LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ceftin anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ceftin anyone?
artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to go off of the Augmentin I just started due to very bad lower GI reactions....

I'm starting CEFTIN tomorrow.
Any opinions or reactions to this one?

I figure someone else out there has been on it..... if you're all like me you've been on about a dozen ABX.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should be pleasantly surprised.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacktop
Member # 5146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacktop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stuff tastes terrible, leaves an awful taste in your mouth if you can't get it down fast enough. The good news, though, is that it is good stuff. I noticed significant improvement while on it.

Good luck!

James

Posts: 18 | From Peoria, IL, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mvilas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mvilas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried Ceftin twice. Once when I was pregnant and once recently. I couldn't take it. I have no clue if it was a herx or a rx to the drug, but within hours of taking it, I had a horrible headache and just felt awful all over--this happened each time I took it. When I was pg I took it for a couple weeks and I could not get rid of the headaches. They were awful and intense.

Anyone else experience a reaction like that? Sound like a herx or a rx to the drug?

Hope you have great success with it!

Michelle

Posts: 144 | From Marysville, Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I went on it as a "cost effective and politically correct replacement" for ceftriaxone. I was on for about 11 months (less about 2 months int he middle that I stopped all ABX). Ceftin did work on the lyme symptoms but very slowly. No big reactions AT ALL....BUT in the end I relapsed, most likley because I also had babesia that was not treated.

Ceftin left a dark colored film on my teeth that had to be scrapped off by the dentist. It looks like I was a heavy smoker, even though I never smoke. I thing an agressive tooth brushing campain would have helped the situation.

It was a very mild drug compared to Ceftriaxone or Ketek, which themsleves are easier to take than flagyl or rifampin.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by david1097 (edited 24 January 2005).]

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took ceftin pulseing it two weeks on and two weeks off for more than 6 months. Originally I took Biaxin at the same time, but the symptoms from the biaxin was too much. I dont remember any bad symptoms from it, I think I also had some dark spots on teeth, which came off in dentist cleaning, and dentist said it wwasnt an issue. It wasnt realy noticable to others either.

I wondered at he time if it was doinf anything or not, it's so haard to tell. Maybe it works slowly and gentaly like the other poster said. But, looking back, I am better now than I was before. It seems that my physical body symptoms are much better. Roving joint pains, back of neck pain headaaches were not a problem after this treatment. I also did acupuncture concurently. East and West Dr's would both say there is the one that did it.

Anyway, I had definite improvment on it and no noticable herxing, tummy problems etc... Yes, it does taste bad

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took ceftin for two years, and found it to be very helpful, but not strong enough to do much more than hold back the Lyme. But then again, I had two co-infections.

I take omnicef, a stronger version of ceftin, and it works well.

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Ceftin in the beginning was on it for quite a while. What I remember was dont DONT have any sugars I got a raging case of thrush in my mouth and my teeth turned grayish green because I drank some regular pop on a trip to new england whoa Mistake had to eat acidophilis by the handfulls and suck on them also it cleared up in a couple of days.

Heres some more info.

Ceftin
Active Ingredients: Cefuroxime
Representative Names: Ceftin
Available Product Images:

What are cefuroxime tablets?
What should my health care professional know before I take cefuroxime?
How should I take this medicine?
What if I miss a dose?
What drug(s) may interact with cefuroxime?
What side effects may I notice from taking cefuroxime?
What should I watch for while taking cefuroxime?
Where can I keep my medicine?

What are cefuroxime tablets? (Back to top)
CEFUROXIME (Ceftin�) is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It treats many kinds of infections including those of the skin, respiratory tract (tonsillitis and bronchitis), sinuses, ear, and urinary tract. Cefuroxime also treats some sexually transmitted disease. Generic cefuroxime tablets are available.

What should my health care professional know before I take cefuroxime? (Back to top)
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
*bleeding problems
*kidney disease
*stomach or intestinal problems (especially colitis)
*other chronic illness
*an unusual or allergic reaction to cefuroxime, other cephalosporin antibiotics, penicillin, penicillamine, other foods, dyes or preservatives
*pregnant or trying to get pregnant
*breast-feeding

How should I take this medicine? (Back to top)
Take cefuroxime tablets by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Cefuroxime works best if you take it with food. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Finish the full course prescribed by your prescriber or health care professional even if you think your condition is better. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber's advice.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose? (Back to top)
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses. There should be an interval of at least 10 to 12 hours between doses.

What drug(s) may interact with cefuroxime? (Back to top)
*other antibiotics
*probenecid
*water pills

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking cefuroxime? (Back to top)
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
*difficulty breathing, wheezing
*dizziness
*fever or chills, sore throat
*headache
*reduced amount of urine
*redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
*seizures (convulsions)
*severe or watery diarrhea
*skin rash, itching
*swollen joints
*unusual bleeding or bruising
*unusual weakness or tiredness

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
*diarrhea
*gas or heartburn
*nausea, vomiting
*vaginal itching

What should I watch for while taking cefuroxime? (Back to top)
Tell your prescriber or health care professional if your symptoms do not begin to improve in a few days.

If you are diabetic you may get a false-positive result for sugar in your urine. Check with your prescriber or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.

If you get severe or watery diarrhea, do not treat yourself. Call your prescriber or health care professional for advice.

If you are being treated for a sexually transmitted disease, avoid sexual contact until you have finished your treatment. Having sex can infect your sexual partner.

Where can I keep my medicine? (Back to top)
Keep out of the reach of children in a container that small children cannot open.

Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walnut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took ceftin for 2 months over the summer. Didn't have any problems with it. And it did get rid my ehrlichia infection.

Walnut

Posts: 187 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!
Treepatrol, you're either a pharmacist or a veteran Lymie :-) OR an excellent "Googler".
I saw a bunch of info on Ceftin online also but I'm always curious to hear real-life application/side effects.

david and mountainmoma -
i have a tooth fetish........ mine are white, straight, with no cavities - i'm in fear of the brown spots now!!! eeeeek

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by artbyjessie2:
Thanks everyone!
Treepatrol, you're either a pharmacist or a veteran Lymie :-) OR an excellent "Googler".
I saw a bunch of info on Ceftin online also but I'm always curious to hear real-life application/side effects.

Lymie sorry to say

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement