LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The metals and chelation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The metals and chelation
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the human system, the bivalent metals are engaged in a continuous fight against one another, e.g. copper against zinc, magnesium against calcium, which results in the replacement of the "lighter" element by the "heavier" one in terms of their atomic masses.

Replacement reactions, also called "fight for the site," occur when heavy metals grab the biological spaces that should be filled by necessary minerals.
www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ mi_m0ISW/is_245/ai_111496963

Minerals, such as magnesium, zinc, calcium, selenium, and manganese, function as co-factors in various enzyme systems of the body. The toxic heavy metals inhibit metabolic actions by displacing trace minerals, inhibiting enzyme systems, and attaching to proteins.

Deficiencies of some minerals (e.g., zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, and selenium) AUGMENT heavy metal toxicity.
http://www.rhinebeckhealth.com/rhc/heavy_metal.php

Magnesium -- It is involved in the transmission of nervous system impulses and assists in the uptake of calcium and potassium. Magnesium concentration has an effect on serotonin receptors and a variety of other migraine related receptors and neurotransmitters.

Magnesium also displaces toxic heavy metals from the body.
http://www.incrediblehorizons.com/balance-ingred.htm

Definition of Displacement: ``a reaction in which an atom, a radical, or a molecule REPLACES another in a compound''.

(Then other nutrients can, and do, actually remove them from the body.)

Auto-immune complications of D-penicillamine--a possible result of zinc and magnesium depletion and of pyridoxine inactivation.

Seelig MS.

Long-term high-dosage penicillamine treatment of patients with advanced stages of diseases with autoimmune components has resulted in very few adverse reactions in a series of over 50 such patients ***also given selected nutrients: pyridoxine, zinc and magnesium (which penicillamine inactivates or chelates), and vitamins B1, B12, and E (which have sulfhydryl-protective activity).

The patients on this regimen have been essentially ***free of the side effects that occur in about a third of patients treated with penicillamine without such supplements.

Reports of myasthenia gravis--a disease with abnormalities of the thymus and of T-cells, as a side effect of penicillamine--***suggest that zinc, magnesium, and pyridoxine might be the agents most likely to be protective.

Pyridoxine is necessary for cellular accumulation of zinc and magnesium, deficiencies of which have caused thymic and other immunologic abnormalities. Whether the other vitamins administered contribute to the favorable results requires further study.

PMID: 7185852

The ideal form of oral EDTA would be the di-potassium salt of the magnesium chelate, since these two very important intracellular minerals would be dissociated in the intestinal tract and available for absorption.

The affinity of EDTA for magnesium is very low, resulting in exchange of magnesium for toxic metals in the intestinal tract. This is the approach of choice and preliminary data so far suggest that with the exception of chromium, red cell levels of trace elements do not decrease following 3 months of oral Mg EDTA K2 at a daily dosage of 1.8 gm

In some subjects, there is a slight drop in red cell chromium, which is correctable with chromium supplementation. The red cell levels of mercury, lead and cadmium decreased Significantly following 3 months on oral EDTA. There is so far no side effects except urinary urgency in some subjects during the first hour after ingestion.
http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/articles/p113.htm

Utilizing a combination of minerals, such as magnesium and calcium, is even more effective in clearing metals from the body.

A mineral-rich diet acts as a chelating agent. Many minerals will chelate metals, including calcium, magnesium, zinc and selenium
http://tuberose.com/Metal_Detoxification.html

Magnesium protects the cell from aluminum, mercury, lead, cadmium, beryllium and nickel.

Evidence is mounting that **** low levels of magnesium contribute to the heavy metal deposition in the brain that precedes Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's.***

*** It is probable that low total body magnesium contributes to heavy metal toxicity*** in children and is a participant in the etiology of learning disorders.
http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

NDF as a detox, which GiGi promotes (via Dr. K) contains chorella which contains a HUGE assortment of nutrients and a LOT of Mg. Since we can't normally digest the algae chorella, companies have to break open the cell wall to get to the nutrients.

Solar Ray has not only broken the cell wall, they have literally pulverized it to make it much more available for us to absorb.

See my post about what nutrients chorella contains...amazing!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulscha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulscha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Marnie! This is very helpful. I am eager to try the Solar Ray product.
Posts: 199 | From Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-penicillamine can have some awful side effects. It wasn't worth the risk although it is suposedly a good chelating agent.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spotted pony
Member # 4963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spotted pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marnie,
I'm not on here very often, but I just posted above. I want to say thanks for all the great stuff you post here. You are an absolute angel to help us like you do! Your magnesium protocol really helps me.
I keep reading and keep learning thanks to you and many others who are so knowlegable (GIGI, TX Lyme Mom, Tincup....to name a few).
Thanks to all!

Spotted pony's jockey

PS. I wonder if magnesium works for horses and ponies?

Posts: 72 | From Loudoun county, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, just want to add here that I do not "promote" NDF. Neither does Dr. K. It is a good detox agent for the right patient, and certainly only when the time is right. It is not for everybody and should only be used if a doctor recommends it. That's one reason it is only sold to physicians.

No detox agent is suitable for everybody and heavy metal detox should only be done under supervision. It can be very damaging if not done the right way. You want to get the metals out, not relocate them elsewhere, possibly into the brain or kidney.

There is a person on this board who did his own detoxing, following what he read about Dr. K's protocol, so he says.

Any protocol on Dr. K.'s website is there mainly, so that practitioners who have taken the training and attended seminars can refresh their memories. Of course, we can all read and learn about it, and that is why I have been posting here. Some information on Dr. K's website is not longer up-to-date. In alternative medicine, nothing stands still. When something else works better, things change, and the old is dropped. Dr. K. is always a thousand miles ahead and research is ongoing - he is constantly in touch with scientist/researchers.

I have always suggested that people seek a practitioner knowledgable in the field of heavy metal detox. I have always stated very clearly that heavy metal detoxing is not a do-it-yourself project.

I know and understand that we all go broke trying to rid outselves of these toxins.
If you do it yourself or allow a doctor to do it for you who has no experience, or a doctor without a medical degree of some sort, you alone must take the blame. Many of these practitioners or some LLMD's who now realize that heavy metal might be a problem, are literally flying by the seat of their pants.

They do not understand heavy metal detoxing, especially when it is patient with other multiple infections. I shudder at some of the things I have been told by patients. And once they have messed you up, you or he/she will never know that it was the wrong detox for you. You "blame it on Lyme, or this detox stuff doesn't work, or taking my fillings out did not make a bit of difference. I am still miserable."

This person is now blaming me and blaming openly on the internet Dr. K's protocol as having caused him great trouble. He is extremely disrespectful of me and the knowledge from Dr. K. that I have brought here. The person I am speaking of has never been a patient of Dr. K. and if he followed any of Dr. K's protocol it is totally his own doing. First he sucked every bit of information out of me with phone calls and e-mails; and now he kicks me in the face, and complains that Dr. K's protocols are lousy attacking his reputation. This is not the first time either.

So - believe me, if it weren't for the compassion I feel for so many of you, because I was in pain for so many years as some of you still are, I would be long gone from this board. Wednesday this week, one of you, who used to post here, is coming out to Seattle again. We will meet at Dr. K's and at my home. She had cancer, and Lyme, and heavy metals, and dental infections at one time, and she is doing incredibly well now. That alone, and a few people like her, from whom you do not hear any longer who are doing well also, keeps me posting here. Whether Skyking likes it or not.

So be warned again, do not do your own heavy-metal detoxing. It is not easy and is a delicate job for any practitioner. Some of thewww.noamalgam.com followers often find their way to Dr. K. two years later when they realize that whatever the did, did not work and they still hold on to metals they had thought they had gotten rid of. Not only is it a horrible waste of physical energy and cost, but it is also damaging to your body.

Don't forget that a lot of this stuff that you find on the internet is often ancient and has long been discarded by knowledgable practitioners.

The knowledge about heavy metal detoxing is very sparse and there are very few experts and people who really know what they are doing. Even Dr. Klinghardt gets unwanted surprises now and then when things do not go they way he had expected.

In heavy metal detoxing, all levels of healing play a role:
the biochemical, the structural, the energetic, and the emotional. If any of them are not addressed before and during, the body will not release metals. One of the biggest ones is the emotional connection.

To give you an example, I was allergic to phosphorus that had manifested itself when I lived as a teenager in Germany when my parents' house was bombed with what I knew to be "phosphorus bombs" - like the fireworks you have in this country. When my detoxing did not move along as expected, Dr. K. discovered with ART testing that I was allergic to phosphorus. Therefore my mineral balance was out of order. If you are allergic to any mineral, you do not absorb it from food, and on the other hand, the body will also not release it. Only after the emotional allergy had been cleared, which is easily done with ART, did my body start to detox. Yes, there is such a thing as an emotional allergy. Many people are allergic to mercury. Many people are allergic to nickle, as you probably all know. Nickle is a nasty toxic metal. Until the allergy is eliminated, no detox in the world is going to work.

So please - learn and educate yourself about it. Many practitioners are brandnew at this stuff.

I could make a number of comments on the sites Marnie brought up. I won't. A lot of information on the internet falls into the category "garbage in - garbage out". You may think the same about what I have been posting. The only thing I can say here that this knowledge that I have been posting here is all from my doctor's practice - tried and proven for many, many years. That does not mean you can go out, buy the stuff, and do it yourself.

Everything relating to a protocol that I post is cleared with ART testing before, b e f o r e , before the patient takes it. If ART says no, no matter how popular, it's a no. It's very possible that the "rejected" remedy will work beautifully a month or two or a year later.

This was not really meant to be said on this thread, but it sort of fit, because of the subject matter. If you do what I suggested not to do, and if it doesn't come out right, don't blame me, please.

Take care.

P.S. Thank you, Marnie.

P.P.S. D-Penicillamine has not been used by Dr. Klinghardt for years. He does not feel it is effective - the way he needs it to be. It still appears in some of the texts on the internet.

[This message has been edited by GiGi (edited 15 February 2005).]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks, Marnie, for this outstanding summary!

And GiGi, I always appreciate your words of wisdom.

I know that metal metabolism is still a work in progress, though our understanding really hasn't progressed much in the 30 years since I took a college course in "Trace Element Geochemistry and Health".

We've got to start somewhere and hopefully not hurt ourselves more in the process of discovering the entire truth about how our bodies process metals, and how different people may process them differently depending on other factors.

Sue

[This message has been edited by Sue vG (edited 15 February 2005).]

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ithyroid.com/mercury.htm

Thanks Gigi, for your words of wisdom. Here's an interesting article on Mercury & the Thyroid.

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,

When I said you ``promote'' NDF it was because of another post of yours:

posted 14 January 2005 00:34

``How do I get them out of my system?

I now recommend NDF as the chelating agent. You can read all about it in the Doctors area of the website.

How will I feel if I do?

Better! "

Now you say you do not ``promote'' NDF.

Should I have said you ``recommend'' it?

I don't understand. I'm trying.

Do you, or do you not, believe it is an excellent ``chelating'' nutrient? But not for everyone because some people may be already too high in ONE or more of the nutrients inside it? (The cell wall is a starch...a sugar chain...which would not be harmful to anyone. We HAVE to have glycogen...our brain cells need it..their only source of energy and our WBCs.)

Unfortunately my son still had a few ``silver'' fillings remaining before he got so very sick. I wish they were all out so he could begin "detoxing" via our doctor who is into nutritional therapies and chelation also.

I understand chelation should not be done WHILE dental fillings remain or serious tooth problems can develop. I will share the NDF information with him for future reference though.

Still, I am currently giving my son small doses of chorella...not anywhere near what Dr. Mercola says may be nec. to fight cancer.

Researchers do not make it easy on us...one day a treatment (or whatever) is good, next day it isn't! (The other chelating agents.)

Chorella quality issues make me nervous though. Some companies are not as ``ethical'' as others.

I believe the reason
WHY the heavy metals and the other imbalances that occur - hormones, enzymes, etc. are all due to a severe downward spiral of the magnesium level. We KNOW it happens very fast. Look closely at the Romanian cancer hospital abstract and look closely at the % drop in Mg off the bat. It is astounding.

This is one very toxic bug.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pomegranite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pomegranite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Y'all~

Thanks for the info. For the ignorant, what is ART testing?

Pomegranite

Posts: 309 | From CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement