LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dental surgery and lyme disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dental surgery and lyme disease
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

I have a question here.....and it may take awhile to ask this question completely, so please bear with me, and try to read thru the whole posting...it's kinda complex.

As a child, my parent had to make the choice between orthognathic surgery( for an under-devolped lower jaw) and braces.

Or just braces....since my jawline was not that bad....at the time

Parents chose the least envasive of the two, which was braces alone, and for about 18 yrs--everything looked and felt fine---teeth were picture perfect, and I have never had any sort of TMJ pain

I wore braces as a kid.... had 4 teeth removed at the time-permanent adult teeth, wisedom teeth have never come up above the surface of the jawline.....they are there, but are very small( just 3, not 4) and I have no pain what so ever.

In my late twenties....I started to get some slight popping in my jaw when eating, but once again, no pain problems. Top teeth started to become somwhat *buck* .

So we used an expander on the top jaw, and went though orthodontics once again

And, YES, I always wore my retainers!!

Once again everything was perfect....always had people ask me if my teeth were *real*

And now that I am quite close to being fossilized(justified and ancient)....something more needs to be done here with the good teeth and jaw bone

This is were it gets complex

I still have the impacted wisedom teeth that have NEVER been a problem.....so NO ONE wants to remove them.....with all that I have read here on Lymenet.....that may not be bad advice!

But every dentist/ orthodontist/maxifasial surgeon I have been to since the good ole' days of perfect teeth as been telling me that I NEED this jaw surgery for the underdeveloped lower jaw, that this can no longer be fixed though orthodontic means without the correct surgicial procedue being done in conjuction with the braces.

ORTHONGNATHIC SURGERY IS TOUGH SURGERY--it's where they literally extend your jaw using screws or other such impliments to get the jaw to grow new bone to lenghten the jawline

Everybody probaly knows someone who has had this surgery...if it is needed, it is done quite young now.You all know the high-school kid with the jaw wired shut for 6 wks due to surgery, don't you?

That's what I am being told needs to be done to me

Right, with lyme disease---seems like those little buggers would burrow what into the bone while it was healing and create havoc!!!!!

I'm lucky, I don't have any of the dental issues talked about with borrelia....believe it or not, I have had only one cavity in my long life---nothing esle. The 4 teeth removed with the braces in childhood--but other teeth were moved into the spaces of those extracted teeth.

With regards to the jaw surgery----I have seen 6 doctors....in different states that told me if I did not eventally get this surgery done, two things would happen.

I will develop some nasty arthitis in the jaw--I already have some limitation on movement--but no pain-yet.

My facial profile will change( not for the better!)....and it could effect my sinuses( already has!!)

I will start having much more pain--hasn't happened yet

And I'm not getting any younger(darn) and the older you are...the tougher time it is to heal

So I've been waiting to get rid of the lyme.....and I'm MUCH better than when I started out with this diseae

But surgery seems chancey right now---but if I don't fix this somehow....I could end up waiting till I am much older, and not be able to handle the surgery.

Has anyone heard of alternative ways to handle this type of problem???

Some new, introvative why to deal with this without doing surgery??

You guys are *up* on the lastest in dentistry, do tell if you know anything.....or can point me in a direction where I can find out more information!!!

Or have stories to share,

Or tales from the front.

Thank you in advance!!!!!!

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paisley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paisley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear yankee,

i'm very sorry to hear of your dental hardships. I don't have any advice though. I've had plenty of dental problems, but not along your issues.

Just wanted you to know that I did read all of your post and I wish you the best going forward with this difficult decision. my heartfelt best wishes for good health and recovery

regards
paisley

Posts: 298 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ivebeentricked
Member # 6944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebeentricked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I recently had some oral surgery and I swear to God it almost killed me...I think because I have lyme I never fully recovered...my advice is wait till you are strong to have any surgery.

If anyone else sees this post and has had cavitation surgeries or other dental problems, please email me and let me know so I can write back and share my experiences, I am dying to talk to a few ppl who have had a similar experience...thanks everyone

Posts: 99 | From California | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) never have any elective surgery during a lyme crisis, period.
2) orthognathic surgery is a cosmetic surgery qualifing it as elective.it is a super major procedures that people can even die from if the artery is severed. i am a dentist for23 years and would not recommend the surgery for anybody usless you are extreme class c3 with lower jaw 10 mm or more in front of lower jaw. many times this procedure is also associated with under maxillary surgery to bring the bones og the face out.THIS IS MAJOR MAJOR SURGERY AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND WITHOUT SYMPTOMS MANY SYMPTOMS.
they must remove your lower wisdom teeth during this procedure, it can not be done without removal as it is an open source of infection.
my suggestion is if it ain't broke and doesn't hurt don't fix it.
this is an extremely difficult recover for normal immune system.very very high risk with immune deficient body.if you need any more questions answered email [email protected]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - Its hard to say b/c I never had that type of surgery, but I did have all4 wisdom teeth and the tooth next to it out last year..I did fine...no problems at all...

About 4 years ago when I was at my worst with Lyme..I mean barely walking, I had appendicitis and had to have emergency surgery.... I actually came through that fine as well....a little set back, but all in all it went ok.

So its hard to tell.... I have needed some other "elective" type surgeries in the past 2 years that I have renegged on....

I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons...

One thing that helped me through my surgeries was keeping well hydrated...IV fluids etc...

Good Luck with your decision.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks DocDave and all others who posted!

I have not pursued this farther since having the DX come in of an immune deficientcy-CVID, so I am to believe no one would touch me with a ten foot pole these days.....plus I run fevers...which is another *no-no* with any type of surgery!

I would just like them to straighten it out through orthodontics and bit splints ....worked before( for 20 yrs--not bad in my opinion), will most likely work again

Yes, I will have to pay for it, but that's life in the big city!!

I'm going to head back into the orthdontists office and tell him about the CVID--he had felt that he could correct them without the surgery.......but wanted to guarantee permantecy this time, so had suggested the surgery.

There are no guarantees in life, on teeth or otherwise....so I will just go back into the braces....it's not uncommon now at days to see people needing them more than once in a lifetime

Maybe threes' the charm

And if my profile suffers due to the underdeveloped jaw( usually all that means is a slightly double chin) it would seem much safer to have that taken care of than going thru Major surgery

I justed wanted to throw out the fishing line and see if anyone was familiar with this in LymeLand

Thanks, DocDave for your good advice--I will be e-mailing you with just one or two quick questions.

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the way to keep the orthodontics as long as possible is after treatemtn to have the teeth literally bonded to each other. they now make a fiberglass mesh that can bond your teeth together 14 teeth will not move if bonded together plus you don't have to wear retainers.
you might be able to be a candidate for invisalign braces which are not bonded to your teeth but a set of computer generated retainers for 2 years that are removable and change every 2-3 months until the teeth are straight.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement