LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr. Order anything for muscle and joint pain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Order anything for muscle and joint pain?
Annette5
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4717

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Annette5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Is anyone on anything for joint pain/muscle achiness by rx?The reason I ask I have to go back to work I was laid off and unemployment runs out this month.

Not sure If I can stay on my feet all day. I was wondering how everyone else copes with the pain. I take zyflamed for joint pain, kinda works but not really...

Thanks
Annette

Posts: 117 | From Greensburg Pa USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on my feet and outside often with my work. I take an Advul Softgel when I know it will be a particularly long day.

I have tried Celebrex, Naproxen, Vioxx, etc. Advil works best for me, with fewer side effects.

I also just got an Rx for massage therapy, which has helped lots in the past.

I take Bromelain or Curcumin too for inflamation.

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threefries
Member # 6959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for threefries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Napraxen (500mg). Basically it's super strength aleve. It can cause stomach problems and doesn't work for everyone.
Posts: 50 | From Sugar Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PainInfo

Stay away from the cox2 inhibitors there being withdrawn from the market.

I took vicodin and some others like motrin,asprin,alieve,etc.

Description Naproxen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This medicine used to treat pain and inflammation. It is also prescribed for dental pain, headaches and muscle aches or arthritis.
Top of page

General Information
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information is for educational purposes only. Not every known side effect, adverse effect, or drug interaction is in this database. If you have questions about your medicines, talk to your healthcare provider.
Top of page

Proper use of this medicine

Take this medicine orally with food or milk to avoid stomach upset. Do not crush or chew extended-release forms. Talk to your pharmacist for more information.
Top of page

Missed Dose

Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Top of page

Storage

Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed.
Top of page

Possible Side Effects

See your doctor immediately if you experience persistent stomach pain, black stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
If you experience other bothersome side effects, contact your health care provider.
Top of page

Warnings/Precautions

This medicine should be used with caution in patient with a history of high blood pressure, or ulcers.
Before having any surgery or dental treatments, let your doctor or dentist know that you are taking this medicine.
In some people this medicine can cause dizziness or drowsiness.
Top of page

Overdose

Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center. Symptoms of overdose include: stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, feeling tired, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), confusion, headache and blurred vision.
Top of page

Drug Interactions

Do not take aspirin with this medicine. Low dose aspirin taken for your heart is generally O.K. but talk with your doctor or pharmacist for details. Advise your doctor if you are taking blood thinners (e.g., warfarin), water pills (furosemide), or lithium.
Aspirin taken with alcohol may damage stomach lining resulting in stomach bleeding.
While taking aspirin, avoid the following; cat's claw, don quai, evening primrose, feverfew, ginger, ginko, green tea, ginseng.
A few of the most common drug Interactions with this medicine include:
the increasing effects of blood thinners (warfarin)
decreasing the effects of blood pressure medicines (ace inhibitors)
decreasing the effects of furosemide (Lasix)
If you are taking lithium or fluconazole, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
This medicine can be safely used with low-dose aspirin, but may increase the chances of stomach ulcers or other complications.
Talk to your doctor if you are taking any of the following drugs:
medicines for blood pressure
anticoagulants (blood thinners)
lithium
mexotrexate
aspirin
This medicine may have an affect on the following drugs:
blood pressure medications
lithium
methotrexate
rifampin
and anticoagulants.
This medication can interact with blood pressure medications, other anti-inflammatory drugs, lithium, methotrexate, rifampin, and anticoagulants. Talk with your pharmacist if you are taking these drugs together.
This medication may interact with ACE inhibitors and beta blockers (for blood pressure), with other anti-inflammatory drugs, with anticoagulants, with lithium, methotrexate, and with rifampin.

Pregnancy/Nursing

Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this drug. Use of this drug in the last 6 months of pregnancy is not recommended. This drug is excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 09 March 2005).]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annette5
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annette5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my LLMD said do not take NSAIDS motrin, ibuprofin, etc He said that they are no good for you, especially Naproxin and Aleve. I was just curios what other people were told
Annette

Posts: 117 | From Greensburg Pa USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Sulindac since Vioxx got yanked. It's an older class of drug, but so far no recall.

Vicoprofen helps the really bad joint pain.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joop
Member # 5601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am unable to take painkillers (liver problems) and was just in a serious car accident with broken bones...etc...i also have severe muscle and joint pain with lyme.

This has worked best for me...

magnesium injections and iv works the best for muscle pain!!!!

traumeel,

calendula cream or tincture rubbed in painful area with cilantro

epsom salt baths, moore mud bath

plant enzymes and salmon oil for inflamation

stretching every day

microcurrent and lymph drainage

not pushing myself too hard

focusing on parts of my body that don't hurt....right now the tip of my nose

anyway, just a few non-drug ideas for you

Joop

Posts: 44 | From Vancouver Island, Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take mangosteen....all natural pain relief.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

[This message has been edited by Lymetoo (edited 09 March 2005).]

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trillian
Member # 6857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trillian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Mobic for the last couple weeks, anti-inflammatory, helps a bit.

Has anyone else tried guaifenesin for muscle pain? I started on it when I thought my problem was fibromyalgia. There's some confusing and complicated theories about why it works, but actually it's a muscle relaxant, used in veterinary medicine as such. Helps a lot if I take high enough dose, like 600 miligrams 5 or 6 times a day. Can buy it OTC at most any pharmacy as Mucinex. Sold as an expectorant, which it's also great for.

Joint pain is still killing me, though.

------------------
The only way to define your limits is by going beyond them.
-- Arthur Clarke

Posts: 91 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 14 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Advil for years. It is not working for headaches this week. Ussually works for everything.
Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used (in addition to Zyflamend) a Glucosamine/MSM Arnica lotion that works amazingly well. It was recommended by my LLMD.

It's not rx, but it's about $15 a bottle (and would last me, using it everywhere at times) about amonth.

Email me if you want more info. as it's not sold in stores.

Also, Flexeril (non-generic) at bedtime works wonders.

Mild exercise, lots of magnesium and glucosamine, hot baths also help a LOT.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the muscle pain and achiness, I would definitely suggest talking to your doctor about Flexeril. It changed my life.

Plaquenil has helped control my joint pain and stiffness. It's an anti-malarial that seems to have anti-inflammatory properties. It is used alot for patients with RA and Lupus. It may also help kill babesia.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annette5
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annette5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all I am on Zyflamed,And felxeril (20mg) as needed.I also take ferinol for headaches,

What do you take when your head feels like the top is gonna blow open?

I have taken mag. It makes me throw up ! So I can't take that anymore.

Thanks to all that responed I will call him today, except when I call with a question they tack on 7.00 to my bill ! Of course my insurance isn't paying. I need to do something about that
Annette

beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention in my previous post that the one thing that has helped me most, other than Yoga and Advil, is magnets.

I have some very high quality gausse & neodyne magnets that I just tape or strap to the affected area and the pain is relieved within 15 - 30 minutes.

Don't try this with the ones you have on your fridge holding up the grocery list. Get good quality magnets.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annette,

Are you just taking the flexeril only when needed? My understanding is that flexeril works best when taken on a regular basis.

And did you start with really low doses of mag? That may help.

-Aniek

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annette5:
Well my LLMD said do not take NSAIDS motrin, ibuprofin, etc He said that they are no good for you, especially Naproxin and Aleve. I was just curios what other people were told
Annette

I was told the same thing.

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threefries
Member # 6959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for threefries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago - before all this new stuff - I had some stomach problems. It was blamed on too much ibuprofen.

(possibly lyme related now? I don't know)

Ibuprofen and napraxen (aleve) can be hard on the stomach and are definately not good long term.

Also - napraxen does nothing for the headaches for me.

hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

Posts: 50 | From Sugar Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advil can cause a lot of rebbound problems, Aleve is supposedly the only one among meds like tylenol, advil etc. that doesn't.

For pain crisis, Butalbital can be a good choice. It's a combination of fioricet, cafffeine and tylenol. Taken only when absolutely needed.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement