LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is frequent urination a symptom of lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is frequent urination a symptom of lyme?
blueocean
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if frequent urination is a symptom of lyme? Drinking a large amount of water and not being able to retain it? constantly being dehydrated?

thanks so much for your help!

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjtighe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjtighe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know about frequency, but urgency is.

tj

Posts: 296 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have had this..eventually it developed into interstitial cystisis. For years I just had frequent urination tho.

The good news is mine went away after taking abx for months - (zithromax).

Emma

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticktoxic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticktoxic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had it for years. It gets better with the right abx. I think it is mostly because of the Bart, or Brucellis that I have. That's my guess.

TT

Posts: 134 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme spirochetes LOVE the bladder, according to my LLMD. I was dxd with Interstitial Cystitis 13 yrs ago.....dxd with Lyme 4 1/2 yrs ago. Have HAD Lyme for at least 46 yrs.

Treatment for Lyme has GREATLY improved my IC symptoms. Back before I was treated, I was hitting the bathroom more than 30 times a day! Now? Maybe 10!
www.ichelp.org

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh boy do i have this......
i get up a few times at night to go pee
drive me nuts

all my friends call me "Thimble Bladder"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes ,it hapenned to me too.
I used two have at least 3 UTI's a year.
Yes, I felt like dehydrated too!!!
Getting rid of infections and having candida undercontrol helped a lot.

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blueocean,
Always being thirsty, drinking alot of water, and passing a large volume of urine can be a symptom of diabetes.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blueocean -

I think I'm peeing out more than I'm taking in, so I'm wondering why I'm still tipping the scales at such a high set of digits.

Anyway - dx'ed with interstitial cystitis 5 years ago - before being dx'ed with Lyme - BUT I've supposedly had Lyme for 20-30 years.

IC has many symptoms - one is frequency/urgency - which is bothersome - but definitely not as bad as it can get.

If you start feeling like you have shards of glass in your bladder or if you feel like you're going to pass your bladder out one of your nearest orifices - then I'd seek some medical attention.

I found the IC Network (in the past) to be a very helpful message board when I needed to gain info. I don't go there much now because I already know everything (hahahaha) and because they don't tolerate profanity - and it's just too difficult to feel miserable and not express my TRUE emotions! @#$% @#$%^ jT%##@@5 @#$%^^, you know what I mean?

Many people with IC will urinate up to 20 - 30 times per day. This will interfere with a good night's sleep, which will in turn interfere with your Lyme symptoms.

If it interferes with sleep or symptoms become more bothersome, like the peeing glass feeling - see a urologist.

If they want to test you for IC - find out what they have in mind. Some of the testing and the treatments can be rather barbaric...HORRIFYING in fact.

If you want - write back - feel free to email me & I'll tell you more than you probably want to know.

Meanwhile, check out the IC-Network for info & message boards at www.ic-network.com (or maybe the extension is .org -- you'll figure it out) Just don't CUSS!!!!! I'm DR. Wiseguy there - even though I'm a gal. I was re-named by the administrators...and don't get me started on that.

Good luck!

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ibrakeforticks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ibrakeforticks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody's mentioned the prostate yet, which can cause urinary problems if you happen to be male.

You could have prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate), benign prostate enlargement or prostate cancer. Seeing a urologist and getting a blood test for PSA level might be useful.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have read that Lyme can cause frequent urination as well as increased thirst. I occasionally go through spells where I take 5 leaks before noon.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DR. Wiseass:

Anyway - dx'ed with interstitial cystitis 5 years ago - before being dx'ed with Lyme - BUT I've supposedly had Lyme for 20-30 years.

----------------------------------

If you start feeling like you have shards of glass in your bladder or if you feel like you're going to pass your bladder out one of your nearest orifices - then I'd seek some medical attention.

If they want to test you for IC - find out what they have in mind. Some of the testing and the treatments can be rather barbaric...HORRIFYING in fact.

Wow, brings back wonderful memories....arrrggghh! I'd almost forgotten how much pain I used to be in.

I had two bladder distentions and so many instillations of DMSO and heparin that I couldn't begin to put a total on them.
I did daily instillations of heparin for 6 months. Oh joy.

Thank goodness the abx worked!...took about 2 yrs of abx to improve the bladder symptoms.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I had this for a while and it finally went away with abx. One day I remember going like every half hour! Not much just had to "GO" with a very strong urgency. VERY ANNOYING! no pain tho.
patticake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi blueocean,

Yes, I have had frequent/urgent urination for a long time.
Zithromax has helped me a lot.

Hang in there.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had frequency issues more than urgency, particularly during the night. In my first months of treatment there were many nights when I got up to pee every hour.

The first night I used podi patches I slept through the night.

I'm using the patches almost every night now and only getting up once. Some nights I make it all the way to 6:00 am before trekking to the bathroom.

I do need to drink a lot of water. I think this has to do with the antibiotics.

I'm on the anti yeast diet and haven't had trouble with burning or urgency except a couple of times after "cheating". I don't remember what I ate but I think it may have been crackers or something with flour. This lessened my desire to cheat.

h&s

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueocean
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for taking the time to respond. appreciate it.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brighty
Member # 6808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brighty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nobody's mentioned the prostate yet, which can cause urinary problems if you happen to be male."

I start ABX for lyme in 8 days.

Had lots of bladder and prostate infections in the past 15 years. I have also have frequent urination, urgency to urinate, bowel movements. Even feelings like I need to go, but nothing comes.

In Jan 2004 I developed an itchiness in groin. Also lots of perspiring from the groin and back of upper legs. Some days can feel the sweat run down the back of my leg.

Thought it was yeast and tried over the counter creams plus prescription diflucan. Nothing worked.

Then had another prostitis in July. Got high doses of Floxin abx. Infection in prostate is gone, and coincidently so did the groin itchiness and perspiration disappear for three months. The perspiration and itchiness is now returned.

Posts: 66 | From BC Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, I hope this is one area that improves once the ticks are killed off in me.....

Bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebrat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ocean,

When my son was 6 and we first suspected Lyme, one of his main symptoms was that he had to urinate frequently. He would wake up at least 6 times a night.

~LymeBrat

Posts: 3154 | From NH , USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement