LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How Do You Remove Parasites From Vegies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Do You Remove Parasites From Vegies?
Ticktoxic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticktoxic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the best way to wash vegetables and fruits to make sure that they are free from parasites and pesticides?

I buy organic produce, but lettuce and other fresh vegies can still have microscopic protozoa parasites on them, and that's what babesia is, a protozoa. I wouldn't want to get reinfected if I ever do get rid of it.

I heard that soaking lettuce in water that has 10 drops per gal of grapefruit seed extract will do the job. Is there a better method?

Posts: 134 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 3 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you can get Babesia from veggies as it is passed through blood. Protezoa is kind of a broad category, kind of like 'reptile' or 'amphibian', so takes in quite a few different organisms. There are lots of kinds of protezoas.

Contaminated veggies can make you real sick with other things, mostly intestinal in nature. Even hepatitis A if the organic nutrients include a little sewage.

This sort of thing is common in some other countries such as Mexico.

You'll love this: People in areas with amoebas, protezoas, etc. contaminating their veggies routinely wash them in dilute bleach water before preparing them.

Things such as lettuce are difficult to wash, so often are just avoided. I know people in Mexico who simply do not eat ANY fruits or vegetables because they are afraid they will get sick if they do. (Not exactly a healthy diet either, is it?)

Chlorine flavored veggies do not sound real appetizing, but I guess amoebic dysentery isn't real appealing either.

So, with that perspective...

The veggies we get in the US should be pretty safe if you just rinse them with clean water... and enjoy.

...Unless they come from your neighbor's organic garden and he recycles his septic tank discharge. In that case Babesia will be the least of your worris!

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticktoxic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticktoxic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,

Even fresh organic produce can have many different types of microscopic parasites on them, including protozoans. Salad bars at restaurants can be a real problem also, as you don't know what kind of cleaning measures were taken, other than a quick rinse.

I think that the grapefruit seed extract is probably the best bet. I just wanted to get other peoples opinios/methods. I have also heard of using a diluted bleach soution, but I don't really want to have to so that.

I have also heard of using a hydrogen peroxide mixture,and letting them soak for a while.

If people are eating a lot of salads and other produce, they could just be reinfecting themselves if they are not taking the right precautions.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use "Veggie Wash" from the grocery store.

There's an 800 number on the bottle....

1-800-451-7096

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pomegranite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pomegranite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grapefruit seed extract ---YES YES Yes!

bleach NO NO NO---do you want chemical poisoning and/or cancer on top of lyme?? Chlorinated compounds bad bad bad.

Not eat vegies in the U.S.??? ....sounds not very smart to me. Most healthy diet, which is a key to getting well, includes whole fresh organic foods including lots of vegetables.

Certified organic vegetables do not have fecal matter as part of fertilizer. Corporations tried to make that acceptable under the organic standards act---but incredibly high consumer backlash and public comment and strong advocacy groups were able to stop that.

Be healthy---Eat your vegetables!
Pomegranite

Posts: 309 | From CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope nobody took clorox rinses and avoiding veggies altogether as a SUGGESTION. I was just telling how bad the problem is in some countries.

Depending on what you are fixing for dinner, acid things such as a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice, and various flavors of vinegar kill most things and can be quite tasty.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I purchased a vegie wash from Hallelujah Acres I think.

I have had it a long time and am almost out.

I did see a veggie wash at Trader Joe's recently.

The wash I am currently using is user friendly. It comes in a spray bottle.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KBear
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered about this myself. I always worry something I bought has been dropped on the floor in the store, YUK.
I didn't know they had products you could buy to clean veggies. I did a search on Google for "veggie wash" and a ton of places came up where you can order some. I'm definitely getting some!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put two trigger spray bottles by the sink: one 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide and one vinegar. Spray both on the veg and toss.

It should "sterilize". But careful to not get yourself esp if have a cut (it stings).

nm

Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KBear
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nm, where do you get food grade hydrogen peroxide?
Flyinpiker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flyinpiker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 101 | From Living in the Now | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karensky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karensky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 Tbsp of salt in a sink of water...swish around the veges or

unpeeled fruits to remove any debris...doesn't necessarily kill

bugs but does clean otherwise...buy organic only grown in the

US...organic from anywhere else is not subject to the USDA

regulations...ie: I would never buy organic from Mexico...might

as well buy regular produce cheaper...no guarantee at all what

"organic" means to them when contaminated water and human

waste composting is used regularly for fertilizer...ditto for Asian

farm grown products...they are notorious for growing foods

using human waste as a composted fertilizer...God knows what

is in the final product ! The grapefruit seed extract sounds good

to me if you have concerns...what is in the vege wash formula

BTW ? I personally, would not want to ingest chlorine or

hydrogen peroxide myself...

The flip side of this discussion is how doctors have said that we

have become such a sterile nation over the last years of ABX use

and sanitizing products that we have set ourselves up to be

more sensitive to bugs and last I heard, some recommend letting

children play in the dirt in order to strengthen their immunity !

PS...I am not biased culturally or racially in any way...just don't

believe that all agricultural practices of other countries are as

"clean" as they should be...nor subject to the same regulations

we have in this country...

--------------------
"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues , but the parent of all others "....Cicero

Posts: 254 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mix the following in a sterile 1-quart bottle or bowl:

15 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract (Nutribiotic GSE, Allergy Research Paramycocidin, Paracan 144, Agrisept)
4 oz. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (normal supermarket/drug store brand)

1 teaspoon Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer/other equiv. brand)

enough clean water (purified/filtered) to fill the rest of the quart.

Soak fruit or vegetables for 15 minutes in a fresh batch of the wash mix (prepair a fresh batch of the mix daily or each time it is needed), then rinse thoroughly 3+ times in clean water - rinsing in water prevents bitter flavor from the wash mix. Recipe may be multiplied by the number of quarts desired if a larger amount of mix is needed.

Note: This fresh fruit and vegetable wash mix is provided for educational purposed only. Although the mix is designed to cleanse fresh produce from mold, bacteria and other contaminants, there is no guarantee that all types of bacteria, mold or contaminants will be cleansed from fresh fruits or vegetables by this specific recipe. Therefore, anyone who uses this recipe accepts full responsibility for any and all consequences of using this recipe.

Also, I do not know of any safe food wash mix that can remove pesticides that directly bind to the fiber in the veggies & fruits. Your best bet if you are concerned about pesticides is to purchase a juicer that uses a hydrolic press to squeeze the juice out of the fruits & veggies, and just drink the juice. Unfortunately, then you don't get the benefits of the fiber from the fruits & veggies. So second best option is to purchase only organic fruits & veggies, and use some kind of food wash mix (the above, or the other suggestions on this thread - but do NOT use the bleach mix!!).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of process have frozen vegetables been through? I often buy them because the fresh stuff always goes bad on me before I can use them all.

I know the frozen aren't as nutritious, but more economical for us.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have to at least have been blanched (heated briefly) to preserve optimum color and flavor. Also, the steam/water that is used to blanche them is sometimes preserved with sulfites to protect the equipment (but this info is not listed on the label of the product). I do not know if the veggies are washed thoroughly or not. I have found dead worms in frozen veggies (broccoli worms, for example), and also in canned veggies (tomato worms).

I would think the heating and freezing processes that frozen veggies are subjected to would likely destroy most, if not all, of the infectious organisms present.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Buhner in his book Herbal Antibiotics, GSE is used to sterilize hospital equipment.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement