LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mind altering parasitic infections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mind altering parasitic infections
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you know that there is a parasitic infection that infects crabs and causes them to behave differently.

The parasite injects itself through the soft tissue at the crabs exoskeleton, develops into some type of worm and wraps itself around the optical nerve going to the brain. Once in place the parasite takes over some of the brain functions and causes the crab to seek shallower water to as to increase the likelyhood of it being caught by a bird, eaten and be reintroduced into the environment to infect more crabs.

I don't remember all the details about this but given all the paranoia stuff going on, I though it would be useful to intoduce a new dimension to the mix.

Can Lyme do the same thing to its hosts?

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea,..,,.,,.,.,,,.,.,.....,.,.,,.,.,.,.,

Lyme makes you crazy and kill lots of people cause your in so much pain and suffering so everyone else runs into the woods to get infected by more bugs!!

sorry for the morbid thoughts.....

nt

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not the parasite or Lyme critters that make some of us crazy. It is the neurotoxins they put out that create the problem, a different problem for everyone, depending on the individual's makeup. From my experience. There are tons of neurotoxins not necessarily from Lyme that have the identical effects on humans.

Take care.

[This message has been edited by GiGi (edited 06 February 2005).]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeinME
Member # 6849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeinME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just crazy........ and overtired, I'm going to bed.

Goodnite fellow lymies

Posts: 55 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,
let's take paranoia to the next level, say we?

If one was to eat that infected crab (the one with the worm in it's brain), then would that crab that we ate infect us? That crabs worm wiggle on up to our brain?

I love worms, nah, really I hate them. Not a squirmy squishy type myself. Read enough about parasitic everything on this site to give me the willies, though.

Especially loved the posts from someone awhile back that detailed out the little white squigglie things that emanated from her skin. Gross me out. Didn't even have to put my finger down my throat on that one.

So---? think it's possible? Then we'd have something else to get all wigged out about. And boy, do I love to eat crab!
Julie

PS--hey Charlie, I didn't get your post under Areneli's paranoia topic-is he or isn't he the weismaster over on sci lyme?

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie...weismeister woodtick ect are no doubt our old royal pain in the butt joel m shmuckler. How'd you know I'd read this thread anyway

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love ya Charlie. You know that .
Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea that a disorder of almost any sort which effects the CNS thus causing a behavioral change is well accepted. It is called an organic mental illness. Syphilis, neuroborreliosis, herpes simplex, brucellosis, brain tumors, various vitamin deficiency syndromes, wilson's disease, adult onset MLD, alzheimers, intoxications, liver disease, hormonal abberations, this just scratches the surface; the list is quite long. This is a very common occurence and should not be regarded as a bizarre idea.
Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 12 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Lyme is not doing the same thing to its hosts as evidenced by the fact that so many of us here are seeking deeper water. Hot (Epsom)salty water.

Accordingly we should all be sex crazed if in fact Lyme is sexually transmitted. From what I've experienced and read here, the Lyme certainly isn't encouraging us to spread Lyme in this way. We're all too tired.

Has anyone been attacked by a bird lately?

h&s

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The parasite that controls your mind http://juad.neurofractal.org/story/2002/11/18/183218/64
CDC http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol9no11/03-0143.htm

Pics
http://medschool.sums.ac.ir/users/parasito/Blood%20and%20tissue%20protozoa/page_05.htm

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 07 February 2005).]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
WOOOooo...
Just to clairify, I did'nt say causes one to loose their mind, I said "controls their mind" . ie like those worm things on the star trek movie, "Wrath of Khan"

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement