LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babs tX - Mepron/Zith combined with other ABX's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babs tX - Mepron/Zith combined with other ABX's?
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Fellow Bab's sufferers,

I need some input...Have any of you taken other antibiotics concurrently with Mepron/Zithromax treatment for Babs? I have been instructed by my LLMDs office for the next month to take the mepron/zithromax combo with 1600 mg of another antibiotic then add 1000 mg of flagyl in addition to everything else for the third week of tX before taking a week vacation from everything...My gut level reaction is this is just way too much but I am not the expert...as well I worry that I may have misunderstood their instructions...any insight from any of you?
Thanks!

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there

Heres what i was on at the same time.

Ceftriaxone IV 4gm/day, Flagyl, Mepron, Zith, Artemisia + nystantin. I had the triple B Babesia, borellia, bartonella.

Needless to say I was in extremely bad shape when I started treatment. It took 6 months for the mepron to work, and that only after I increased the does of artimesia. I only take malarone, artiminisin and ketek now.

I am now back to skiing every 2 to 3 days.. and able to write semi intelligently although the speeling has been permanently damaged.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply David! I am happy to hear about your skiing...for me it is rowing...I finally moved to a place where water is easily accessible again so I was heart broken when on my second time out on the water I almost passed out when I was sick. I have/had/am dealing with lyme, babesia, and ehrlichia...the Nantucket trifecta as I read in one article...

Anyway, if I do what is rXed to me it will be each day 2 tsp. of Mepron - 750 mg of Zithro - and 1700 mg of Septra - then on third week 1000 mg of Flagyl...so you think I will live through it?

Thanks again for the reply...I have been on the 750 of zithro/mepron for the last two days...think I will introduce 850 of the Septra and see how I fair and then onward and upward from there...

[This message has been edited by Lymied (edited 07 February 2005).]

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on mepron 10ml/2x day and artemisinin (different from artemisia) for three months. My babs symptoms have cleared up, although I'm sticking with the treatment to be sure.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the stuff really never bothered me that much. Maybe it was because I was so bad when I started that I didn't notice it.

This was second time around for treatment. The first round was a botched text book treatment. The second round was really tough as compared to the first time.

I did notice that the really good symptom flairs that where followed by significant improvement where all characterized by a couple of days of extremely sick feeling.

The first time I even stopped the meds and did a liver panel that day because I though that I couldn't take it anymore, the next times I just pushed through after figuring out what was going on.

I did weekly blood work and still do due to the Ketek and malarone.

Flagyl the second time around was pretty easy the first time it was a bit rougher.

One thing to remember. Sequenece the drug startup and discontinuance, Otherwise you won't know what each drug is doing.

It takes about 4 days for each of the drugs to kick in so I usually waited 6 days before adding a drug.

Dont take mepron alone. The parasite will become immune to mepron alone (at least as reported in clinical trials), It has to be taken with zith or another macrolide. So if you did want to sequence the start up I would start with zith then mepron then .... Still go with way the Dr says.

You'll be ok, although there will likely be a few rough days.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Thanks you two...David that is what I will do...good reminder about the zithro and mepron, I have read that. I was going to try to add in the Septra tomorrow but maybe I will wait until day 6 although when I first herxed with just the Mepron/Zith it was at the two week mark...other abx's seem to be day 6 for me too...then it is sort of like constant brain fog with a 4 day stint of hell before I start to pull out of it for the next cycle...been treating since Nov. 1st...so once again thanks for the tips...it is much better hearing it from someone that has been there/done that...I really do appreciate it!
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also did heavy abx combos with mepron zith (bicillin the whole time, plaquenil for 2 months; levaquin for 2 months); did fine BUT--

--when he took Septra, the hubby became steadily more allergic to it, and had to discontinue it after about 12 days. Septra is associated with Stevens Johnson syndrome, and the reaction to it can be very dangerous. I don't think the problem was in the combination of mepron/zith with Septra -- just the septra itself.

He also got a mepron rash, but that was a localized patch of reddened skin on his chest and stomach. The Septra rash was raised, itching bumps that appeared on his hands, ankles, and back, and spread fairly rapidly from there. Also peeling skin. The septra rash and itchiness started subsiding about 24 hours after he quit taking septra, but it took a good week for it to disappear altogether.

I also think that the artemisinin we took (300 mg morning and night) helped with the babesia.

Good luck.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Thanks Minoucat! I will keep that in mind regarding the Septra. I am glad that both you and your husband are better these days and that you got through the treatment. I have Artemisinin but have not started taking it because my LLMD feels I should take it more on a maintenance plan after tX but I am so tempted to start taking it since I have heard such good things about it. Thanks Again.
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Zith/Mepron but my LLMD replaced the Zith with Ketek. It is a totally new abx, it is like Zith but where Zith attacks one BB protein the Ketek attacks two BB BB proteins.
Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Ah interesting...I have been hearing a lot about Ketek and would like to try it at some point....
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not entirely sure, but I read that Ketek is the same chemical structure as Zithromax - same base macrolide with different inactive ingredients.

I am on Mepron/Zith/Bicillin & Artimisinin. Was off Zith for a long time and improved even without it. It was added back in recently because I was getting some return Babs symptoms. So, I guess the macrolide for Babs theory is correct - we'll see. I sure feel crunny on the Zith, though.

Artimisinin has been a big help. The manufacturer recommends taking a break every 4-6 weeks. I do and I can always tell the difference because the chills & fevers come back for a couple of days.

Must say, I am tired of swallowing the yellow goo.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement