LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » bad conversation, need to hear some GOOD pregnancy outcomes...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bad conversation, need to hear some GOOD pregnancy outcomes...
artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had a conversation with an "expert" who has seen a LOT of bad lyme outcomes.

When i brought up having kids she made it sound like i should never even try. :-(

i just got married and my husband and i are looking forward to starting a family.

i know there are some women here who had successful pregnancies....... please tell me it's possible?

i know i would have to be in better shape and off my meds etc but it's possible right?
I'm really depressed right now.
this disease took away so much from me.
if it takes away my dream of having a family i am going to lose my mind!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrwolf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skrwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

I had a healthy baby girl in April 2004 while being treated for Lyme 1 1/2 years prior to my pregnancy, during my pregnancy, and currently. I am the moderator of a pregnancy and Lyme Yahoo group and we have had four healthy babies born, with more on the way.

"The" Dr. B helped LDA with a study of Lyme and pregnant women. In properly and adequately treated pregnancies, there were no Lyme complications. Dr. J also feels that Lyme patients can have pretty safe pregnancies.

Unfortunately, there is just isn't a whole lot of research out there on TREATED pregnancies. From what I've read, acquiring Lyme while pregnant is much worse. The key is, though, to have an adequately treated pregnancy.

Yes, there have been women who have been treated who have Lyme babies. But that is the very small minority. Treating during pregnancy isn't 100% foolproof, but I trust the info from Dr. B a lot.

I have been flamed for posting about pregnancy, but for me, my beautiful baby girl was well worth the small risk. She is truly the light of our lives. I have two other children who I wasn't treated with during my pregnancies, and they are healthy with no Lyme symptoms.

Who was this "expert" you were talking to? I would call Dr. Jones' office and talk to them... They can give you the best protocol and recommendations. What does your LLMD think about pregnancy?

I refuse to let Lyme rule my life and take away my dreams. My husband and I educated ourselves, we took precautions (meds), and ended up with an incredible addition to our family.

I wish you the best... I certainly don't have all the answers. We just made the best decision for our family with the info that we have. I can send you the info that I have if you would like, and please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes!

Shelly :-)
[email protected]

P.S. I did want to add... I would try to be in the best physical health yourself to give yourself and the baby the best possible odds.

[This message has been edited by skrwolf (edited 16 February 2005).]

Posts: 292 | From UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Thanks Shelly.....
This person was an advocate - I would certainly trust the LLMDs you are talking about more but she does know her stuff.

I had some doubts and that is why I posted here to see what some real life experiences were with this.

It is very encouraging to hear about healthy babies being born! It gives me hope.

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres some stuff too.I think amoxicilin is one of the abx's that they keep you on when your pregnant? not possitive though.

Pregnancy
Pregnancy?
TC Link Pregnancy

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my son before I knew I had Lyme.

I was not having full blown symptoms at the time though. It wasn't until after my pregnancy that the Lyme decided to make itself known.

I had a healthy pregnancy. I was a little anemic and my son was a very big baby - but other than that, there was nothing wrong with the pregnancy or delivery.

My son has been very healthy and show no symptoms as of yet.

He was also breast fed for a few months.

I know that Lyme is a ticking timebomb, so I try to make sure I keep an eye out for any symptoms he may get.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be possible to get the link to your Lyme and pregnancy board??

I am also wnating to have children one day. I amk 33...So I feel I am running out of time...ALthough I also know I need to get to a better levem of health as well.

Can anyone tell me if they have had kids while having Lyme, did their sx get worse during pregnancy or after birth??

I think that is my biggest concern, that the stress of the pregnancy and birth could worsen my Lyme and I could not function well as a mom.

I have spoke to my LLMD about this...He said that with proper treatment, most women to fine although they cant be 100% about everyone.

I spoke to my OB/Gyn who said it was fine to be on Bicillan, augmentin, or ammox while pregnant.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarabear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a healthy baby boy (14 months old), who was born a perfect 7 pounds, and has hardly even had a cold since birth.

I also have a baby on the way. It wasn't until after becomming pregnant with this baby that I was aware I have Lyme. I was untreated during the first pregnancy and it turned out great. I am being treated with amoxy 4500 mg/day during this pregnancy and feel the odds are pretty good to have another healthy, happy baby.

There are no guarantees, but with proper treatment throughout pregnancy the odds are greatly in your favor! MY opinion is to do your research and to not allow this to deter you from achieving your dream of a family, which you can do in sound mind with proper treatment during pregnancy!

Best wishes,
Sara

Posts: 160 | From Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Sara, Jill, Shelly....... thanks for giving me some hope!
Nukegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nukegirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christine,

I am also 33 and feel exactly the way you do. My husband and I were trying to get pregnant when this December all heck broke loose and I had painful attacks that led me to wonder what was going on. I had seen five different doctors. Gynecologist to MD, to Neurologist, to opthamologist to Orthapedic. I took it upon myself to pay for a western blot that my doctor wouldn't approve. Its a good thing I did because it came back positive. I start treatment next week. I am scared but optimistic that when this is all over I will be able to get pregnant. Someday soon it will be our turn. When I start to get depressed I just think that this was god's way of saying it just wasn't time yet and wanted my body to get stronger before I bring baby into the world. Have hope..if you any of you ever want to talk you can e-mail me.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrwolf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skrwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the PregLyme group:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PregLyme/

Our activity kind of goes in spurts, but there are some great women there. Good luck!

Shelly :-)
[email protected]

Posts: 292 | From UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nukegirl - Thank you for the encouragment. I would love to email, but could not find it listed in the forums....

Here's mine [email protected]

I am very interested in connecting with women in my postion...its hard to feel like this and be alone sometimes... My husband understands, but he cannot truly get it since he dies not have Lyme.

Thank again!!

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My symptoms became extremely bad about 8 months after the delivery. I'm not sure if it was hormones, the stress of having a baby, lack of sleep or what but my body went bezerk at that time.

I had been having symptoms while pregnant but my primary and ob/gyn kept telling me it was normal for pregnancy. "You get stupid when you're pregnant." "You get clumsy when you're pregnant." You get fatigued when you're pregnant." You get night sweats when you're pregnant." "You get anxious and have a short temper when you're pregnant."

And they kept telling me that kind of stuff afterwards, too...."You get stupid after you have a baby."....

I want to get pregnant again but will wait.

It's terrible knowing that your child might have Lyme one day. To have my son go through what I am, to have my son be in pain - it is just my worst nightmare.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two sons ages 7 and 3. I didn't know I had lyme with either pregnancy. Both boys are fine, but have lyme. Both were diagnosed over this last Christmas.

I kept telling doctors how tired i was and they just told me that was normal.

The oldest was over 9lbs and started antibiotics when he was 4 months. I took him in and told the doctor his mouth was drouping on his right side--the doctor said, "I'm sorry your child isn't symetrical enough for you." That was bellspalsey, sigh

He had chronic ear infections, sinus infections, strep. I use to hate him being on antibiotics but now I realize he is probably closer to kicking this than the rest of the family. When he was a baby I knew he was herxing. I didn't know why--but I would always tell my husband that he was allergic to antibiotics and he felt worse a week after taking them--and this is when he was less than a year old! I breastfeed for 2 years--I thought I was doing the right thing for his ear problems.

The three year old went from 8 and half pounds to failure to thrive. Dr. kept blowing me off--told me he was fine even though we weren't poor, black or in an "angry" house. When I was diagnosed with Hashi's the doc had me quit breast feeding after a year and told me my milk was bad from the thyroid disease. Well, my milk was bad--but it was the lyme too!

Both boys seem fine and are above average in intelligence and looks (do I sound like a proud mom or what)!

I wouldn't let the lyme stop me from having kids--but it is really hard when they are in pain, or like my seven year old says, "I'm mad (or sad) and I don't know why." And they both have a lot of pain. It breaks my heart--but I can't imagine not having them.

It is always, ALWAYS important to listen to your "Mommie Voice." You actually know more than the doctor about how that baby feels.

You can take medicine while you are pregnant and treat them when they are born. And do a lot of praying--but babies are just the best... We are all going to get over this illness and I don't think it was a mistake to bring the boys into this world.

God bless,
Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nukegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nukegirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christine,

I will e-mail you.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement