LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Have you had any trouble getting insurance to pay? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Have you had any trouble getting insurance to pay?
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so far so good...but it took some work
LLMd's office contacted a non profit mediation co that worked btn dr's orders and got insurance approval and waiver...

e.g.- insurance requires 3 days in pateint hospitalization prior to home nursing care and home infusion therapy...got that waived.

I still have to constantly check up on all forms to make sure ins co pays as stated..

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShelleyA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShelleyA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes..........depending on the insurance ....some policies require that we only use their labs and doctors........so that doesn't covered Bowen or Igenex or Smokey Mountain labs or anything else fancy.
At the moment I can have 3 EKG's in my lifetime.......duh.........I have prolaped valves and am hypotensive......and so it goes.

Posts: 575 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

no problems yet--but we are only taking one abx a month so we can continue to work and so we can stay under the radar of the insurance companies. We just changed insurance but I understand people on BCBS (my insurance before I got layed off last year--is reallly hitting their people hard and fast. If we had more confidence in the insurance we would take more medicine--but we are in diar straits and must keep our jobs or risk losing the house.

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mowanda
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi really knew to this so not sure I will be too helpful. We are military which automatically covers everything provided you work within there system. I have a more limited selection of doctors and the procedures they will try. I'm not sure to what extent this will limit me with treatment, I will find out more tommorow as I talk to one doc about finding the best availbe doct to treat. I think with enough justification they will provide and cover for most procedures. The biggest challenge will be to find the right doc willing to try in a time period acceptable for treatment.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IBelieve
Member # 6834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IBelieve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problems at all. Both IV and oral antibiotics.
Posts: 48 | From New Hampshrie | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO

Pays to be old and on Medicare.......

[This message has been edited by nan (edited 08 March 2005).]

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ms. Myoclonus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Myoclonus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no problems yet, but have not been on IV
Posts: 122 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but still waiting to find out if my alternative Ins will cover it.

(Husband is a 100% disabled veteran, so we have VAChamp, LLMD submitted it, so still waiting to find out).

I don't know if that was any help or not???

-laserred-

Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, so far they paid for my daughter's test and antibiotics.
Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbroderick
Member # 5220

Icon 7 posted      Profile for mbroderick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jordan has been under treatment since January of 2004 and has been on constant oral antibiotics on some sort or another since then. All antibiotics and other Lyme-related prescriptions have been paid for (aside from my copay) through Blue Cross. This may be the only perk of teaching in a public high school!

Marian

[This message has been edited by mbroderick (edited 08 March 2005).]

Posts: 2097 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STOP...

Will post results as soon as I get a chance.

THANKS!

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, with paying all of physical therapy.

No problem on other expenses or drugs.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TinaAStPierre
Member # 7120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TinaAStPierre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO (YEAH ROHDE ISLAND!!!)
Posts: 8 | From Middletown, RI 02842 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine24
Member # 6867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have kaiser and they wont even believe i have lyme. let alone pay for any outside tests, doc visits and meds.
Posts: 15 | From ca | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have discovered the hard way that, too often, ...'insurance'.... corpanies are crooks. They don't pay, then the hospitals sic ..'credit agencies'... on you and you are screwed.
Hopefully, I will be able to sue, but so far the scumbags apparently think I won't get it together to do so. We'll see.
DS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like sunshine24, I too, have HMO Kaiser. They never diagnosis lyme, so never treat.
Have had to pay ALL treatments out of pocket. They refuse to consider Igenex's lab results.

Posts: 108 | From CA usa | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far so good. Have only been in treatment for two months. I have Blue Cross PPO and my LLMD is a Blue Cross provider. Also I'm on orals only so far, so haven't heard any flak from Blue Cross. My LLMD does tell me they'll only authorize ONE month of IV treatment so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Michelle M

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, for out of state labs
Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no2lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no2lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duh - I have lyme disease - of course I have had trouble. Blue Shield PPO only the worst of the worst.

6 pills at time - still fighting appeals for 18 months of IV, once the covered bicillin I had been on it 10 months and finished its course.

Oh the irony of insurance.

Posts: 152 | From On Horseback | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No for hubby. He filed so many out of network claims the insurance company gave him his own personal claims processor. He is on the 3rd one now -- one he probably got fired and one was promoted. He also made a friend in the appeals dept. which has been a big help.

We have learned to call any new lab or doctor before tests or appointments and ask for info regarding codes etc. Hubby calls insurance with info and finds out what bottom line cost of test or office visit is beforehand. He sends tons of documentation to his designated claims processor and calls and harasses them if things don't get processed like we think they should be.

Of course the out of pocket costs are prohibitive (mostly paid at 70 % of reasonable and customary). We pretty much gave up on in network doctors although we try to use in network labs and hospitals for tests and procedures.

Most prescription nutritional supplements are not covered and annual prescription cap is $5000 which is not high enough even without IV antibiotics.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digirl02
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for digirl02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
insurance pays about 1/16th of what i put out in cash and i am now broke
Posts: 121 | From Gaithersburg, MD USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cawpo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cawpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes

Cheryl

Posts: 109 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes
Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lishs mom
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kira:
[B]Initially there was an issue with IV abx till LLMD brought up the positive PCR...no problems since then...

B]

Kira, what ins. company are you with, mind if i ask?

Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, definitely.
Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tykee
Member # 2285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tykee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BCBS of South Carolina refuses to pay for PCR
because it is "considered investigational"! To me a urine test is "investigational" I went to my llmd, "donated" my blood in November. I am still fighting BCBS of SC to pay the $1200 I am being billed.

NEW question: IF we refuse testing sre we going AMA (against medical advice)??????

Great question! Thanks, Tykee

Posts: 89 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement