LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » has anyone ever had Lyme & Mono?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: has anyone ever had Lyme & Mono?
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dullchime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering if anyone ever seemed to have Lyme and Mono at the same time-- I definitely have lyme and now three kids I talk to have contracted Mono so I hope I dont get it again. If you did have it how would you really know besides the sore throat?
Posts: 232 | From kennett square, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think I do right now! It just feels worse - awful, for me i actually sleep, which normally I never do. Otherwise its really hard to tell.

Sorry you feel so bad.

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just an FYI here..many with lyme test positive for mono.....

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dullchime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think I have mono right now yet I know a couple of people that do. I was just worried about catching it. Ive had mono in the past and it wasnt very fun. Course I'd rather have mono than Lyme I'll tell you that.
Posts: 232 | From kennett square, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barngirl
Member # 6391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barngirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, When I "crashed" with lyme and ehrlichiosis, I also tested positive with mono and EBV. I was really sick. My lymph glands everywhere in my body were huge.

Everyone I have ever talked to that has had lyme says they have had mono too.

I think there may be some articles published about this somewhere.

Posts: 62 | From MD | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Every lymie has had mono? Isnt that weird? Is that why the disease decided to show itself?
Nukegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nukegirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dullchime,

I tested positive for mono 3 weeks ago and my ELISA for Lyme came back negative. But after hearing all the symptoms associated with Lyme and I wasn't getting any better I decided to pay for the Western blot test myself. I have one more week until I find out if I have Lyme. I am almost positive I do and then reading stories of people who tested False positive for mono who actually end up having Lyme disease. I am almost sure I have Lyme and won't be suprised if it turns up positive. I just want to get treatment so I feel better. The funny thing is that usually people with mono get sore throat and swollen glands...I had none of that but alot of symptoms that would be indicative of Lyme. Something to comtemplate.....

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I've had Lyme since I was around 8 yrs old. I was dxd with mono when I was 17. From that time on, I was never really well. Wasn't doing so great before then, but after "mono" [or was it just a Lyme flare?] nothing was ever right again.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

I had mono in 1998 and it lasted for about six months till I could really say I felt no effects from it.

I think it really lasted that long due to my lifestyle -- staying out till whenever, drinking and smoking like crazy. Best sleep I ever had though.

I could honestly sleep an entire day away. When i first came down with it I slept almost an entire week only getting up to use the bathroom and my mother had to call me out of work the entire week.

The fatigue was just uncontrollable and unrelenting. Lyme disease is definitely different and worse. Of course with Mono all you do is sleep and lyme you have periods of sleep and sleeplessness, but I still got the red ears with both i'll tell ya that.

Im going on 7 months with Lyme and I cant wait to get rid of it yet I'm afraid to stop taking my abx because of a relapse.

I think Im going to start aggressive herbal supplement therapy to just try to knock it out and continue the therapy for a year.

There is a company called Mannatech that specializes in wellness products that should do the trick. They are expensive though. I'm not trying to sell anything, but at this point I'll try almost anything.

yeah that about finishes my book for today..

[This message has been edited by dullchime (edited 07 February 2005).]

ArtnSoul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtnSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I believe I've had Lyme since I was around 8 yrs old. I was dxd with mono when I was 17. From that time on, I was never really well. Wasn't doing so great before then, but after "mono" [or was it just a Lyme flare?] nothing was ever right again.

Lymetoo,
You sound like me - I was probably infected with lyme around 3 years old. I got Mono at age 16, and thought I was going to die, I was so sick. I even developed hepatitis because it attacked my liver.

I hear you when you say you weren't in real great condition before Mono - but after Mono nothing was ever right again.

Posts: 416 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am mono or "active epstein barr" (EBV) central. 95% of the population has epstein barr. You get sick and then your immune system kicks its bottom and sends it away.

The only problem is if your immune system gets real weak the EBV will come out and get you again. Turns out that EBV is a kind of herpes. So it never really leaves--just is waiting for an opportunity to come out. My doctor gives me valtrex--you know the stuff they sell on t.v. for herpes. He also upped my ranitidine--that is an acid reflux medicine--but I take it several times a day. I don't know what that bad boy does--but if I miss one I can sure tell.

Also, I got a CPAP machine and that thing changed my life--I wasn't getting any REM because of the pain I had at night from the lyme.

I hope that helps.

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dullchime, would you edit your post and make shorter paragraphs of 6-8 lines only ... helps our brain fog & comprehension.

Yes, mono is how my lyme started I believe 34 yrs. ago! Never been the same since & now I know why with my late stage lyme dx last year. Betty G.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first became sick 6 years ago, I wasnt tested for Lyme. I was tested for and was positive for EBV. Since that time, whenever they have bothered to check for any of this family of viruses, Im generally positive. EBV, CMV, Herpes I.

I have at least Herpes I almost every month, probably 10 out of 12months. Probably the others make regular apperances also, but I dont get obvious signs like cold sores for them, and its too tiresome to check constatnly. Hoarse voice, sore throaght was pretty constant these past years, but this last 1/2 year, pretty rare. Maybe Im getting somewhat better.

I think that my immune syatem is overloaded. Lyme, these various viruses, candida, all making problems. My strategy has been to take away as many negative loads for my immune systemas I can. And, over the years, before I started ABX last year, I had made progress and was less sick than I was initially.

(I was even finally able to get disability, when your too sick, you cant do the paperwork or handle how to get help even.)

So, I am sure that knowing I need to address Lyme and taking abx will be helpfull, but the viruses, etc.. also must be addressed.

There are many enviraonmental things that puts loads and strain on us, we are sensitive to everything. So, get rid of your exposure to these things needs to be done too.

Some things I did that helped:
-took herbal antivirals, ie St johns wort( cause its free, it grows wild) and others..black walnut etc..

- Have been fighting the long fight of demolding the house, ie, roof leaks fixed, drywall ripped out and replaced(well, in most places replaced...no money to texture paint yet) A functioning bathroom fan

-got my matress off the floor and away from dust mites

- Bought a new organic matress to reduce exposure to outgassing. I do not have particle board etc.. in furnature or in the house

-took out a loan to get a different (used) car that was easier for me to drive. This helped lessen my neck and shoulder pain so much

I think we need to adress all loads to our immune syaatem, bacteria, viral , environmental, diet.

-

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last pcp told me that I had mono in the past. I don't remember having it. I'm shocked to hear about everyone admitting that they too have had it show up on the ebv test. Really interesting.
Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also tested for prior EB infection - LLMD sais that it could have been EB or Mono in the past - I don't rember having either!!!
Posts: 128 | From Brick, NJ, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like others - I am pretty sure I got Lyme when I was a kid.

Around the age of 20 or so (yes, when sewing the wild oats and living like a complete idiot) - I, too, got mono & it stuck around for well over 6 MONTHS.

Priod to my dx with LD back in Nov. 04 - my blood tests showed that the EBV is ACTIVE once again...and I feel it.

I don't know if I can officially call it "mono" now even though it is still the same virus -- all I know is that it will probably never go away...so I'm just hoping one day it will go back to sleep.

It seems so many of these diseases run around together like a pack of wild rabid dogs. Lucky us.

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got really sick with Mononucleosis when I was 17.
Swollen glands in throat, sore throat (I could hardly swallow), and fever of 105.

I was in bed for a week. I became fatigued easily after that, and my stamina was never as good as before.

I began to get migraine headaches when I was 20.
When I was 31, I got a booster shot for German Measles. The next day I woke up with pain in the wrists, which progressed to my knees and ankles.

When I was 34, I had a round rash on my leg, but didn't see a tick. I began having memory problems and 6 months later got pains in my calves when standing for awhile.

I could work in the kitchen for an hour, and then I'd be in bed for one or two hours, and my leg pain and fatigue STILL weren't any better!

I had problems sleeping, and terrible fatigue. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
Continuous headaches, body pain, very irritable, screamed at my children all the time (I really feel bad about that).

Diagnosed with Lyme Disease at age 49, when my children were in high school.
I wanted so badly to be a mom, and I ended up that I was sick the whole time. Sigh....

Dullchime, you said, "If you did have it how would you really know besides the sore throat?"

The doctor who diagnosed my mono started out by giving me antibiotics for "strep throat." He said, "If this doesn't get better, it's probably mono."

If you were so sick like I was, I'm sure your doc would give you the blood test to diagnose mono.
So if you get severe throat infection, swollen glands, fever over 104, headache, body aches, see your doc.

Also, I had couple of boyfriends in the months before I got sick, so I figured that I caught mono from one of them.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with mono when I was 17, but I know that's when I got Lyme. I never recovered and only became sicker.

My spleen almost ruptured, too.

Steph

P.S. Interestingly, I had a PCR for Epstein-Barr Virus, and it was negative.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something in your post ("three kids I talk to have contracted Mono so I hope I dont get it again") seems to imply you've had mono? If that's the case you don't have to worry. If you haven't yet had mono , be very careful. It's not nearly as contagious as flu or colds. Keep your distance and wash your hands, etc., And take vitamins (can't hurt), and get lots of sleep, etc.
I was really really sick with mono when I had it in 1982 or so. But I was sicker with lyme. I hate to think what would happen if I had both simultaneously! In short, I'd take every precaution possible, in your circumstances!
DaveS

[This message has been edited by HaplyCarlessdave (edited 06 February 2005).]

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Dave to answer your question YES I did have mono as I stated in an above post.

I just wondered if there was anyone who had both simultaneously. That has to be a hell of a case coupled with Lyme on the immune system.
And I also agree with others saying after Mono I was never the same. It almost seems I never stopped gaining weight since then. That could be a jaded view but i dont know.

My Mono started with a strep throat and swollen tonsils and EXPLODED glands. Especially the one under the chin. I couldnt even chew or swallow right it was so swollen.
Oh well, lyme is worse.

Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dullchime,

I was diagnosed with:

thyroid disease (hashimotos) still tired,
Given t3, still tired,
tested for Epstein Barr still tired, (doc suspected Lyme and tested) started giving me antibiotics,
Sleep test woke up 233 times from pain,

Lyme test came back positive

When your immune system is so in the trash it is like "a pack of dogs--or coyotes!"

The Duck I had before this doc never tested anything but my thyroid (which was already diagnosed) and gave me speed and antidepressants.

Such is life! I'm glad I've got a good doc now!

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement