LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chlorella - Its Healing Benefits, etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chlorella - Its Healing Benefits, etc.
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lot of research is being done and these are the highlights. If you need more, you will have to do some digging yourself. I saw the most interesting overheads at a recent seminar - but I do not have a photographic memory. No, Skyking, in case you read this, you called Chlorella a poison a year or so ago. As all of you can see below, it definitely is not. It is used for many purposes and is very effective. We have used chlorella in our house from the first day I was treated back in 1998. We still take it often as maintenance. It is super for children, our granddaughter loves it
(she chews them like a candy) green lips and all.

CHLORELLA (pyrenoidosa or vulgaris)

HEALING BENEFITS:

Chlorella has multiple health inducing effects. Below are just a few of the published effects that have been demonstrated.

Antiviral (especially effective against the cytomegaly virus and herpes)

Toxin binding (mucopolysaccaride membrane) for all known toxic metals, environmental toxins, such as dioxin and others

Repairs and activates the body's detoxification functions

Dramatically increases reduced glutathion

Sporopollein is as effective as choestyramin in binding neurotoxins and more effective in binding toxic metals than any other natural substance

Various chlorella peptides restore coeruloplasmin and metallothionin

Lipids (12.4%) alpha and gamma linoleic acid help to balance the increased intake of fish oil during detoxification programs and are necessary for many functions, including formation of their peroxisomes.

Methylcobalamin is food for the nervous system. It restores damaged neurons and has its own detoxifying effect.

Chlorella Growth Factor - helps the body detoxify itself in a yet not understood and profound way. It appears that over millins of years chlorella has developed specific detoxifying proteins and peptides for every existing toxic metal.

The porphyrins in chlorophyll have their own strong metal-binding effect. Chlorophyll also activates the PPAR-receptor on the nucleus of the cell which is responsible for the transcription of DNA and coding the formation of the peroxisomes (see fish oil), opening of the cell wall (unknown mechanism) which is necessary for all detoxification procedures.

Super nutrient - with a 50-60% amino acid content it is an ideal nutrient for vegetarians. Methylcobalamin - the most easily absorbed and utilized form of B12, B6, minerals, chlorophyll, beta carotene, etc.

Immune system strengthening

Restores Bowel flora

Digestive aid (bulking agent)

Alkalinizing agent (important for patients with malignancies)

RECOMMENDED DOSAGE:

Start the standard adult maintenance dosage for the 6-24 months active detox:
1 gram (approx. 4 tablets) 3-4 times a day

Incorporate a more active detox by increasing the Chlorella dose to 3 grams (approximately 12 tablets) whenever Cilantro is being taken. This must be taken one week intermittently, followed by 2-3 weeks on the above adult maintenance dose (i.e. 1 week on, 2-3 weeks on the standard maintenance program).

Chlorella must be taken 30 minutes before the main meals and at bedtime.

This way chlorella is exactly in that portion of the small intestine where the bile squirts into the gut at the beginning of the meal, carrying with it toxic metals and other toxic waste. These are bound by the chlorella cell wall and carried out via the digestive tract.

When amalgam fillings are removed, the higher dose should be given for 2 days before and 2-5 days after the procedure (the more fillings are removed, the longer the higher dose should be given).

If you take Vitamin C during your detox program, take it as far away from Chlorella as possible. Vitamin C is the only substance known so far that can knock mercury off its tight bind in the chlorella membrane.

SIDE EFFECTS:

Most side effects reflect the toxic effect of the mobilized metals which are shuttled through the organism. This problem is instantly avoided by significantly increasing the chlorella dosage, - not by reducing it. Small chlorella doses mobilize more metals than are bound in the gut; large chlorella doses bind more toxins than are mobilized.

Some people have problems digesting the cell membrane of chlorella. It is hard and sophisticated. The industry has developed several ways by cracking the membrane. However, mechanical destruction of the membrane leads to subsequent oxidative damage to some of the most precious ingredients (such as chlorella's fatti acids).

Biopure uses a patented process by which stiff structural elements of the cell wall are cracked by using sound waves (similar to the process called lithotripsy), keeps the extra cellular chlorella barrier intact, thus protecting all of the cell's organelles.

Chlorella can also be made bio-available by dissolving the cell wall enzymatically. Biopure produces are proprietary mix of sound cracked chlorella with specific enzymes, which kick into action once chlorella has arrived in the alkaline section of the small intestine. This product is availabe as BioPure Enzyme Potentiated Chlorella or EPC.

Another solution for people with digestive problems is Chlorella vulgaris. Chlorella vulgaris has a thinner cell wall and is therefore better tolerated by people with digestive problems.

Some manufacturers have created cell wall free chlorella extracts (NDF or Nanonized Detox Factors; PCA or Peptide Clathrating Agent) which are quite costly, but easily absorbed. NDF is availabe as NDF and NDF Plus. It contains micronized and nanonized chlorella and cilantro as the primary ingredients. It is recommended cycling NDF Plus into the program: 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off.

You can order the different forms of Chlorella from BioPure (800-801-6187).
I am not sure they have the NDF, but ask.
NDF and NDF Plus is made by Healthydetox.org.

Take care.

P.S. If you do cilantro for detox (see my post on Cilantro), you must take an agent such as chlorella to do it right.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JavaBeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JavaBeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi GiGi,
I've appreciated your many posts here...they are always helpful and informative. Lately you caught my attention will your protocol on chlorella and it's benefits. My ND seems to agree, but your info states only the tablet form...I've been given the liquid to add to water. From what you've researched/tried, is the liquid not as helpful?
Thanks also for info on why to do 30 mins before meals. I never was told that...makes sense when you look at the whole picture.

Thanks once more,
JavaBeing

Posts: 208 | From Portland, OR USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GiGi, I'm popping 2 of these big green suckers as we speak. Yum!

Cilantro Salsa, here we come!

[This message has been edited by Foggy (edited 03 February 2005).]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaos
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi, I read from Dr. Mercola's website that serious conditions may need 15 - 20 grams of Chlorella per day.

I just started taking it at 3 grams per day and am doing fine with it. It really gets the bowels moving for me, but gently. I'm glad it restores the flora too. Gigi, thank you for telling me the best time to take it. I wasn't sure. The stuff I have just said to take it between meals.

I've never tested positive for heavy metals, but I have a lot of toxins in me and I hope it will help with that. If anything, I'm sure to gain from its nutritional properties.

-greg

Posts: 373 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Java, the Chlorella Growth Factor (read my above post again) is in liquid form.

If you are using the NDF or NDF Plus (I also mentioned it above), that detoxes via the kidney mainly. So you really have to watch that very carefully. The Biopure and I am pretty sure the Chlorella Growth Factor detoxes via the bowel, etc.

That's why it is recommended to alternate between the two Biopure and NDF Plus. The NDF Plus is the better ones for Lymies than the NDF. You can go to www.healthydetox.org and read about the difference between the two.

But do be careful with the NDF. I really prefer the Biopure tablets, because you get all the other factors with it.

You might read what I posted above a couple of times. There is a lot of very pertinent info in it. I never get all of it the first time around when I read something like that.

Since you detox some metals even when on antibiotics and candida meds, it is wise to always take the chlorella. Many herxes are not really just die-off of Lyme bacteria as dead proteins, but also the release of metals that the cell walls were holding. You do want to catch the stuff with the chlorella before it recirculates again. Its called "reverse metal toxicity".

If you are taking the liquid NDF or NDF Plus, the schedule for taking it is different. Your ND should instruct you on that. You take it so many drops in 10 oz. of distilled water, not regular water, first thing in the morning before you do anything else. You can get the schedule on the Healthydetox.org website. But really that's your doctor's job to tell you when to take it.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

As I have told many times before, Chlorella works on the extracellular space - the joints, the connective tissue, etc. It does not pull it from the intracellular spaces. Cilantro works on that. But Cilantro brings it only out from these areas. Then it has to be caught by the chlorella in the intestinal tract to move it completely out of the body.

Cilantro and all other agents, no matter what they are, DMPS, DMSA, etc. do not take the metals all the way out. They just stir them up, mobilize them, and if the chlorella is at the place at the right time
(see my detailed timing description above), it will pick them up and move them out the rest of the way.

There is more misinformation out there - and you need to really pay attention to this if you want to do it right.

Take care.

2bostons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2bostons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Gigi

I hope you see this post..

Did you ever hear of Kyo-Green from Wakunaga ..

It is a powdered drink mix ..with organic barley and wheat grasses blended with absorbable Chlorella and kelp..

Do you think this is a sufficient route to go?

Any input would be appreciated..thanks

Peace...Cathy

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a very expensive brand and it gave me bad gas.

Magnesium Glycinate gave me bad gas for that reason too

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,

What is the recommended dose for a child? My daughter is 8 and I want her to start on chlorella.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,
I tried sun chlorella and it made me constipated. Had to stop. What do you think?

Thanks,
DawnE

Posts: 158 | From Great Neck, New York | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2bostons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6249

Icon 9 posted      Profile for 2bostons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks lymeherx001..

sorry that you got gas! I haven't had that problem..only with abx..

cathy

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawn, funny, I had the opposite problem from Chlorella, go figure?

Great Neck, eh? Was there before I got sick a few years ago. There's an excelent deli on Middle Neck Rd. Had great pastrami. Nice town to live in.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

up -
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to thank you GiGi for all of your great info...
Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement