LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » insurance trouble ahead?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: insurance trouble ahead?
threefries
Member # 6959

Icon 5 posted      Profile for threefries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Kaiser Permanente - if anyone knows that insurance.

I am having an MRI done tomorrow. If it comes back showing lesions, it is likely that they will attempt to diagnose me with MS.

(after all, it is the MS center of atlanta)

If this happens, how do I get the insurance to agree for me to see the LLMD in NC??

Posts: 50 | From Sugar Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey three..

Kinda late.. but I will throw some thoughts at ya...

OK?

May I ask.. is there a reason you are having an MRI before seeing a LLMD?

Will that be setting yourself up for problems?

I also have no clue how to make an insurance company do anything.

Unfortunately they tend to do as they darn well please.. and don't allow much input.. only dictating what folks can and can't do concerning their health care.

Anyhow..

If you show any lesions... just show them the Lyme literature where it documents the same type lesions.

Put everything in writing also.

Hope it goes well for you!

------------------
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance...

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is possibly a little late too as you are possibly already on your way to your MRI appointment.

Regarding expressing your preferences for your medical care to this Neurologist...

Don't feel that you need to have a big confrontation with him in order to get what you need. Sometimes that is necessary, but usually it just makes an enemy.

You are more likely to get results with a polite well rehearsed single sentence like: "I would like to have the possiblity of Lyme Disease checked out thoroughly by someone specializing in that area FIRST, before pursuing MS furthur."

Chances are he will jump at the opportunity to hand you off to someone else, relieving him of responsibility for the present. He just needs to get your case from his inbox to his outbox. Unless he is under pressure to generate more wheelchair sales he won't mind. Just be polite and smile and thank him for his kind assistance.

If you are able getout 2 sentences you could say: "If this is Lyme I would like to know about it right away, while it is still soon enough to treat it with oral antibiotics."

The economic argument carries alot of weight with the HMO guys.

If you get that far...

As far as printed info to back up your request, this one on STARI, the Southern strain of Lyme would be excellent as it covers all the points pertenant to you in a few paragraphs.
http://www.texaslyme.org/stari.html

Print it and take a yellow highlighter to the words and phrases "Georgia", mention of any symptoms you have, the mention that it is not detected by tests designed for Northeast US Strains... and the mention about frequently misdiagnosed as MS.

Doctors have real short attention spans so a couple of highlighted words may be all you can get him to look at.

If you can't muster the courage for that much... Just try to blurt out 'I WANT TO CHECK OUT LYME BEFORE YOU DIAGNOSE ME WITH MS!'

Once you are past today maybe someone here has experience getting what you need from Kaiser. My guess is you want to go through your GP from here for a referral if you need to have one.

We hope it goes well!

[This message has been edited by James H (edited 07 March 2005).]

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be interested in the symptoms file at:
http://www.lymeinfo.net/lymefiles.html

See around page 25 in particular.

Posts: 1547 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lishs mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaiser will do ANYTHING to prevent diagnosis or treatment of lyme disease period. Its economics and its difficult to win a case with them

If they tell you you have MS, or ichsemic disease take your MRI's out with you and RUN , RUN FAST, to an independent Lyme literate neurologist. It is possible that you do indeed have MS, but the question is what is the underlying issue. Early lyme will not show any lesions, late lyme may appear as MS, persistant lyme may be one of several causes of MS, in some cases proves to be reversable too.

Did you already use the L word with your Kaiser physician. If so, you will go through every test possible to prove you dont have lyme, and any tests that come back positive for lyme will probably be "false" including CDC positive cases.

Do not count on Kaiser to give up their well deserved $$ to make you feel better~!

If you want I can get you in touch with the Kaiser Papers king...let me know.

Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement