LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » it's in the brain.............

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: it's in the brain.............
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi gang,

I have been on abx treatment now for 15 months or so and have seen some good progress. The big thing for me was the level of my C-Reactive Protein, which indicates the level of inflammation. It has now gone down to a normal level, which my LLMD thought 'weird low - but great'.

I just started pulsing with tetracycline. After continuous abx for 14 months I first stopped everything for 3 weeks to allow the cysts to come out and it resulted in a nice herx etc.

Anyway, my feeling is that I have a good chance to get to a point where I can control the Lyme in the rest of my body. Looking forward at this point, I am more concerned about the Lyme in my brain. A brain MRI 9 months ago did not show lesions or something, but there is a good chance they're in the brain. I also understand that most abx do not cross the blood brain barrier very well so treatment there is difficult.

So, what does the future hold for me? Will it slowly take over my brain - developing the 'brain fog' etc? What abx are best for the brain? I have been on: Biaxin/Plaquenil, Mepron/Zithromax, Mepron/Ketek, Bicillin and now Tetracycline. I have heard that IV abx are the best for the brain, but I am weary to suggest Rocephin. Comments would be most welcome.

Tim

Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,

What makes you think there is a good chance it is in the brain? Are there particularly symptoms?

Many people never have cognitive symptoms. I've been carrying the buggers around for 18 years. I have some neurological symptoms - but they are related to nerves and motor function. My LLMD suspects it's spinal and not brain. Still waiting for MRI results.

But I've never had brain fog or other cognitive symptoms. That's the reason ducks kept telling me I couldn't have Lyme.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, I don't have any cognative symptoms, just the inflammation (chest, knee) and neurological symptoms. But with my luck (ha!) I thought it better to find out about the brain thing before it hits me. I do have a pretty consistent head ache in the back of my head, but that might be the central nervous sytem aw well my dock says.
Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning Tim-

You have made good progress on great drug combos. I would not think you would develope neuro lyme on the tetra.

My neuro lyme happened with low dose interrrmitant treatment. Iv Rocephin didn't help me. Since then I have been on tetra long term and have made the best progress. Our llmd feels that eventually tetra will get the lurking and cyst keets and the pulsing will help.

Our llmd doesn't feel rocephin crosses the brain/blood barrier well and other abx has to be added to facilitate that.

It's early and I haven't had coffee, so I hope I'm clear.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fredoroberts
Member # 5856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredoroberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told by my llmd that doxycycline, ceftin, and omnicef cross the brain barrier. There may be otheres too, those are just the ones he has used for me.

He has had me on ceftin for 20 months, with zithro. He has just switched me to ketek and omnicef and told me that omnicef penetrates into the brain better than ceftin.
Apparently zithro and ketek do not make the crossing. Good luck!

Posts: 20 | From Santa Barbara, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zuzuu
Member # 6826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zuzuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been off ABX for 3 years and am having symptoms again, some of which are neuro. (anxiety and OCD) Went to see LLMD and he feels Tetra is one of the best for the brain barrier. I asked him if he thought I would have to go on IV Roc. and he said no. He felt that Tetra and others, (cyst poppers?), would be better. I think this is a change in opinion from 3 years ago. I guess IV R. is not the ultimate treatment for everyone. That's good news, I think. In my case, the brain fog was brought on by being treated with the wrong ABX which were prescribed by a great doctor but he just wasn't familiar enough with Lyme. That's when I went to LLMD. After other ABX, that problem resolved.
Posts: 24 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know Bb is in the brain in any form of the disease. Lack of neurological symptoms is good but doesn't not exlude presence of bacteria in the nerwous system.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement