LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help! just started doxy for heavy sinus infection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! just started doxy for heavy sinus infection
Corinne E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corinne E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have had a really bad head cold for the last two weeks, beginning of this week sinuses were very painful and heavy, with nasal discharge not a good colour, really heavy head and breathing through mouth at night time. Took all my vit and supplements, saline nose spray and to bed early. Lots of coughing when I first wake from nasal drip.

Am having cataract surgery on Mar 21, a little over a week, so went to doc as was worried about getting sicker (coughing, etc.) as they would not operate if ill. Doc gave me abx for doxy 100mg twice a day. Ate dinner, took pill with 2 glasses of water. In about 20 minutes my stomach started to hurt, was expecting that a bit, what I was not expecting was that my ears have not stopped humming/swooshing with pain at band at base of neck/head. Is this normal? Is this a side effect of doxy. Can't stop salivating/drooling, I think that's because my stomach is hurting though.

Have others experienced this when just starting doxy? Thanks for any info.

Corinne

Posts: 461 | From Abbotsford, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i take 400mgs of doxy,daily.i always take it with food.i still do get some upset stomach.but it passes.

i also have a sinus problem.i use nasonex for that.it is a rx.

maybe try to take the doxy with food.maybe all the water(2 glasses) you drank,gave you an upset stomach.......gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corinne E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corinne E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gary,

I did take doxy with food, for me 2 glasses of water equals 8 oz. Even after drinking the water, I had another 8 oz. of canada dry club soda. It took about 2 hrs for stomach to sorta settle, along the ridge of stomach.

What concerned me was the loud humming, swooshing in the ears. The symptoms that have been plaguing me the most lately are the ones aht kinda just shot up. I am having breakfast in a few minutes, and will take doxy. Will see what happens then.

For all the people like yourself on doxy at 400 mg a day, wow this is all I can say. Doxy is much harder on stomach than bioxin and flagyl. Thanks Gary.

Corinne

Posts: 461 | From Abbotsford, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dullchime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just left a post about doxy. One time when I took doxy I didnt eat anything with it and WOW! I was on the floor for 4hours in the fetal position.

At the time I took pepto, tums and some other things..

Be careful with the doxy and take if AFTER meals since it CAN ruin you appetite.

Lots and lots of water. If you dont, it can make you a little short of breath, or give you some "air hunger". Not fun.

Hope you feel better

chime

Posts: 232 | From kennett square, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corinne E
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4670

Well Gary and Dullchime, took it after breakfast this morning. Felt much better than last night, but could still feel the raw feeling along outer edge of my stomach. Have had on and off sharp shooting pains in head and yes a little short of breath. Also I felt really hot this afternoon, which is strange for me as I am always very cold. My hands were aching along with my knees.

Along with the sinus infection I have in each nostril right at tip of nose on inside 2 or 3 stores, that just don't want to heel. Hopefully doxy will take care of this. Anyways, my sinuses are starting to open up, and heavy heavy painful feeling in head, above eyes, behind cheeks/ears and throat is less now. Will be taking another pill in a few minutes, so will take note of reaction.

I feel nuts as I am always checking how my body feels, it never feels good. There is always something. I can hardly wait for the day when I will once again know what is to walk on cloud 9.

I do know there was a time when I felt like that and it was the most heavenly feeling in the world, like I couldn't feel anyting, light as air. Does anyone else experience that?

Corinne

HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy is pretty rude on the stomach. When I was on 400mg doxy with a gram of 'ceftin', I discovered Yarrow.- I make a tea out of it, 1tblspoon steeped in 8 oz just-boiled water. I drank it before pre-abx meal by several minutes. Then an hour or so after the abx, with a small amount of rice.
This stuff saved me from financial ruin (i.e., going to the hospital) when my intestines had holes eaten in them by ..'celebrex'.. , possibly in conjunction with Bb bacteria.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
corrine your symptoms all sound like babesia to me...from sharp shooting pains to shortness of breath to fever like etc....

have you been treated or tested for this coinfection? it would also explain the feeling of fullness in your sinus area that makes you think you have a sinus problem too

lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Queen of sinus infections just saw your post. I know exactly what you are going through. Although Levaquin did it with me.

Up the water intake and food with abx, and make sure you are taking TONS of acidophillus.

The one thing you mentioned 'sores in your nose that just won't heal' rang so true with me. And here's my take - get a cool air humidifier ASAP.

My bet is if you take humidity levels in your home/office, they are quite low. I have 2 next to my desk at work, and one next to my bed. I run them every day now.

Saline sprays are helpful, but when you're at that point, not enough. Try the new Axyr Saline Gel - 'stays longer' and provides a more lasting relief.

If you take antihistamines for allergies, you need to stop. They dry up the nasal passages, and you need to get all that junk out.

My allergist recommended Afrin spray to help decongest while off antihistamines. If you have high blood pressure (which I do), it will raise it a little, but nothing like most decongestants.

Even the old fashioned trick - pot of boiling water, tent your head over it for as long as you can take it - will help get some of the junk out.

As the abx do their thing, your head will feel weird and swishy and awful, and expect more Lyme symptoms to crop up as your body fights off this new offender.

I hope you're strong enough for the surgery.
Good luck to you.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corrine,
I have not taken antibiotics for LD, but from all I've been reading, it almost sounds like you're experiencing a herx from the Doxycycline.

So many Lyme patients have a history of terrible sinus problems.

Here's the link for Serrapeptase. Look at the info about sinus problems. http://smart-nutrition.net/serrapeptase-research.htm

"...clinical trials support serrapeptase's ability to relieve the problems associated with chronic sinusitis."

Take care,
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**what I was not expecting was that my ears have not stopped humming/swooshing with pain at band at base of neck/head.

**What concerned me was the loud humming, swooshing in the ears. The symptoms that have been plaguing me the most lately are the ones aht kinda just shot up

**Have had on and off sharp shooting pains in head and yes a little short of breath. Also I felt really hot this afternoon, which is strange for me as I am always very cold. My hands were aching along with my knees.

Hi Corrine,

I'm sorry you feel so bad right now.

Everything you say here sounds very much like a Herxheimer reaction from the Doxy..
bacteria die off/toxin release, making your old symptoms feel worse, and even creating some new ones.

Shooting pains in the head, the hot feeling, the ears..shortness of breath..

I do not believe that constallation of symptoms is a side effect of Doxy or a result of clearing a sinus infection..
my opinion.

I hope you get to feeling better, soon..
and I agree on the extra water, lots of acidophilus, and maybe detox tea and epsom salt baths would help through it better.

Take good care,
Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 13 March 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement