LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do you eat deer meat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you eat deer meat?
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if you eat deer meat you might be
able to get some type of antibiotic
effect from it?? It kind of makes sence
that you wood.-- I have not eaten deer
before that I can remember.
A big thick deer buger might be
--Just what the Doctor Orders--
Do you eat Deer meat?
--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi jay,
I don't know...
I don't eat it, but I did taste it once, wasn't too bad, but that was a long time ago.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had deer, elk, bear, alligator, and buffalo...
Come to think of it, I think I have a little moose in the freezer

Last I read, all wild game should be cooked thoroughly to ensure that diseases aren't transferred through the blood.

Buffalo burgers are my favorite

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Melanie Reber (edited 03 February 2005).]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barngirl
Member # 6391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barngirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use to eat it all the time. My husband is a big hunter. That was the only meat we had in the house for over 10 years.

NOW I WILL NOT TOUCH THE STUFF!!!

How do we know if we are not getting lyme from it?

I know everyone says well you cook it good. But venison does not taste good over cooked.
We loved it medium.
Hamburgers, tender loins wrapped with bacon were our favorites.

[This message has been edited by Barngirl (edited 04 February 2005).]

Posts: 62 | From MD | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eating it is not the risk. Think about all that has to be done once you kill one... gutting, it skinning it, cutting and wrapping.

And of course the thing is likely covered with ticks.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't. I don't like the taste of it, or consistency.

Anyway, this brings me to ordinary meat like beef and lamb - surely those are also covered in ticks?

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orion
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3858

Icon 13 posted      Profile for orion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme is not the thing to be scared of when eating deer meat. I spoke to a visiting nurse in Wisconsin, a Lymie, who told me that all the deer in the area are infected with wasting disease (translation: Mad Cow). Why don't we hear about it? Might impact the tourism there!

Posts: 245 | From Tickafornia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried it for the first time about a month ago. My mom loves it. I'll stick with a rare rib-eye.

Groovy, I'm going to Austin for work next week. Any restaurant recommendations (for food other than venison)?

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doxydave
Member # 6366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doxydave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orion:
Lyme is not the thing to be scared of when eating deer meat. I spoke to a visiting nurse in Wisconsin, a Lymie, who told me that all the deer in the area are infected with wasting disease (translation: Mad Cow). Why don't we hear about it? Might impact the tourism there!

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doxydave
Member # 6366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doxydave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops forgot to reply...

Doesn't the lyme bacteria die off at a low temp? I think 40 degrees C and above, so as long as it is cooked you should be OK from lyme.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in a city, and think milk grows in bottles.

However, after this Lyme experience, I plan on skipping the "eat" part of deer/human interaction, and go straight to "unleash packs of starving wolves into the Connecticut countryside." Cuts out the middle man, gets the job done.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, used to eat alot of it, since my family and my husband's family are all deer hunters. Now that we're in MO, hubby doesn't get to hunt and so we don't eat any venison either.

I agree that dressing out the deer is probably the most dangerous part of this!

Packs of wolves in CT is probably a very good idea if the deer aren't being thinned out by hunting. Poor bambi! They are beautiful creatures....

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like most of you missed the
point of the question I asked so I
will try again. Thanx --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the point you were making.

More likely than their meat having antibiotic properties, their immune systems are able to protect them... or else they do get infected but do not show obvious effects from the infection.

Anyone care to do a study?

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC
Member # 6633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea if it helps but I've been eating a bunch of deer meat in the last few months. I still have about 3 deer worth of meat in the freezer.

I harvested them over in your neck of the woods groovy2. Over in Stonewall,TX.

[This message has been edited by DC (edited 04 February 2005).]

Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Aniek ---Good places to eat in austin--
Chuyes on Barton springs Rd- Tex-Mex-cool
--Katzes deli on 6th street open 24x7
try the ruben--Best sandwich Ive ever
had.-- Hole in the Wall-- on the drag -
try the- Reality-Its way good--
-- Huts on 6th street-closes early but
good homie kind of place.
Rent a bicycle from bicycle sport shop
and ride around the hike and bike trail
by Zilker park on saturday and sunday -great for people watching. Check out 6th street
at night (club area) tons of stuff going on.
All of these places are down town.
Have alot of Fun---Jay--

Lonestartick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonestartick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aniek:
Groovy, I'm going to Austin for work next week. Any restaurant recommendations (for food other than venison)?

The County Line is our favorite places to eat whenever we are in the Austin area. They are famous for their ribs. I've honestly never had better ribs anywhere. Z-Tejas is expensive, but you can cut their steaks with a spoon and they make a mean margarita. Kirby Lane is another of my all time favorite Austin eateries. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their original location is in a beautiful, older, historic-looking house. They make great ginger pancakes and gingerbread. Yum.

If your schedule is relaxed, it's always nice to take in a beer and appetizers on the deck over looking Lake Travis at either The Oasis or Carlos n Charlie's.

As far as venison goes, I no longer eat it because of "Mad Deer." The chances of venison being tested for wasting disease seems so remote that I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Posts: 487 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, you guys know how to make a displaced Texan homesick, don't you!? Texas FOOD! Real food. BBQ, Tex-Mex....music...ohhhhh, I'm really sick now!

What's this I hear about the night life moving from 6th Street? Can't remember where I heard alot of it moved to...?

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, lyme doesnt die at low temperatures.

It dies at HIGH temperatures.

I don't eat deer. No thanks.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the restaurant recommendations! Nothing like a Jewish girl flying to Texas to go to a Deli called Katz's...but a Ruben sounds good for when I arrive late Sunday night!

Unfortunately, I'm there for work which means I have no time to relax. But I've got to eat. I'll have to pass on the Margaritas though...Dr's orders.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement