LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » appendex question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: appendex question
Annette5
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4717

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Annette5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi My nephew 14 has Lyme and babesios (sp) He is having appendex pain . Can this be from the Babesios and lyme?
Posts: 117 | From Greensburg Pa USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richtersl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richtersl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of the cause of that pain, you need to rule out appendicitis. Appendicitis is nothing to be trifled with because if the appendix should rupture things could get very ugly, indeed.

Since he's your NEPHEW and therefore has no ovarian cyst causing the pain you need to have a doctor examine him ASAP.

If he's feverish and in extreme pain, get him to an emergency room.

[This message has been edited by richtersl (edited 15 March 2005).]

Posts: 749 | From New Hope, PA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annette5
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annette5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She had him to his PCP and said it was gas ! Imagine that, so that is the last time she goes there, she called his LLMD and he suggested to go to the ER. She took him to a Urgent care center. They said as soon as he doubles over get him to the ER ASAP. She was wondering if it had to do with his Babeosis and Lyme?
Annette

Posts: 117 | From Greensburg Pa USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't think they're related, but don't forget that the gallbladder /liver is right there too adn can radiate pain that will feel like the appendix..they can tell very easily by a quick blood test...very high wbc and tender to touch and appendix...

check liver enzymes..those can show inflammation from lyme/babs..adn can cause pain in that general area..
Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richtersl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richtersl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gas? Oh dear....

You might want to consider looking for a new PCP, especially if this one did not even do a blood test.

Lisa's absolutely right about the high white blood cell count. If he has appendicitis, his WBC be through the roof and he will most likely need his appendix removed. I'd forgotten all about the blood test part of it. Then again, I had mine removed a LONG, LONG time ago.

Liver enzyme readings can also be derived from a simple blood test.

[This message has been edited by richtersl (edited 15 March 2005).]

Posts: 749 | From New Hope, PA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read over the years about many of us with abdominal pain that seems to have no specific etiology. I certainly have lower right quadrant pain that I have suspected to be appendicitis in the past. Now I realize that it's part of my lyme presentation.

I've had a hysterectomy, so know it's not ovary related. I've also had my gall bladder removed, while on IV Rocephin, so that's not the culprit. We haven't been able to find a reason for it, it just happens periodically.

The two key symptoms to look for are rebound tenderness and high white cell count. That is classic appendicitis, but it can present with or without these symptoms as well. The list of symptoms for appendicitis are not iron clad, just more likely than not. That's why he was sent home to wait to see if he gets better or if he doubles over. That doubling over is pretty tough to argue with after his previous presentation. The pain can actually be caused by gas...

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah...

Hold on..

We've been through this.

First, what Breathwork says is right in any case when she says:
" but it can present with or without these symptoms as well. The list of symptoms for appendicitis are not iron clad, just more likely than not."

But even MORESO when on abx.

Two MAJOR points (talk to LLMD) are..
IF the child is on antibiotics, symptoms of appendicitus will be dampened, across the board.

So...the WBC count would not go through the roof, but may rise some from baseline. (if you have a baseline WBC count taken over time)

If the child has had routine bloods done ..you maybe, maybe cound tell from the blood count.

(ie: my son was getting weekly blood draws for a year, and his WBC was normally around 3, running low..
the ER Doc followed "routine" screening "rules"..and came back and said he didn't have "elevated" WBC's.
Pesky me said "What was the count"..she said "6.9"...but despite my assertions that that was high for my son..and he had NEVER had a count that high for over a year, though not abnormal for a child not on abx..she still sent him home after performind a scan, which was "equivocal".

We were darn lucky it didn't rupture, I left announcing my concern and that I was really uncomfortable, and (get this)..they said to give him anti-inflammatories (which would only serve to further dampen the symptom of pain) I called in the AM and a surgeoun called back and when I explained I was concerned about the pain in the lower right quadrant and the fact abx could effect test results, he urged us to rush back to the hospital right away. Had him in surgery from ER in fifteen minutes flat. He then explained that noone told him that night before at 1AM when we were in the ER that my son was ON abx, as he knew that being on them changes the whole scene)

Doctors can be, and often are WRONG, not only in Lyme. When there is something this serious as a possibility, you can't be too careful.

Point being..if he is on abx, they cannot use the typical screening tools in the same way..
WBC count, and even a scan..which they do next..can be equivocal, as it was in my son's very infected appendix.

ABX dampens the signs, but in no way will address the seriousness or prevent rupture.
I guess it just can keep some inflammation down and fight some of the sirculating infection.

The signs that were clear in my son were these:
he had bad abdominal pain, first centered in the center..then it all moved over to the lower right side.

He had the classic "rebound pain"..they check for, when you press down right on the appendix, and pull off it fast, it really hurts upon pulling pressure off. Rebound pain.

Mom ought to be very careful to find an evaluator who understands and respects the efects of abx on this, and will screen carefully with that in mind.

The first ER Doc treated him like he was on no abx, and further ignored our LLMD's concerns..
The second Doc (the surgeon) Knew better, and got it out just in time.

I don't know if the cause was TBD's or the usual, which is some sort of bowel obstruction at the valve that allows the appendix to become blocked.

We are going to have the tisue tested for DNA.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 15 March 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my appendicts removed 4 years ago. At first I though tit was just typical Lyme problems in mt GI..I Spent all day in the ER getting tests done..nothing showed, so they sent me home at the end of the day with a pain shot. They told me I either had a virus or was constipated.

I got home and the pain came trampling back, I was doubled over and screaming.. I got back to the ER..by this time I had elevated WBC...ALthough they still did not know if it was appendicts but decided to go in anyway... Thank GOD they did! My Appendicts was ready to burst at any minute!

My suggestion would be take every precaution...I did nto present with typical Appendicitis pain in the beginning. Just pain in middle of abdomin that later spread but nt until the end. As well as nausea..No elevated WBC either until right up until time of sugery. I was on Bicillan the whole time..probably what caused WBC to stay normal for so long, and could be what saved me.

Get a second opinion if he still has stomache pain... it is worth it.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement