LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » joint pain, severe fatigue and lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: joint pain, severe fatigue and lyme
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 5 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok...here's some questions....

It is my understanding that lyme can affect joints in various ways...jumping around, causing swelling and pain, and it can come and go, correct?

I'm wondering if what I have is lyme related...(I'm not totally sure I have lyme, but a lot of puzzle pieces are looking that way) My potential lyme "symptoms" started the fall of 2003.

For the joint question...last April, when I awoke in the morning, my shoulder was killing me...for no reason. It stayed like that for a month...now it only hurts if I over use it.

Last September, my hip started to hurt out of no where. Yes, I had been sitting on it for awhile, and I thought that was the cause. But, sitting for long periods of time doesn't always seem to cause pain. It seems to come and go.

Since I've read that lyme can affect joints, I've wondered if it could be causing my problems (or be part of the problem).

What do you think?

As far as severe fatigue goes...that seems to be the only possible "flu" symptom that perhaps indicates I have lyme. It happened first in Oct of 2003, then in January 2004, then again in March. It was a flu like fatigue, where you didn't want to move, and felt like you had melted into the bed...and lasted for 30 hours and then was gone...lyme maybe?

Thanks for your input....Tina

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tina yes joint pain jumps all around for seemingly no reason. You should go to Seeking a Doctor section and post for a LLMD.
or email me and if I have Doctors in your area Ill email them to you.

Heres a clip of DrB's symptom list. also read the links I posted for you.

RISK PROFILE (PLEASE CHECK)

Tick infested area ___ Frequent outdoor activities ___ Hiking ___ Fishing ___ Camping ___ Gardening ___
Hunting ___ Ticks noted on pets ___ Other household members with Lyme ___
Do you remember being bitten by a tick? No ___ Yes ___ when ________
Do you remember having the ``bull's eye rash?'' No ___ Yes ___
Any other rash? No ___ Yes ___

Have you had any of the following? CIRCLE ALL YES ANSWERS

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change (loss or gain -- circle one)
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands: list areas
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production; breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach or abdominal pain
Change in bowel function (constipation, diarrhea)
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling: list joints
Stiffness of the joints or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creaks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains, skin hypersensitivity
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
Increased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness, unavoidable need to sit or lie down
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory, poor attention, problem absorbing new information
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing; word or name block
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep -- too much, too little, fractionated, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol
WELCOME To LYMENET

Here's more goodys! A typical response to newcomers.

Hi and WELCOME! Get a LLMD or at least Dr that is willing to learn about lyme. Borrelia Burgdorferi is a clinical diagnosis, based on symptoms and on your response to treatment. Good Luck, bumpy road ahead.

Post for a LLMD in Seeking a Doctor. Ps remember I am not a Dr, just a fellow sufferer.
Conflicts in Lyme

How to Search Courtesy of Danq
TC LymeNet Links for New Members
TC 50 Questions

TC Warning To Posters

Lida Mattman

DISEASE INFO - COINFECTIONS

Newbie's Lingo

Lyme Disease Audio Network
Dr. Joseph J. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines
CDC Website on Lyme Disease
International Lyme and Associated Disease Society

Lyme Disease Symptoms
Rashes
Co-IinfectionsThanx M

Rose's 15 Facts for Newcomers
Making the Most of Your LLMD Visit
Camp A and Camp B, The Lyme Disease Contoversy
2nd Version Camp A Camp B

Why You Can't Trust Medical Journals Anymore
Something to share with friends and family members But You LOOK Good!

Labs
MDL
Igenex Labs
Q-RIBb
Western Blot Info
FDA It is important that clinicians understand the limitations of these tests

Explaining Borreliosis (Lyme) Western Blot Tests
Explanation of Western Blot Bands
Igenex Labs on the Western Blot
Melissa Kaplan's Lyme Website Explains Western Blot
Dr. C Explains Western Blot
( No you don't always see a bite and if there's no bullseye the only way your going to be able to tell is (symptoms) and (((Maybe))) WB or lyme dot blot 3 day urine banged with abx's to free your antigens up for the test. )
See this ( . )thats the size of the larva stage tick...
Next nymph size... ( * )
Next is adult ( o ) to ( 0 )
Pretty small????? HUH

Western Blot

Drug Interactions and Other Drug Info
Drug Digest
American Medical Women's Association Tiscali Reference Encyclopedia

Herxing
What Is a Herxheimer Reaction?
What Is Herxing?
The Herxheimer Reaction

Herxheimer Reaction Explained

Candidiasis

Quote Lida

Ilads

ZIPZIP Thanks

IntestinalFlora

Parasites
Put word Diarrhea in Search

Check Diet Link Atkins Diet

PORT-A-CATH (catherter)
Abx's Port

Prolotherapy

Sexually Transmitted ???
Transmitted Through Sex?
Sex Question-Serious-Adult Content
Video On Demand: Blood Supply May Be Source Of Lyme Disease Infections

Good Site Canadian Lyme Disease Association
FDA on Lyme Testing

InsuranceLaws
Legal Help
Legal Help
Legal Help
Legal Help
Legal Help

GreatSite
MedicalDictionary
Cheryl's Site

Wealth of Info

Good Article

USA Support

SupportGroups Canada

Canada SupportGroups

SupportGroups Australia

Marnies......... Ten Points Regarding Mg and Lyme Disease
In a Nutshell P1

In a Nutshell P2

Part1 Long over Due
Part2
Part3
Part4
Part5
Part6
Part7

Canlyme MAG

Help with Meds

Help! Free Meds

Vitamins you should Know

Tests Synonyms Guide

Lab Tests Looky

Blood Donor Info
Pain Info

Pregnancy
Pregnancy?
TC Link Pregnancy

Insurance SS Disability Help Minoucat Bunches of Goody's

How to apply Permethrin

Tick Testing

Herbs Be Careful
HerbsCancer Center
Duramater NeuroPsych Info Kids&Adults
Neurologic Lyme
Neurologic Lyme
Neurologic Lyme
Scans & How they Work

How Cat Scan Works

How PET Scan Works

How MRI Works

How XRAY Works

How UltraSound Works

Interested in what Trolls are?

Remember This
Rules

A copy of this is stored in computer Help section.

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 18 February 2005).]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amareo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amareo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tina....yeah, those definitely are lyme disease symptoms. They could be symptoms of other things as well. Have you ruled out a lot of other illnesses that could be causing this? If so I would definitely suggest finding an LLMD (lyme literate doctor) ...in fact...you might do that anyways because most llmd's will test you for anything else that could be causing your symptoms as well. Most LLMD's that I have met don't just "jump to lyme" so if you've got something else going on they should be able to find that too.

Your symptoms definitely sound lymie though. It's pretty common for lyme joint pain to move around. Monday your ankle hurts, tuesday your elbow hurts, wednesday your knee hurts, thursday BOTH your knees hurts, friday everything hurts....and sometimes everything will hurt non stop, or your joint pains will come to certain joints and just "hang out" there for very long periods of time.

Other COMMON symptoms of lyme/co-infections are:

severe fatigue
stiff neck
headache
muscle aches
"flu-like" symptoms
sensitivity to light and sound
fevers
loss of appetite
sweats
any rashes (not just the "bulls-eye")

So there ya go. Good luck with everything! I definitely think you should see and LLMD, especially with how long you've been having symptoms. In what state do you live, out of curiousity? I'm in Oregon..

------------------
Lishka

[This message has been edited by Amareo (edited 18 February 2005).]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for both of your posts...I appreciate them!

I have been in touch with a LLMD (apparently the only one in Arizona where I live). He thinks I have Lyme. Based on my symptoms and on the fact that band 34 on WB IgM was ++ (run by Igenex)

My other most bizzare symptom is burning sparking nerves all over my body that came on very suddenly.

I have had LOTS of tests done on me...all negative. I've been to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale and they didn't know what I have.

So....Lyme is looking more possible...

Thanks for your input....Tina

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tina, welcome to the board & to our lyme world.

Print and check off TREEPATROL's newbie links as there are months of reading here!

Print off Dr. Barrascano's treatment guidelines.

Have the western blot IGM & IGG blood tests done by Igenex or MD Labs. Read Tree's post for more details there.

IGX does not accept insurance but does medicare.

MD labs accepts most incurance & does medicare.

Betty G.

Mayo Clinic does NOT test ALL 16 PROTEIN BANDS for lyme; only 2 bands on one and 5 bands on other. That's what Minn. did last July on me!

Betty G.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Betty for your reply.

Mayo didn't even think about testing me for lyme. And I'm amazed that they test for so few bands when they do! What is up with that?

At some point, I hope to speak with the docs there who treated me...

Tina

NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timaca:
Thanks, Betty for your reply.

Mayo didn't even think about testing me for lyme. And I'm amazed that they test for so few bands when they do! What is up with that?

At some point, I hope to speak with the docs there who treated me...

Tina

Tina,
I had my son in Marshfield [WI] which is comparable to Mayo's. They were clueless about lyme as well.

Neither one could find "lyme" if you wrote it on their foreheads backwards, and stuck them in front of a mirror.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mayo is NOT testing for all strains; only 1 or few more!

Iowa has LONESTARI "STARI" strain; mayo does NOT test for that; only IGX & md labs do.

Betty G.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

So...the question is, why isn't Mayo testing for it more thoroughly?

If I have lyme (and I'm getting more and more certain that I do)...then I am going to go back to Mayo and discuss this problem with them.

Anyone else ever confronted them about this issue?

Tina

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement