LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is optic neuritis a possible symptom of lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is optic neuritis a possible symptom of lyme
brighty
Member # 6808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brighty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw a very supportive opthamologist yesterday that has diagnosed lyme but is still learning about the disease. He wasn't aware that neuritis was a possible symptom of lyme.

Is it?

Posts: 66 | From BC Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often it is one of the first signs in MS. It is also seen in Lyme patients. Being that it is swelling or inflamation of the optic nerve, It would make sense that If you had neuro-Lyme that it is probably the cause.

I saw a neuro-opthamologist last year when I was having an episode, she told me that in her opinion it was related.

[This message has been edited by hwlatin (edited 17 February 2005).]

Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brighty
Member # 6808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brighty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the neuritis in one eye primarily or both?
Posts: 66 | From BC Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was in both, but one was much worse than the other, Interestingly most of my symptoms are worse on my right side of the body.
Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twoangie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: Med Trop (Mars). 1995;55(4 Pt 2):462-5.

[Unusual case of bilateral optic neuritis in Lyme neuroborreliosis]

[Article in French]

Bouat C, Meyer F, Rosier S, Boitte JP, Lawani R, Bregigeon M.

Service d'Ophtalmologie, l'Hopital d'Instruction des Armees Laveran, Marseille, France.

The most common manifestations of Lyme disease are neurologic and rheumatologic, but ophthalmologic lesions can also occur and may even be dominant. The authors describe a case of bilateral optic neuropathy associated with Lyme borreliosis that quickly led to near-total blindness. In addition to a loss in visual acuity and field bilateral papillary edema was documented by angiofluorography. A spectacular improvement was obtained under combined antimicrobial therapy using doxycycline and corticosteroid therapy. The patient rapidly recovered full vision. These observations are discussed within the context of Lyme disease with a review of other relevant ophthalmologic complications. The importance of careful interpretation of serology is emphasized.

Publication Types:
* Case Reports

PMID: 10906986 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 1993 | From Charlotte, NC, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twoangie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/350/2/e1

THE New England Journal of Medicine
Volume 350:e1
January 8, 2004
Number 2

Optic Neuritis Due to Bartonella henselae Infection

A 14-year-old girl presented with worsening headaches, unilateral decreased visual acuity (20/20 in the right eye and 5/200 in the left eye), and ocular pain in the left eye. The results of a neurologic examination were unremarkable. Contrast-enhanced computed tomography of the head and a lumbar puncture showed no abnormalities. A retinal examination showed bilateral optic-disk elevation with edema, lipid exudates that formed a macular star, and an area of choroiditis surrounded by serous fluid. The results of serologic evaluation for syphilis and Lyme disease and of a skin test for tuberculosis were negative. Indirect immunofluorescence assays showed that the titers of antibodies against Bartonella henselae were 1:160 or more for IgM and 1:512 or more for IgG. This constellation of findings has been called Leber's idiopathic stellate neuroretinitis, according to a description by Theodor Leber in 1916. Modern serodiagnostic testing has shown that in many cases the findings are due to B. henselae, the gram-negative bacterium that causes cat scratch disease. The patient owned a cat but did not recall a specific scratch.
Pharmacologic treatment of optic neuritis due to B. henselae infection in immunocompetent hosts is of uncertain value; the symptoms can resolve spontaneously, and controlled studies are lacking. Nonetheless, our patient was treated with prednisone and azithromycin. Six months later, the lipid exudates in the macula had been reabsorbed, and normal vision (20/20 in the right eye and 20/25 in the left eye) had returned.

Posts: 1993 | From Charlotte, NC, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

1: Przegl Epidemiol. 2002;56 Suppl 1:85-90

[Ophthalmic manifestations in Lyme borreliosis]

[Article in Polish]

Zagorski Z, Biziorek B, Haszcz D.

Katedra i I Klinika Okulistyki Akademii Medycznej w Lublinie.

We reviewed ophthalmic manifestations in Lyme borreliosis, concentrating on clinical and laboratory diagnosis, differential diagnosis and treatment options. Ocular involvement may occur in every stage of the disease. Conjunctivitis and episcleritis are the most frequent manifestations of the early stage. Neuro-ophthalmic disorders and uveitis occur in the second stage whereas keratitis, chronic intraocular inflammation and orbital myositis have been reported in the third stage of borreliosis.

Publication Types:
* Review
* Review, Tutorial

PMID: 12194235 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

twoangie
Member # 1636

Hey there, I'm mixing it up a little, not all Lyme and not all neuritis but I thought it might be good to post for anyone lurking with an interest in vision problems associated with tick transmitted diseases.

1: J Fr Ophtalmol. 2004 Mar;27(3):285-90

[Cat-scratch disease neuroretinitis]

[Article in French]

Donnio A, Buestel C, Ventura E, Merle H.

Service d'Ophtalmologie, CHU, Hopital Pierre Zobda-Quitman, BP 632, 97261 Fort de France. [email protected]

We report a case of cat-scratch disease neuroretinitis for which systemic and ocular investigations proved the responsibility of Bartonella henselae. An 11-year-old boy was referred to the hospital in November 2002 for severe visual loss in the left eye over the preceding 2 weeks. At the same time, he also developed a flu-like illness. The best corrected acuity in the left eye was counting fingers at 30 cm. Posterior segment examination on the left eye showed an optic disk edema with papillary and peripapillary hemorrhages and serous retinal detachment, mild vitreous inflammation, and two little perivascular white spots. The medical history was unremarkable except for a cat scratch on his left forearm 2 months before. Four weeks of antibiotic therapy including oral rifampin and doxycycline was used. Bartonella henselae immunoglobulin M were first detected with Bartonella henselae immunoglobulin G testing negative at this time. A 3-week serum showed immunoglobulin M seroreversion, while Bartonella henselae immunoglobulin G appeared. Other causes of optic disk edema with macular star were excluded by biological data. Bartonella antibodies to both Bartonella henselae and Bartonella clarridgeiae were detected in the cat. Ophthalmic follow-up showed progressive resorption of the neuroretinitis and the visual acuity increased to 5/10. The significance of this case report lies in the reminder that this pathology can be the cause of neuroretinitis; the prognosis can be improved by earlier treatment.

PMID: 15039632 [PubMed - in process]

ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - there is a LL neuro-opthamologist in PA who would possibly be willing to speak w/ your doc regarding eye related lyme symptoms. I have the number if you'd like it.

We went there to see him and I was truly impressed. Please email if you'd like the info! [email protected]

Sherry

------------------

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is a possible symptom of Lyme. I have had this myself and have many bands on a Western blot Lyme test carried out by Dr B...I was bitten by a tick in 1989.

Optic neuritis is also a possible symptom of early onset MS...Lyme and MS are most likely the same thing. I had a 'probable MS' diagnosis before I saw a LLMD.

I am not sure but maybe Bartonella can cause eye involvement & I have this too.

Opthamologists are not trained in diagnosing Lyme eye problems much like the majority of the medical profession.

They often do say that MS patients get eye blurring in hot water (I used to before antibiotics)...which makes sense as we know how spirochetes hate the heat.

Emma

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CA quest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CA quest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is most definitely a documented symptom of Lyme (and its cousin syphilis), but can be a symptom of other things too. Good workups are always helpful to rule out the world....but if you have lyme...it is amazing what it can do.

Quest

Posts: 101 | From CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
editing to remove..posted twice by accident

[This message has been edited by suki444 (edited 18 February 2005).]

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement