LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Seizures....meds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seizures....meds
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of you have seizures, what are you
taking for medication? Does antibiotic treatment affect the seizures in terms of
helping them?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The treatment for seizures oftentimes is IV magnesium (which is, of course, the BEST as it attacks the true underlying CAUSE).

A good example of this is the TOXEMIA of pregnancy...IV Mg is given. Developing baby needs a lot of mom's Mg and Ca. Down go her levels. If mom's stores are too low...labor, which takes a lot of energy = down goes Mg levels further. Immed. post partum (within 1 hour), she is at tremendous risk for a seizure.

However, depakote... a form of sodium (another metal/mineral) is used to stop migraines and seizures. But it doesn't get to the ROOT of the problem.

What will happen...the seizure will be blocked, but you will still have "after effects"...joint pain, muscle weakness, headache.

Abx. deplete the minerals. Yes, it will impact them...negatively.

More importantly...abx. destroy the "friendly bacteria" which are needed to absorb nutrients from foods and supplments and the "friendly bacteria" serve us in many other ways too.

Double edge sword.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am worried about the seizure activity which
has been documented by two abnormal EEGS. I
have not been on antibiotics for two years
due to drug intolerance problems.

My neurologist wants me to stop driving and
says if the seizure is strong enough it can
kill me. Yeah, makes me a bit scared.

Has suggested trying Trileptal or
Tegretol as he feels that these have the least side effects of the anti-seizure meds.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

[This message has been edited by ArtistDi (edited 02 February 2005).]

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
di, my acupuncturist/herbolist addresses this in acupuncture and herbs for tea..takes care of it all..i don't even need my clonazapam anymore....

call me if you want her address..

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tikbit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tikbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArtistDi:
If any of you have seizures, what are you
taking for medication? Does antibiotic treatment affect the seizures in terms of
helping them?

Thanks in advance.

I was wondering what the symptoms of a lyme seizure are. A friend who also has lyme says I am hwaving them. last night was really bad. My 9 year old had his appendix out this weekend and I think stress and being tired or as they say out of spoons was a contributing factor. Would appreciate your input.

Posts: 115 | From katy,texas,usa | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Mine can be scary for me. They generally happen when I am in a rem sleep cycle or
about to awaken. Suddenly, my heart starts
racing, my head starts pounding and I feel
like lightening goes off in my head. Then
my whole left side goes numb--arm and leg.

I was scared this last time because I had
residual pain in my left arm for a week, so
I was concerned it was a TIA.

At any rate, after one of these episodes
(which I hadn't had in a lonnnng time), I am
tired and disorientated. I find that my word
bank is affected. I can't remember words for
things. For example, I wanted someone in my
family to put something into the microwave,
but all I could think of was "encyclopedia."

This is very disheartening for me, to start
having these again. Also, I have auras before the seizure event--I smell things that
aren't there. Sometimes things smell like an
orange, a spice or gasoline. Precursor to
the episode, kind of premonition.

lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,
I take Dilantin and it works really well (i know this because I went off of it per doc instructions and seizures were horrific). It didn't interfere with IV abx - i have not been on full time abx for a bit due to other issues.

Good luck!

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Keppra and klonopin for myoclonic seizures. This keeps them at bay most of the time and don't interfere with the antibiotics.

I also take magnesium and while it has helped the muscle tics called benign fasciulations it has not helped the seizures at all.

The antibiotics, so far, have not helped the seizures, but I remain optimistic after hearing others talk about not having seizures anymore after antibiotic treatment.

One addded note. I also notice my seizures are worse right around the time of my period.

[This message has been edited by hiker53 (edited 02 February 2005).]

Posts: 8910 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Hiker....yes!...mine happen the week before
my period or during. What type of seizure
were you dxed with? Did you have a recent
MRI?

[This message has been edited by ArtistDi (edited 02 February 2005).]

quic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ArtsiDi,
My seizures sound EXACTLY like yours. I would awaken in the middle of the night with them.

Neurontin has worked like a charm for me.
And yes, I do not take Neurontin regularly
anymore because the abx have dramatically
improved their frequency of occurrence. At my worst, they happened many times a night, every night. I didn't want to go to sleep anymore.

- Mike

Posts: 153 | From Watertown, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poochini
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poochini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Di, A neurologist diagnosed me with epilepsy (seizure disorder)last year, and he believes this was related to Lyme disease. I have 16 brain lesions and some are close to the cortex, which then causes neuronal irritation and thus more electrical firing.

The lesions, if caused by Lyme, likely are the result of spirochetes in the brain creating microscopic tears that became microscopic scars or lesions. Scars do not go away. For that reason, my seizures may not ever go away, but they can be controlled.

Because they are not a one-time deal or a condition caused by something that can be altered in my system, like low blood sugar or high mercury, etc., the seizures are part of a seizure disorder, i.e. epilepsy. I have to take meds for a minimum of 4 years and if I have no seizures at all then I can see about decreasing and going off.

I have simple partial and complex partial seizures. Generalized seizures affect the whole brain and are also known as grand mal, which I don't have. Mine include everything from visions of lightning coming down, beautiful patterns, phantom smells, hallucinations, disorientation (jamai vu), and a sensation that the room is twisting or swinging. Those last only from 20 seconds - two minutes.

I have had some that make me feel suddenly nauseous and I think I am going to vomit. I lose all strength and collapse. Two minutes later, I am over it, but have a headache and am sleepy.

And I also have had episodes that make me feel as if I had just downed three martinis very quickly. In a matter of seconds --and without having had any alcohol --I feel as if I am drunk. My speech is slurred, I see double, I can't walk straught, the room is wobbly. The after-effects last about 45 minutes. And I have to go to sleep afterward.

The complex partials involve loss of awareness. I have no idea what I do during those and depend on others to tell me. I am unaware that anything has happened, though on occasion, I have noticed my house is askew. I am told I look like a zombie, wide awake but completely unreponsive. Sometimes I do repetitive things. I used to call those my memory black holes.

The med I am taking is Lamictal. It is not absorbed by the liver and has almost no drug interactions, so it is fine to take with antibiotics. You have to titrate up slowly, and the most serious sign to look for is a rash (no, not a Lyme rash. If the rash appears, you have to discontinue.

The only side effects I have with this are good. I sleep better at night without waking up constantly, as I did before. I have a much happier mood, almost too happy, and I laugh till I am weak when I hear jokes. I also am moved by music or anything beautiful with an exaggerated response of chills running down my spine and sometimes even tears of elation. Excessive joy is not bad, though it can be disconcerting. I don't have exaggerated bouts of the opposite, e.g., sadness, depression.

The best side effect is that it stopped the pain of my neuropathy in my feet completely. My feet still feel numb, but I don't have pain. That made a huge difference.
I can walk for hours without pain.

Since starting Lamictal, I have had only one seizure. My neurologist said it is important to control the seizures, because they can develop a pattern and start "kindling." About 70% of those with simple and complex partials develop generalized seizures over time.

My neurologist (who is with a major Epilepsy Center) favors Lamictal over Neurontin and others, because he feels it has the least amount of side effects. Neurontin can affect cognition. Lamictal does not.

Because I was diagnosed with complex partials, I had my drivers license yanked. I don't mind that, but when I had to register for a state ID, I had to check a box under why my license revoked. The choices said something like, "illegal drugs, DUI, or epilepsy." It is rather unfortunate that seizures are lumped with bad behavior.

The fact that your seizures occur more often during your period is not uncommon at all among women. Some women have them only then. And among those with seizures, many have them only at night or upon waking. Mine happen mostly then, but I began having more and more at other hours of the day, which led to my seeking advice from a neurologist.

The medicine best for you would also depend on your type of seizures. But if you are going to be prescribed medication, ask about Lamictal.

Good luck with this.

Pooch

Posts: 548 | From Diagnosed 2003 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NancyD
Member # 6806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosised last year by a neurologist as having Muscular siezures. It was like having really severe charlie horses, but they hit anywhere on my body at any time. Stress and fatigue made them worse and more frequent. I was having them sometimes 3-4 a day, lasting from a few minutes to an hour. Needless to say it was effecting my quality of life and made it very difficult to work. The ABX seemed to make things worse. I was put on Lamictal 100mg twice a day and Valium 5mg at bedtime. These keep the siezures pretty well in check. In Dec. I was in the hospital for two days for IV infusions to bring my Magnesium level back up to at least low normal. Yes I take a regular magnesium and calcium supplements.
Posts: 5 | From Corning, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy2
Member # 95

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Nancy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyme ED:
I've heard several Lyme pts say that antibiotics helped with seizures, however the drugs/dosages have to be able to penetrate well into the CNS.

Hi all:
Just thought I would put in my two cents worth here.

I had 4 seizures, about one month apart and all upon wakening in the A.M. They took place when I was not on sufficient ABX.

Once my dose of Amoxy was upped from 3000mg daily to 4500mg daily (I am on 6000mg now!), the seizures stopped completely.

The high dose was sufficient enough to cross the BB barrier, and stop them in their tracks. Haven't had one since.

Nancy

Posts: 1487 | From New England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement