and phosphorus are crucial for healthy bones. Blood-borne calcium is also needed for the proper functioning of muscle and nerve cells. When calcium levels in the blood are too low, the parathyroid glands release extra PTH, which leeches calcium from the bones and stimulates calcium reabsorption in the kidney.

On the other hand, if the level of calcium in the blood is too high, the glands drop hormone production. Problems can occur if the parathyroids are overactive or underactive.

Hypoparathyroidism
Hypoparathyroidism is characterised by low levels of PTH, which decreases the amount of calcium in the blood. Nerve and muscles cells are unable to function properly. Causes of hypoparathyroidism include magnesium deficiency, injury to the glands, surgery on the nearby thyroid gland, genetic disorder or the congenital lack of parathyroid glands. Symptoms of hypoparathyroidism include:
� Pins and needles
� Brittle hair and nails
� Dry, roughened skin
� Muscle cramps and spasms
� Convulsions.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Thyroid_issues_the_parathyroid_glands?OpenDocument

Here's the thyroid link:

Calcitonin is a polypeptide of 32 amino acids.

The ***thyroid cells in which it is synthesized***

have receptors that bind calcium ions (Ca2+) circulating in the blood. These cells monitor the level of circulating Ca2+. A rise in its level stimulates the cells to release calcitonin.
� bone cells respond by removing Ca2+ from the blood and storing it in the bone
� kidney cells respond by increasing the excretion of Ca2+
Both types of cells have surface receptors for calcitonin.
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/T/Thyroid.html

However, more recent investigations have revealed that a new mechanism of action: hyperparathyroidism is caused by chronically elevated TSH levels (Paloyan et al, 1997). (Fluoride is the TSH clone].

Elevated TSH levels are usually seen in hypothyroidism, and therefore explain why hyperparathyroidism is so closely associated with hypothyroidism (Paloyan et al,1997).

Hyperparathyroidism is ten times more frequent in thyroid patients than expected in a general medical population and is especially prevalent in patients with goiter (Stoffer, 1982).
http://64.177.90.157/pfpc/html/parathyroids.html

Blood supply
Branches of the inferior thyroid artery supply the parathyroids. Great variation exists, supply by the superior thyroid arteries, the thyroid ima artery, the laryngeal arteries, tracheal arteries or oesophageal arteries has been documented.
The glands drain into the plexus of veins on the anterior surface (front) of the thyroid comprising the superior, middle and inferior thyroid veins.

Nerve supply
The parathyroids are supplied by thyroid branches of the cervical sympathetic ganglia with a mainly sensory function, detecting stretch within the glands that gives rise to the sensation of pain in some disorders.
http://www.endocrinesurgeon.co.uk/parathyroids/parathyroid1-2.html

[This message has been edited by Marnie (edited 25 January 2005).]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

Icon 14 posted      Profile for griswoldgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always thought my thyroid function was off--until on abx and herxing for lyme my basil temp in the am is about 95-96, has been for years and years.

My temp when I am up and around is usually 96.5-97 and sometimes it is even lower-------I have never had a normal temp and put weight on very easily.

I have had the gammon of test run b4 dx of lyme and all normal-0-but I insisted there is evidence that even if these are all normal that my body may produce the thyroid hormone but may not uptake all. there are a lot of folks I met on fibro sites that take synthroid at very low doses and it has made all the difference in the world.

I am an ultrasound technologist so I am somewhat familiar with lab values and how they relate to each other and human physiology--what I can remember with this brain fog of mine--hell I have to take my gyn/ob boards in less than 2 months and I am scared-------
my NP mentioned last week that they think that the lyme affects the endrocrin system and I am already one in the bag because of severe endometriosis I have lost my ovaries and am on estrogen.

I take a number of medications --pain medication, antidepressants etc-as a matter of fact my liver enzymes are up and i just started a new antidepressant--effexor--i am wondering if that is the culprit??-that was my first thought because it is the only thing new since i stopped abx

My cholesterol has not been taken that I know of in about 3 years last read was about 170-180 I have never had a problem with it so I do not insist on following it.

I take probiotics, q10, flax seed oil, b complex , a good multi

I appreciate all of your input it is a bit overwhelming but I will take each article and read it, I need paper---i want to print a couple out and take with me to doc apt --

I would LOVE to go the natural route--checked into some practitioners in my area--big $$$$$ problems here at the home front without me working we lost over 60,000 in income a year, no ssi yet--so not get me started there---I can barely afford the suppliments to begin with that I am on, I have sacrificed my skin regimens for my face to buy them. WE are in bigtime financial ruins--my lyme diagnosis came on the tail of being out of work a year with three knee surgeries--only was back to work p/t for 6 months when I about fell on my butt and was ordered to quit by my GP!

Supposively CMC medical center that my hubby works for has a homeopathic center/alternative medicine clinic--he is checking into it for me to see if insurance covers at least the visit and blood work.

I see LLD on the 1st of feb--I will see where they want to go with me first, then if not satisfied take it from there I guess. Meanwhile I am making what changes I can now.

Cathy

griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

I cannot find ANY docs so far that are familiar with the evils of lyme--do you think alternative medicine would be a good idea to get me to a baseline and then worry about the lyme or find someone familiar with lyme treatment and do both at the same time? need clarity on that statement

thnaks

quote:
Originally posted by ConnieMc:
You should consider getting involved with a alternative medicine doc to explore nutritional issues related to Lyme.

It really does play havoc with your whole body. Magnesium, CoQ10, B vitamins, etc.

Antibiotics are critical, but it is also critical to fight it from the inside out. Boost your immune system and detox.

An ION panel will help you figure out things in your body which are not working efficiently, and help your body get more toward a wellness state.

Then you can replenish exactly what is missing, so your body can fight harder and better.

Only drawback is that it costs $$$ to explore some of these things.

Lyme made my cholesterol go up as well.

Also, watch things like SSRIs and other psychotrophic drugs. Some of these can cause the liver to be sluggish as well.

ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cathy....

I am seeing a doc in Raleigh area who does all this, but it is the $$$ issue which may get in your way. He is Lyme-literate, and has a good understanding of the effects Lyme can have on the body.

I will send you his website, and perhaps you can at least make a contact. Depending on your insurance, some of the initial testing, etc. is covered. You could contact them to ask questions relevant to your insurance and perhaps that would give you a better idea on what this involves.

Will email you....

Connie

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

yup $$$$$$$$$$ is a huge issue!!

I feel like my body is so damaged. I hurt from head to toe, I bloat a lot and then think oh no-yeast!!!!MY brain is fried-operating on one cell here 2nite.

again thank you for all the links and info-I believe that all of mt endocrin system is out of whack!

It would be okay if I got bit a couple of years ago and this was all new--but it is not. I am getting what I call "the look" from the PA's and DR. J because they are puzzled as to why I have not made more progress.=--I read people well and the last visit the one PA I trust the most was wanting to give me meds to wake me up-she called them a "band-aide" because I was sleeping too much. I have had 20 years of band aides, medications, injections, surgeries, and tests after tests etc.

I found a clinical study at NIH for chronic lyme patients, post abx with persistant cognative problems. They are sending me an application. I figured-hey I will get put up in the hospital for 3 days because I live too far, a gammon of tests and if they find anything pertinent to my case they will forward it to my LLD. Otherwise it is just for the heck of it--I cannot do much about my situation so I decided to let them study my body if it will help in anyway for them to understand the neuropsychological aspect of this disease. My good deed for the day.

Cathy

Marnie
Member # 773

"Allergic responses can reduce the # of neurotransmitters and with this reduction, behavioral changes can be expected."

From the book, Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis, PHD.

Also...

Release of antibodies triggers allergic reactions. Antibodies bind to basophils and bind to mast cells which produce histamine.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement