LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » why does the warmth of tanning bed feel so good after?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why does the warmth of tanning bed feel so good after?
lla2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I"m on my way with my kids down to see my dad in fla for a week next week, adn didn't want to burn so i've slowly been doing a few times a weeek in a tanning bed, licensed and all....have done them before etc...

I love how i feel afterward ..I always feel soooo much better for days afterward...the warmth and artificial sun makes me feel soo much better...anyone have any idea why that is?

I also feel better when i go down to fla or here in ri in summmer too...winter in ri is awful for me...maybe i should move???

LIsa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Lisa,

I just wrote a message but don't know what happened to it so I'll try again.

If you are like my daughter and I, the heat really helps our pain. It just plain makes us feel better. It doesn't last for days like you though.

We own a 32 bed tanning salon and we have alot of clients that come just for that reason. Then we have some that have SAD and that really helps that.

I know some are totally against tanning beds but the damage comes from burning. We are a certified salon so we don't allow anyone to stay long enough to get burned. The same with the sun. The damage to the skin comes from getting burned.

We have about 5 doctors that tan with us. They do it for the tan though. We also have several older ones that come for the way it makes them feel. One man is in his 80's. Believe me, I was shocked when he came in.

Sounds like you are tanning the smart way. Never allow yourself to get burned in the sun or out.

I'm glad you found something to make you feel a little better. We need all the help we can get. I can't tan right now because I am on Doxy. That's another thing we make sure of, is we check to see if they are on meds that would make them burn.

Take care,
Sapphire

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone?

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

thanks sapphire, I didn't see your post obviosly! yeah, I go really slow, so i never burn, and I'm not on any meds right now, so I don't have to worry about that part...I was wondering if the heat kills the keets at all? I don't think I have any left, that's why I dont' need any abx, but was wondering for others ???

anyway, I feel really good when I am in the warmth...

thanks for responding to me..

Lisa

sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Lisa,

I just thought of something. If it's really hot in the room and we get too hot then we both get really sick. As long as we don't get too hot it makes us feel better. Does it bother you if you get too hot?

I've wondered about this. Now that I know we both have lyme, I wonder if the heat is killing the keets and that's what makes us so sick.

Also, neither of us can stand to get in a hot tub. We both get very sick. If anyone knows the reason why, I would love to know.
Hubby was trying to be nice and wanted to buy me a hot tub but I had to tell him I couldn't use it.

Hope you have a good time in FL.

Take care,
Sapphire

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeyinok
Member # 5817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeyinok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also love going to the tanning salon and just started back as I am also headed to FLorida and the sun for spring break!

I know some dont agree, but the sun makes me feel better. I have been diagnosed with lyme for 2 1/2 years and feel much better when I tan either artificially or in the summer sun. I am always lowest and feel worst in the cold winter, but improve as soon as I start tanning and it starts to warm up!

BTW: I dont think it is just heat related as I use a Far infrared sauna almost daily and tho it feels good, it is not the same as the feeling from tanning.

Anyone else out there with this same experience?

Posts: 46 | From Norman, OK, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vandeb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vandeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question......why did my LLMD say to stay out of the sun or tanning beds while on antibiotics? I've been on anx over a year now....does anybody have any problems with the sun or tanning that are taking abx? thanks for the info.....I used to love to tan but quit because I thought I had to when taking abx.........

------------------
Debbie V.

Posts: 125 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We moved to Fla. this past summer, from NY. I had a hard time adjusting initially, was retaining water in my ankles and legs like crazy, but the heat felt so good, even in 90 degrees.

We had lived in the NY suburbs, and I was shivering from October to May, was sleeping with layers of clothes and several blankets, wore layers during the day. During the weekend, I hibernated in the house.

If you constantly feel chilled as I did from the Lyme, the warmth here is great. I sunbathe almost daily, even though it takes me a long time to get to the pool when I am in pain. There have been days that I have been in bed crying, and even if I can't get myself out until 2pm, the sun really makes a difference.

Hope this helps. And please be careful with the tanning bed, I tried it once or twice and burned each time. I haven't burned here at all. The sun right now down here isn't that strong so it may not be a problem for you. Bring a light jacket for the night, and some socks.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

thanks, I know hte eves have been getting chilly..willl do that. I know what you mean..the sun always makes me feel better too...some lymies it makes worse, but for me , always better. and summer here at the beach is ALWAYS my best season health wise...go to the beach every day,and usually feel great!
thanks for all the info..

Lisa

TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel awesome in the summer, most of the time. I feel great after a sauna, too.

To me, that means I am actually winning the war and full of DEAD keets that need detoxed ( and heat helps clear up) rather than still having a hefty dose of keet load and the heat makes me herx , instead.

I think that made sense.

Vandeb: it depends on what abx you are on. Doxy and Septra I believe and a few others, will give you really bad sunburn if you use them and go in the sun.

If I encounter heat ( sun, tanning, etc) and I feel like crap, I begin to worry that the keets are winning.

I do get some small detox reactions , but I feel NORMAL afterwards, as compared to just having one too many keets.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 19 page file on sunlight and why it makes us feel good...to long to post here.

Yes...Florida is great! Never want to return to the Chicago area again. We had enough of winters there.

And...Florida encourages alternative treatments...

Red tide near Sarasota right now. Hopefully gone soon.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brodius
Member # 6835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brodius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too feel so much better in the sun or when I used to use the tanning bed - I don't now b/c of being on doxy - I am trying to plan a trip anywhere warm because I know I will feel so much better.

Brodius

Posts: 78 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following explanation is what Trevor Marshall, PhD (www.marshallprotocol.com) would likely give you:

I believe he would say that when you are getting a lot of sun exposure, your 1,25-D levels increase, that 1,25-D at high levels is immunospuppressive and, as such, suppress your symptoms, making you feel better.

He believes that many people feel better in the summer due to this effect and then feel worse in the winter as the immunosuppressive effects of 1,25-D disappear as levels come down AND you feel the effect of the increased pathogen load due to suppression of the immune response to them during the summer.

I imagine that this explanation would also apply to the use of tanning beds.

The jury is still out on Dr. Marshall's work but the NIH and FDA will be attending his upcoming conference in March, which I hope will lead to increased scrutiny of his pathogenesis and protocol. It will probably be many years before there is any kind of consensus on its validity, so for the moment, each patient for himself, I guess.

Ticked

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

so I really don't care if I get rid of every little 'bugger'..I lived in remission for 10 years with my immune system keeping this in check...

if what you say is true, then If i tan all year in warm weather my immune system will be able to keep me basically in remission...?

why wouldn't we all be doing this then ? I think I"ll plan on it now...sounds great to me...who cares if i have lyme left in me...if the heat makes my immune system keep it in check and no symptoms I"m the first in line!!

thanks for this info.....

Lisa

BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
IS there a list of antibiotics that is a problem with the sun/tanning booths?
I am on Rifampin, Biaxin, Clidimycin, and Ouinine?
Are these ok with the sun?
thanks
Peace,
BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

BJG,

In the tanning salon we do have a list of drugs that would make you sun sensitive but my advice would be to call your pharmacist just to be sure. We do that sometimes just to make sure we don't burn someone.

Sapphire

artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from what i understand about the chetes - any kind of heat is bad for them - so no need to get wrinkled or get skin cancer - you can just as easily get into a hot tub or sauna.

Let's not trade lyme disease for melanoma!

I don't buy the whole tanning bed story, i've read the data and they aren't any better than the sun in terms of causing skin cancer.

[This message has been edited by artbyjessie2 (edited 16 February 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>> so I really don't care if I get rid of every little 'bugger'..I lived in remission for 10 years with my immune system keeping this in check...

No, your immune system stops responding which means you FEEL better, but you are actually GETTING MUCH SICKER as your pathogen load increases because your immune system is not fighting it.

At some point, the effects of immunosuppression stop > you stop FEELING better > since you are now much sicker because your immune system was turned off/way down, you are in much more dire straights than when you started.

Ticked

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

I"m sorry, but i don't believe your theory, adn I'm a nurse. I believe we strenthen our immune system enough and it keeeps the lyme and coinfections at bay, so that it doesnt' get strong enough to exhibit symtoms and doesn't keep multiplying and getting STRONGER. THat's what happened in my situation....then I got bit again...and all you know what broke loose...my immune system couldn't handle it anymore..it was right after surgery and my body couldn't fight both...

I totally disagree with your theory..but that's ok...we all can agree to disagree here, that's the fun of it! We will never get rid of all the lyme in our body. our llmds try to strenthen our immune system and lower our load enough so that our ownimmune system will be able to keep that load low and keep so our symptoms will be able to be kept in check...

that's the best it will ever get...we will never elimnat lyme/etc totally from our bodies..that's why we can't ever give blood etc..strengthen the immune system..that's the key ..

Lisa

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement