LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How many of you have had mono before Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many of you have had mono before Lyme?
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dullchime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering how many had this situation before your Lyme dilemma.

chime

Posts: 232 | From kennett square, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had blood work sent to Igenex about six weeks ago. My tests came back showing active Lyme Disease and also a recent EBV infection.

I have read on the board before that some Lyme sufferers have positive EBV tests, although they don't have any recollection of having an experience with mono.

I sure don't!

I think there must be a connection between the positive mono test and LD. Don't know what it is, but would be curious to hear other people's ideas.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from what i understand about 95% of the general population shows past exposure to the EBV virus.

Active infection would be indicated by a high titre.

i had an Inf. Disease doc try to tell me taht I have chronic EBV - without a high titre. Fired him promptly.

I don't think it has any relation to Lyme thought probably is a factor for Chronic fatigue sufferers - the ones that don't actually have Lyme.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had "mono" when I was 17....very ill. I now know it was mostly [if not all] Lyme. I believe I contracted Lyme around age 8.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marks
Member # 6965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My regular dr. who has an "open mind" tested me and said I had chronic mono.

He treated me for 2 weeks with famvir.

I believe it is associated to the LD.

Posts: 74 | From MS | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarabear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had mono at the start of the decline o fmy health. I don't think it was lyme acting up because my throat was practically swollen shut. Maybe it caused the lyme to become active in my system or something--I don't really know.
Posts: 160 | From Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, I got infectious mono at age 21; almost 35 years ago this month. EPV was not the name they used back then.

So fatigue has lasted from then to now with 1-2 years later the fibromyalgia severe pain came as well as the EXTREME sensitivity to lights/glare/reflections and noise/sound.

Plus irritable bowel/bladder, TMJ, migraines, painful periods, & the rest of my long list of symptoms came.

Betty G.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the standard 4 weeks of abx and no improvement, my PCP tested me for EBV. Positive! He then thought ok good it's not as bad as he suspected.

At least he was smart enough to suspect lyme in the very beginning. Two months later I told him it's lyme. I've got 40 of these symptoms from Dr B's write-up.

Pam

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threefries
Member # 6959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for threefries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - this is interesting.

I still have no dx of lyme, but I had mono about a year and a half ago - during thanksgiving. Never did figure out how I got it.

Anyone else think these two could be related???

Posts: 50 | From Sugar Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You caught my attention! I had a bad case of infectious mono when I was 14; which coincidently was the same year I developed myoclonic seizures........I was pretty healthy until 10 years ago, then got Babesia in Fall of '03, that took me right down the tubes!!!

Gail

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before my son tested positive for lyme, he had a positive EPV, and monospot. However, he never had mono, at least not that we ever noticed. Weird uh ?
Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, I had mono as a teen ager, about 14-15 y/o.

Hmmmmm.....since then have had strange, subtle, unexplainable symptoms (that I can relate to Lyme, now that I know what I know about Lyme)

Just to name a few over the years....

painful heavy mensus, paralysis (that lasted for a few hours upon wakening, this happened 2 times over about 2 years time),

stiff neck, painful achey joints, night sweats, panic attacks, sinus infections,

sudden severe onset of fatigue (once I slept almost 2 weeks straight, up each day for a bowl of soup and potty, then back to the couch, lost 10lbs in 2 weeks, which I couldn't afford, only weighed 108, went down to 98lbs).

Insomnia, anxiety, heart palpitations, rashes, migrains, neck & shoulder pain, brainfog, swollen ankles, feet, hands, muscle & joint cramps (charley horses), sciatic nerve flareups,

hyperactive bladder, vision problems, hair loss (alopecia, but it grew back)

Hypothyroid dx...short term memory problems, forgetfulness, getting lost (once I went to the grocery store...1 mile away, ended up in my parents driveway, 15 miles away). Left arm weakness (came and went)

I think I just kept getting reinfected til my body crashed last summer and my body's immune system said 'Do I have your attention now? I just can't keep up any more, I need outside help!'.

-laserred-

[This message has been edited by laserred (edited 11 March 2005).]

Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cigi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dignosed with EBV in 1988 - was in my 20's. The titers were so high, doctor told me titers of someone with Hodgkins or HIV. Never retested, but lyme diagnosis was thought of and come out in 2002.

Cigi

Posts: 320 | From Upstate, NY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement