LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » herxing or overdoing it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: herxing or overdoing it?
LymeinME
Member # 6849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeinME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I've been on the IV Rocephin (2 weeks), I've been getting really achy and tired at night. And feel pretty good in the morning. I'm sleeping 15 hrs/day on the weekends.

Is it possible that I am herxing in the evenings only? Or is it just that I'm trying to do too much. (I am working 7 hrs/day 4 days/wk at work and unfortunately trying to get 5 days worth of work done in 4)

Posts: 55 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IBelieve
Member # 6834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IBelieve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on IV Rocephin and I didn't get achy, but I was very tired. Just don't overdo it. You need to get your rest. I suppose it could be herxing.
Others will be able to help you more.

Posts: 48 | From New Hampshrie | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monkeyshines
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeyshines     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When do you do your infusion?

After a while on rocephin, I noticed a pattern of feeling somewhat better in the a.m., and then back to bad again starting mid afternoon and into the evening.

I did my infusions at night (about 8 pm) and my LLMD thought maybe I 'processed' rocephin quickly and any daily benefits wore off as the day wore on.

I think it's more my natural biorythms, combined with my being pig-headed and working too much. Which I don't recommend!!

I'm off the IV for now, but I still notice a big difference M-F. I'm much more tired and in much more pain later in the day when I work (which makes sense). I sleep a lot on weekends and don't notice as much of a good/morning bad/evening pattern, but it's still there.

monkeyshines

Posts: 343 | From Northern VA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeinME
Member # 6849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeinME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do it in the morning. The first week I felt the need to sleep shortly afterwards, but now almost energized, but start to run out of gas at around 2.

It's probably allittle bit of both overdoing it and the meds. I get so stressed out about missing more work. I've been feeling pretty bad since August and have missed a few weeks of work allittle at a time, I think the boss is getting tired of my being out a lot.

Oh well, I've got to get over it and start thinking of myself.... of course, I'll probably go broke, lose my job, lose my insurane an then won't be able to afford to get better!! Oh this is wonderful..

Posts: 55 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've been on rocephin for just 2 wks now - and i do feel much more tired. you've got to take it easy - rest when you are tired!
Posts: 128 | From Brick, NJ, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son's on his 3rd month of IV rocephin, and he herxed for about the first month and a half, but doing better now. Night pain is diminishing, it's always worse at night.

Our LLMD said he's never seen anybody cured in Feb. or March. Wasn't sure if it was "keet" cycles or the cold, but I found that interesting.

He's having his gall bladder ultrasound tomorrow, so don't forget to have that done if your on rocephin.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeinME:

I used to get very tired right after doing my infusion. My nurse said that she has several people who fall asleep during the infusion. I have seen that happen because she has those patients do the daily infusion in her office, where I had my bandages changed.

But, like you, after a while I started to feel pretty peppy shortly after finishing the infusion, like a second wind. I did the infusions in the evening on my second round of Rocephin because my reaction was sometimes unpredicatble.

I am going to venture an educated guess that the stress you have about your job, income, etc. are causing you to feel like you are herxing. I don't think it is possible to herx daily (by definition of herx). I remember feeling extremely stressed over how I was going to pay my bills and keep my clients. I also stressed because every day was a mystery. Some days I would halucinate, some I was able to jog. I just couldn't predict and couldn't make any plans because of this.

The stress also caused me to panic a few times, like when I would drive to a meeting and suddenly feel like I could not make the 20 mile drive back. I felt alone and scared at times like that.

Eventually, I got used to the Rocephin and told everyone around me exactly what was happening. I did lose a client or 2. I even lost a friend who couldn't deal with my constant cancelling of our plans. But, it was a great load off of me to tell others how stressful this was for me and how unpredicatble it was. I was amazed at how my family, good friend, and many clients rallied and offered support, both emotional and financial.

Try to reduce your stress by accepting that you will feel achy and will sleep lots and will not be able to work at full tilt. There's isn't much you can do about it. You need rest and some peace of mind. Delegate, if you can. I had a colleague help me with my work. She was more than happy when I asked. You will be surprised how people will respond if you give them the chance to help you. It makes them feel good sometimes.

Ok, I'll stop now. Just want you to know you are not experiencing anything unusual.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morningnewsman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morningnewsman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I began heavy ABX 8 months ago, it put me in bed for three weeks, just exhausted, with all the symptoms worse. My LLMD said that was the body killing and flushing out ketes and toxins. I recently upped my dosage by 20%, and I feel flares and more tired. I think that is another herx because more ABX is penetrating deeper to get the ketes. Who knows.
Posts: 136 | From Poughkeepsie, New York | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeinME
Member # 6849

Thanks everyone for the support. I guess I've been overdoing it. Maybe I should take the next few weeks and work less. I really really want to feel better for spring, after having such a bad summer last year.

Thanks again. I forget that I am sicker than I appear.

Cora

Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very important to have weekly labwork while on IV. I felt so awful on IV, and knew something was wrong. It was far worse than a herx. I Got Neutropenic and had to stop, and I was having labs done 2x a week.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on IV Rocephin for 2 1/2 months in 2002, I kept up with a full time job which also entailed a horrendous driving commute! I'm surprised the Rocephin did any good at all. Stress definitely plays a part in how you feel.

I wish I didn't have to work so that I could concentrate on getting better 100%, but unfortunately that's not going to happen. I sleep A LOT on the weekends. Usually Friday night I sleep 12 hours and then take a nap Saturday afternoon too. I go to bed early every night because I have to get up at 6 a.m. There are nights I'm in bed by 7 p.m.

You have to do what's good for you working within the parameters you have. And try to keep anxiety and stress to a minimum.

Oh, I did lose my gallbadder after the Rocephin. I really haven't missed it.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement