LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How do you know if it is late lyme or early lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you know if it is late lyme or early lyme?
threefries
Member # 6959

Icon 5 posted      Profile for threefries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My symptoms are:

tingling (brief)
muscle (bone?) pain everywhere
shoulder and neck pain
lightheadedness (brief)
possible heart arythmia
tics and muscles twitches (small)
some brain fog (again, brief)

I don't know when I could have recently been infected. I live in Georgia.

However, I used to live in Wisconsin - and camp there every summer.

Any one the difference?

PS I know I ask too many Q's

Posts: 50 | From Sugar Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early lyme, Threefries.

You're not even old enough to be late stage.

Wisconsin uh ? I live near Wausau.

Whereabouts did you vacation ?

Wisconsin is loaded with ticks, top ten for sure.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by threefries:

It's healthy! Besides, we're all "bonding!"

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Recipegirl05
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6729

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Recipegirl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Threefries,

Camping in Wisconsin?

That should tell your doctor everything.

Others will visit with more expert advice than me, but I've read that some have neuro symptoms early on. It depends on so many variables like patient immunity, whether the tick was carrying other infections, such as Babesia, Bartonella & Erlichiosis and other factors.

Babesia and Bartonella can both cause neuro problems, along with the Lyme bacteria.

For some, it seems to go to the weakest areas of our body; or, where there's been an old injury.

Hope this helps a little.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 222 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threefries
Member # 6959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for threefries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the Dells. I'm not even sure where that is. i was so little

so, it's not likely I've had this for years?

I mean, I haven't been camping there for several years, so....

Posts: 50 | From Sugar Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I went to the Dells. I'm not even sure where that is. i was so little

so, it's not likely I've had this for years?

I mean, I haven't been camping there for several years, so....

The Dells is a kid's paradise. Great time, but watch the wallet.
Your symptoms are almost identical to my son's and he was infected last Aug/Sept.

When did your symptoms first manifest ?

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There really is no easy way to tell. I know mine is late stage because I had a bug bite with a typical rash when I was 12. But, it took about 18 months for any other symptom to arise. Then it was kind of in remission for many years.

If you put together a chronological medical history, it may help you pinpoint a potential infection point. You may have been sick with a sign of infection, or had a bad flu with really bad muscle aches. Or there was maybe a time when you just seemed under the weather for a few months.

I'd recommend working with your mother on it, since she'll remember things from your childhood that you won't. You could probably get medical records from your pediatrician too. The history is also a good thing to bring with you to doctors.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, buy the NEW 8-04 publication from the LDA:

LYME DISEASE UPDATE: Science, Policy, and Regulations

It's paperbook either $12 or $15 includes postage. You will learn so much in there.

It answers the early/late stage, and written in user friendly language.

The new children's lyme book, ages 8-12, was good too, and I learned a few things the LD UPDATE did not have in it. $6 includes postage ... both on LDA site, and perhaps shown on this site. I haven't checked.

Betty G.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My symptoms are:

tingling (brief)
muscle (bone?) pain everywhere
shoulder and neck pain
lightheadedness (brief)
possible heart arythmia
tics and muscles twitches (small)
some brain fog (again, brief)

I don't know when I could have recently been infected. I live in Georgia.

However, I used to live in Wisconsin - and camp there every summer.

Any one the difference?

All of the heart arythmia and some of the muscle pain may well go away if you start taking a little Magnesium. Mg is a critical electrolyte, and the Borrelia seem to deplete it. I started to get heart rhythm problems that were scaring me (might it just STOP??) and the Mg fixed it.

You might have to go to a good vitamin store to find the Magnesium Citrate or Maleate forms, but even then it shouldn't be very expensive.

Mg is so important to Lymies and we can get so depleted that sometimes it is given in the form of a big injection in the buttock if they can't get the levels up enough orally for some reason. (I say this just to emphasize its importance.) Muscles and nerves cannot work right without it... including the heart.

Not to suggest taking massive doses... just a small amount according to label directions is probably sufficient and is harmless if you don't need it.

Get some of the sublingual B vitamin drops at Walgreens and try them. You might find they help some of the neuro symptoms and the fog and tiredness. The B12 is very hard to absorb orally, and taking antibiotics makes that worse. That is why some of us get it in shots if it helps. (They are small and painless.)

Note this from Tincup's post about diagnosing MS:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/032150.html

It is critical to exclude other diseases that can mimic multiple sclerosis, including vascular disease, spinal cord compression, vitamin B12 deficiency, central nervous system infection (e.g., Lyme disease, syphilis), and other inflammatory conditions

There are Lyme and probably Babesia and 2 strains of Malaria clear across the South too. We are pretty sure we got ours locally in Texas.

It may be the STARI strain though, which is less apt to be picked up by the poorly designed Lyme tests that are only sensitive to strains from the Northeast.

[This message has been edited by James H (edited 05 March 2005).]

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is some information on the strain of Borrelia one is likey to get living in the South... Borrelia lonestari or "STARI".
http://www.texaslyme.org/stari.html

This short article is a good one to print out and use to explain the situation to family and friends as it covers alot in plain English in a few words, and mentions urban and suburban settings and Georgia specifically.

You will find the very symptoms you list, as well as common misdiagnosis as MS, and difficulty getting poorly designed tests to pick up this strain.

This is a good one to print out and use like a handout when you need it.

Early or late? It is hard to know unless you remember a bite. It can progress so slowly for many years, or even stay dormant.

From what you describe I would expect you to see improvement fairly soon with treatment. Your symptoms and their severity sound kind of similar to ours.

My wife and I have seen alot of improvement already, and we are just on oral Minocycline and a few basic nutritionals. Her feet and sometimes her hip had burning pain all the time for 2 years, and she thought she was developing arthritis.

Her "arthritis" is GONE already as are my headaches.

You will get feeling better too.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement