LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need help/advice for very sick friend in South

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help/advice for very sick friend in South
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 9 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,
I have a dear friend living in the South who is on her last rope. She has had undiagnosed Lyme for many years and is also sick with parasites. She was dx with delusional parasitosis and basically treated terribly and not believed by her doctors in the South for many years. She is a stong woman but I fear she may die or take her life soon if she does not get proper treatment.
She went to an infections disease clinic/lyme clinic in NC and they dx her finally with Lyme and doc said he thinks she has tick borne disease. He drew blood for Igenex and other tests but he set her next appt date for 6-7 weeks out. He sent her home with no antibiotics or anything. That is too long in my opinion for her to wait because she needs treatment now and her medicade may run out soon, so paying for the treatment may be difficult for her.
Does anyone know how I/We can help her? She is a loving, almost saintly person who's presence on this planet may be lost to this terrible disease. Can anyone out there help me to exhaust all resuources for her? I don't want her to die and wonder if the doctor understands that he is her last hope and that she very well may die soon from this.
Thank you all so much...I know you have helped me so much and are there for desperate cases like my friend's.

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pippy - I am so sorry your friend is so sick and has gotten the brush off for so many years. I moved to the South last year and got sick a month later...I came from New England so at least this helped me be taken a bit more seriously when it came to possible lyme disease and TBI - really crazy in that I met a woman with lyme and all the coinfections I have right down the street...

Anyway, my suggestion is to have your friend call the clinic back and ask them if they would be willing to try her on a trial of antibiotics...many LLMDs do this for diagnostic purposes anyway since lyme should be a clinical diagnosis...a person's reaction to antibiotics can give them some clues as to whether a person has it or not. I know how 6-7 weeks can seem like 3 years when you are so sick...I bet the clinic will consider this...

Take care and I hope your friend finds relief soon.

------------------
"If I can stop one/Heart from breaking/I shall not live in vain/If I can ease one Life the Aching/Or cool one Pain/Or help one fainting Robin/Unto his Nest again/I Shall not live in Vain." Emily Dickinson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pippy..

What a good soul you have to want to help others. Your friend is lucky to have you.

Since you are most familiar.. and I am at a loss not knowing the specifics...

Please tell me what YOU think is the best way to help?

Is she severely depressed and needing support in that area?

Is she in pain?

Does she need help to intervene with the waiting time for the next appointment?

Does she need someone to talk to that will give her hope?

What can we do to help?

I know folks here will do all they can... but we need a bit of direction from you to get us started.

OK?

Please let us know.. and tell your friend..

Tincup says..

"Don't be peaking into any cannons. It can be rough on the hair-do."

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping Up...and wanted to tell TinCup that I love her quote..."Don't be peaking into any cannons. It can be rough on the hair-do." Sound advice I should take to heart AND it made me LAUGH Thanks!
Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for responding.
Tincup, thanks for taking the time to ask questions and get more info. Your quote was cute,too.
My friend cannot access the Lymenet site, so I have passed along your kind words to her. She has an e-mail address, however. I do not live near her so it is hard for me to do anything tangible.

Yes, she does need help in all areas. She lives on government assistance and some help from her family. She is afraid that as soon as her medicade stops she will have to go to a nursing home for the rest of her life (she's only in her 40's) because its based on being nursing home eligible.

She needs to get treatment going as soon as possible but is afraid she scared the Lyme doc when she emphasized the parasites that were/are eating away at her. From what she told me, it sounded like the doc does not want to touch her with a ten foot pole due to this. He said they would call back in 6 weeks when the test reults came in. It's been about 5 weeks since the appointment.

Yes, she is contemplating ending her life and I don't think her situation is being taken as seriously becuase she is too sick to advocate for herself. She is also frightened. She fears making the doctor angry by asking him to help her by getting her back to see him sooner or putting her on meds. Hers is a desperate case both medically and financially. She is too sick to go to bat for herself and her family is her elderly father who also cannot advocate for her.

My questions are:

1.Is there any way she can get her meds paid for if she qualifies for govt assistance? How would I find out?

2. Is there a Lyme advocacy group that could help get her the two hours to the appointment, make sure she gets treated properly. She has never had treatment for Lyme.

3. Is there anyone who will help her figure out how to get on Lymenet so she at least can come her and see she is not alone?

4. She cannot travel very far. Even the 2 hours to the clinic was hard on her sores. She went all that way to be seemingly brushed off. She is basically home bound so it is hard to get her any real help. Any suggestions?

3. Is there anyone who will believe her that she has parasites? This is a big deal to her and she feels afraid to open up about this for fear of being labeled as crazy. She is definiately not crazy and she does have some serious skin things that are real. We all know that Lyme itself can make a person feel "crazy" and have crawling sensations, but she is truly scared. It is hard for her to trust doctors, understandably. I have told her not to give up and that docs are human and sometimes we have to use them even if they don't "get" all we are going through.

She says if the clinic will take her as a patient she will do their treatment, yet in the waiting time she is feeling like they gave her the brush off and don't want to touch her with a ten foot pole. That is the feeling she got when she left the clinic after asking why they weren't putting her on anything or giving her anything to start with. How can she deal with this diplomatically so she gets treated?

Hope this is not too much for you all to digest but these are the issues she is facing and could use some compassion and help with.

Thank you all, you are angeles and I hope and pray she will be touched by you as I have.
God Bless you!

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well dear..

I am bone tired but will post a few things before I drop. Sorry.. once my brain says "no more".. it usually means it.

You said...

1.Is there any way she can get her meds paid for if she qualifies for govt assistance? How would I find out?

Try the site here for free and/or reduced priced meds. It will take some effort on your part... but a number of folks have been helped.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004031.html

2. Is there a Lyme advocacy group that could help get her the two hours to the appointment, make sure she gets treated properly. She has never had treatment for Lyme.

I need to know where she is located to help with that. What town and state?

There is sometimes buses that are used by seniors and disabled folks that are provided by counties where folks live. This MAY help? Please check her local county senior center for help with that.. or the states transportation system.

A local church may have members that can help transport. The Salvation Army may have a list of available resources also... so call them if you can... or let me know where she is so I can.

3. Is there anyone who will help her figure out how to get on Lymenet so she at least can come her and see she is not alone?

Yes.. I am sure one of the members who is more computer literate than myself will offer to help. I will make a separate post and ask.

4. She cannot travel very far. Even the 2 hours to the clinic was hard on her sores. She went all that way to be seemingly brushed off. She is basically home bound so it is hard to get her any real help. Any suggestions?

Start by contacting the Salvation Army and/or Red Cross and ask for help... and if they don't help.. ask them who can. They should be able to provide some good leads.

There should also be a county mental health department in her area. Folks with low income and/or no insurance can NORMALLY have access to some help.

And don't think I send her there because she is crazy.

Hmmmmmm.. however... if she is YOUR friend.. maybe she IS a bit touched? HA! Just kidding!

The mental health professionals should be able to get her help with several things. NOW is the time to ASK for help. Don't worry what they think.. start getting ALL the help she can... ASAP. They will also be able to help her apply for any benefits she may be entitled to.

3. Is there anyone who will believe her that she has parasites?

Instead of approaching the fact by saying.. "I have parasites".. perhaps say.. "WHAT is this skin problem?"

Then show them.. and let THEM come up with an answer. You know how doctors ego's can be. Let THEM figure it out.

You said... "She says if the clinic will take her as a patient she will do their treatment, yet in the waiting time she is feeling like they gave her the brush off and don't want to touch her with a ten foot pole."

That is normal. When we are scared.. we feel a great deal of desperation. We wonder if anyone WILL help us.. or CAN help us. I have been through that.. and KNOW how horrible it feels.

Tell her not to worry. Worry never cured Lyme... and I am living proof. If it did.. I would have had enough "cure" saved up to help all of us.

If she went to the J Clinic.. they should help her no matter what kind of an impression she thinks she made.

If you have ANY problems with that.. let me know. I will do my best to rattle some cages and get her help without being offensive.

You said.. "How can she deal with this diplomatically so she gets treated?"

My bet is she has a 90 percent fear level going on and messing with her brain.. and 10 percent chance of it actually becoming a reality that they won't treat her.

Did that make sense? I'm sorry.. getting very tired.

In other words.. tell her to NOT worry. She is in the "final stages" of waiting. She has made it through the hardest part. DON'T GIVE UP NOW!

And.. if by chance.. all fails.. which I don't think it will.. but if it does...

Keep in mind.. I was totally bed bound for years. And I held on to the thinnest straw you could imagine. FINALLY I got help.

And I didn't have all these guys to help me back then. She has a MUCH better chance of getting help than many of us ever did.

And.. after getting help..

As Toby Keith says..

"How do you like me NOW?"

I will check in tomorrow night after my long day going to my doctor. YULK!

Let me know what help is still needed...

And let her know she now has LOTS of folks who have been through this before.. and they are on HER side.

I know some of these new friends here are pretty whacky.. like Lymetutu who goes around dropping her drawers for the whole world to see...

BUT.. if we can love HER.. your friend will be OUR friend too.. no problem.

Hang in there!

Both of you.

OK?

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could try to help her get on Lymenet - but need an email address.

email me at dequickert@omsoft.com

Dan

[This message has been edited by danq (edited 08 February 2005).]

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pippy,

I am so sorry about your friend. I bet she feels really fortunate to have your support. I hope she can get to Lymenet soon to get some more help and support!

I see Tincup posted on the free/reduced prices med resources. The pharmaceutical companies and other programs can really help in that area.

Have either of you been in touch with her nearest support group? Perhaps they are aware of other resources to help her.

As far as the doctor, if she has symptoms consistent with Lyme, it would probably help for her to focus on that at the next appointment.

HUGS,
Cheryl

------------------
Lyme Disease Information By Email:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lymeinfo/
Lyme Disease Information Online:
http://www.lymeinfo.net
FEB 2005- New website coming soon!

[This message has been edited by Cheryl (edited 08 February 2005).]

Posts: 1547 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MYSTERY ILLNESS:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/4170085/detail.html
http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stories/110904kvueHealth-eh.3f4d4cc0.html
http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=2403626&nav=0s3cRlwm

Posts: 1547 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl
Member # 75

Another article: http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2004/05/08/70309.php

Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Where does she live Pippy? I would be more than happy to help her figure out how to register a name on lymenet as well...I was at one time a tech support rep. It was a very small software company and I don't know it all by any means but may be able to help her. You just let me know...I want to help her any way I can...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement