LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Strange visual effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange visual effects
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at my friends house yesterday. He has some sponge painted walls I sat there looking at the walls and they started to wave like the ocean. This hasn't happened to me before (since experimental days in college I mean). Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, I think I fall under this category-I noticed it years ago, brought to my LLMD's attention, and he did nothing.

When I first noticed I was having visual "somethings", it was while I was looking at my horizontal striped shirt (black and white) --it was hanging to dry on a hanger, at my eye level. As I was looking at it, the stripes started to "wiggle".

It was disturbing. The stripes on the shirt were maybe only 1/4" wide. As time went on, I would "test" myself and look at other horizontally striped objects, and sure enough, whenever I would stare at something that had any type of stripe, small ones, I would get the wiggles. They would wave, sideways, like they were dancing.

Hard to describe, but as time goes on, it has not dissapated. I seemed to notice that light had something to do with this-if I were under fluroscent lights, like out in my husbands workshop garage, the effect was immediate. But only when I looked at something long enough, not like glancing at it while looking around.

Sorry can't be of more help-my opthamologist found nothing wrong with the heatlh of my eyes, and my optometrist has also found nothing. My MRI of my brain was normal, but that was years ago.

Hope if you find out what yours is, you'll post it here?
thanks,
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have experienced this too especially with stripes. I also have strange refraction of light. Lots of eye issues.

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, everybody doesn't have that sensation? I'm completely honest that I thought that was normal. That's what happens when you get Lyme at 12. You don't recognize symptoms as abnormal.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coyotecrazy
Member # 6707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyotecrazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On several occassions, I have had "heat waves" around the edges of my vision and have lost vision in 1/2 of my visual field, for several minutes. Before I was diagnosed with Lyme, the docs said it sounded like I was having optic/visual migraines. Scary the first few times, until I was sure I wasn't having a stroke.
Posts: 66 | From AL, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Coyotecrazy:
On several occassions, I have had "heat waves" around the edges of my vision and have lost vision in 1/2 of my visual field, for several minutes. Before I was diagnosed with Lyme, the docs said it sounded like I was having optic/visual migraines. Scary the first few times, until I was sure I wasn't having a stroke.

Coyote--I too have the "optic migraines" I was diagnosed by an opthalmolgist, too. That was way before my Lyme diagnosis. I get the same description of them, as you do.

I also know of many of my friends who get these optic migraines who do not have Lyme.

the other optic problem-the stripes doing the wiggly side to side dancing, is different. It is a constant for me, and has been going on for at least a year. My LLMD was told about it, and he did not address this. Didn't know what it was.

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive had that happen, and its freaky. Having eye issues with this whole thing is just terrible though. Have you been seen by an opthalmologist? Not that I would hold out hope that they would find anything either. Why is it that so many lymes patients have eye issues and yet many eye dr's can not find anything wrong??

Nancy

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had Classical Migraine with Aura since I was 16 years old. At first I would just get the aura (loss of periferal vision or jagged lines, or broken up field of vision) there are many variations. Then I started to have numbness in my face and hands, sometimes my mouth and throat. Then the pain in my head would start after this. I would average 4-8 of these a year depending on the year. I thought it was food additives and did manage to decrease the frequency for awhile. I moved to Groton, MA in 2000 and finally in November 2004 after moving to NC in March 2004 and getting extremely sick with basically every system in my body - and finally finding an LLMD I am starting to think maybe those migraines that started are definitely related. This issue is driving me crazy - my migraines are hereditary - there are 7 generations on my Father's side who have migraine - BUT if lyme can be handed down through the placenta - Maybe it could have been lyme all along. I will probably never know.

My eyes were tested after I asked that they be back when I was in Groton and having migraine all the time. All checked out fine. So strange...

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nal, I concur I have had about every test there is done and the dr can't find anything wrong. Strange disease, no wonder docs think Lymies are crazy, cause they can't find any tangible evidence to back up the symptoms. And it doesn't help that the testing is poor.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement