LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Are any of you now taking or have you taken VERY high dose Doxycycline?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are any of you now taking or have you taken VERY high dose Doxycycline?
Coyotecrazy
Member # 6707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyotecrazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just started taking 800mg of (oral) Doxy a day. I have Herxed each time that the dose has been increased so I know that it keeps killing more bugs. I take a really good, refrigerated probiotic and have had no serious side effects ( I do have to be very careful of getting in the sun ). My doc is uncomfortable with this high dose but I 'begged' and he agreed to let me try going up again, for 1 month, with my promise that at the first sign of any real side effects that I would back off immediately. I'd like to know if any of you have taken this much oral Doxy before and if you know of ANY Protocol that mentions this high dose so that I can somewhat allay my doctors concerns. I will truly appreciate any responses.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Posts: 66 | From AL, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I am on Doxy, and have researched it a lot.
I have never heard anyone go that high a dosage, but maybe others have.

Not sure if you have done Minocycline, but some say it has better tissue penatration and stronger then Doxy, so maybe this is better for you, the mino and therefore you would not have to go so high dose with the Doxy.

I can see how your Dr would be uncomfortable with this dosage, I have heard it is not the best drug to be on long term, not sure if you are on it long term.
I read on here some have stayed on it long term though, say about one year.
I was told that Doxy and mino can sometimes cause a permanent purple skin discolouration taken long term. I heard this from one of my Dr's. I looked this up on the net and did find that some sites said this can happen.

I have been on it for about 5 months, the Doxy, and am on 300mgs a day, any higher and would be dead after a couple of weeks, too much herxing. I have had lyme about 16 years or so, so I have to go slow with the antibiotics most times.

It will be interesting to see if others have heard this dosage you are doing. I read Dr B's guidlines and he uses the high dose as 600 mgs.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coyotecrazy
Member # 6707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyotecrazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your quick reply.
I was only diagnosed with Lyme in November, 2004, so I've only been on abx for 3 months. I started out taking 500 Zithromax and 400 doxy. I can definitely tell a difference - my symptoms are getting better. I don't get nearly as dizzy and haven't had the 'confused' feeling in about a month. My Dr. knew about Burrascano's guidelines going up to 600 mg, but just got jittery when I wanted to go up higher. I just want to see if it will help even more. I haven't tried Mino; I haven't even asked about it because I don't know anything about why it might be better than Doxy. As I said, I'm just learning about all of this. THANKS !!!! I hope to hear from some others too.

Posts: 66 | From AL, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, Doxy should be dosed by body weight (5mg/Kg of body weight) which is about 300 mg for a 125 lb person.

I know most Docs don't do this, and I really do not understand why not.

There's a fine line between efficacy and toxicity, and I realize we walk that line.. but doses that are extremely high will leave collateral damage in the body...(ask your liver/kidney and biliary system - which has to metabolize those drugs).

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coyotecrazy
Member # 6707

Thanks bpeck.

My doc is adamant about doing monthly blood tests, to make sure that no damage is being done to liver/kidneys/biliary.

I have seen one article from a LLMD that says that doxy, at doses of 300-700mg do cross the blood-brain barrier, I'd like to find others that talk about doses that high.

I think I may metabolize the doxy faster than most and maybe that's why it's taking so much to make the difference in my symptoms. We're being careful. I bought a really 'cool' hat today, since I work outside about 1/2 of the time and I use
spf 45 sunblock on any exposed skin.

Thanks for any other info. on published protocols or any info. on docs that have gone this high!

Coyote

bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coyote, here is my favorite site on meds/illnesses; here's on doxycycline...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682063.html

Coyote, please edit your original post to 6-8 lines of text only. For us late stage lymies, we need to break things up a lot so we can comprehend. Thanks for helping us all out.

Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 6 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on 800mg a day...

I herxed like mad for a while and then nothing...

I always got the feeling the doxy couldn't reach my brain..

Is it suppose to cross the bbb? I donno...

daniella

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 7 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dosage is 100 mg of doxy for every 50 pds of body weight. This is what we have been told. Doxy also gets rid of HME and HGE. Make sure you take the pro-biotics also.
Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have been told that Doxy is hard on the body, the liver and kidneys, so this high dosage may not be a good idea.

I would def make sure you know what you are doing... because if you damage your organs early, HOW will you do the long term antibiotics, which in your case may be 6 months to one year only?

Ask your MD to call Dr B perhaps and see what he says. There may be a good reason why he does not go or say higher then 800mgs.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Coyotecrazy:

My doc is adamant about doing monthly blood tests, to make sure that no damage is being done to liver/kidneys/biliary.

Welcome Coyote! I would be hesitant to take that much doxy. Sure, the frequent blood work should keep you safe, but it IS possible that damage could be done that can't be undone.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for Coyote
Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coyotecrazy
Member # 6707

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Coyotecrazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your responses. I feel sure that my doc won't agree to letting me go above the 800 mg that I just started taking. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of ANY medical 'protocols' for taking 800 mg of oral doxy. I won't ask him to go up again, I sure don't want to put my doc in a position of getting slammed for helping me. The oral doxy is doing WONDERS for my symptoms of dizziness and fatigue !!

Bettyg - I'm not particularly computer literate so I haven't a clue how to "edit" my original question. I do well just to post and reply LOL

Coyotecrazy
Member # 6707

Up ?
Coyotecrazy
Member # 6707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Coyotecrazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Joe. I get it now, duhhhhhhhh !!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement