LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » allergy to all antibiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: allergy to all antibiotics?
brodius
Member # 6835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brodius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found out that a biopsy of recurrent rashes are actually drug eruptions - due to doxy. Also since going off the doxy my heart has settled down. So, no more doxy. I have been to the ER from an allergy to cephlosporins (sp.?) and erthromycin - what now? I thouht maybe my reactions were herxes but it now appears to be true allergies. Has anyone else had this problem and/or any advise on how to proceed?
Posts: 78 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a doctor and have no qualifications to give you any real advise, with that said, and not knowing how long it takes these symptoms to appear, I would make sure that they are truly allergic reactions. Even with the rashes I would still question.

There have been times on antibiotics, I have had similar reactions. I have no idea if they were to the extent you are experiencing, but early on I landed in the emergency room several times. This was before I had a Lyme diagnosis.

If you are not seeing an LLMD I think I try to see one and get a second opinion. Regardless you probably need to be closly monitored when taking any new antibiotic.

Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brodius
Member # 6835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brodius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks hwlatin - everyone seems to believe it is a true allergy - but either way, what I go through is pretty horrific. You are right though, I'll just sit back and wait to hear what my LLMD thinks when I see him in April. Thanks again for your input!

Posts: 78 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kira
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

Do you have any signs of multiple chemical sensitivity or newly devloped food allergies along with the abx intolerance??

I used to tolerate abx with no problem but then developed all these allergies/sensitivites to anything ingested or injected into me...I believe, in my case at least, that it stems from toxicity issues...from the pathogens (be it from active infection and/or die off) and/or from previous treatments...

Our bodies can only deal with so much and everybody's tolerance level is different...but eventually it just all builds up and becomes more than our body can handle...and then our body starts rejecting everything (aka allergies)

Maybe discuss with your doc some detox protocol and then see if you can tolerate abx better then???

Just a thought...this disease is so complicated to figure out what is what...

All my best,
Kira

Posts: 802 | From Chicago suburbs, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful. My mother is allergic to almost all antibiotics. These allergies can actually be deadly.

Talk to your LLMD. You may be able to challenge some abx, start at a really low dose and slowly increase. You can also carry an EPI pen with you in case you have breathing problems. Also, it could be something in the pill, like dye.

I also wonder if Ketek could be a choice, since it is a new class of antibiotics.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get a drug allergist on board with
your llmd. Although not discussed much
here, sometimes a low steriod dose is used
along with antibiotics to tame the body down.

There are a couple of ll rheumatologists in
the east to ask about in the medical section.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I developed this problem quite a while into abx when a LLMD decided to toss me on a ten day on ten day off protocol. I quickly became allergic to everything.

Im talkign down to food. While not true allergies, they are and continue to be definite reactions.

My advice? FIND an allergist. Get tested
Detox the living crap out of your body and research this:

Leaky gut syndrome.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had severe allergies to ALL in this world.

I had the drugs, or rather antibiotics VEGA tested at an ND's.

I was on Biaxin and flagyl.

I tested ok for both. One I was kinda sensitive to so he desensitzed me to it.

I had severe herxing.

SO MUCH SO that I had to start off with 60mgs of the biaxin only. Yes, I said 60mgs a day. All other lyme patients were on 1000mgs a day of the biaxin.

By working slowly with the antibiotics, I got better.

Maybe they are true allergies, but they also could be true allergies because you are SO toxic with lyme, you are actually allergic to the drugs.

So, I say, vega test, then start slow.

You sure the heck do not want to give up a good thing with the antibiotics if you dont have to.

ALSO, could be you have candida overgrowth. Could be so bad you have drug allergies.

If you can handle a candida cleanse now, the nystatin, do this first, see how you do.
I would do nystatin, then diflucan, both drugs I feel are needed by some of us.

I read on here that some LLMD's put the patient on a candida program with antifungal drugs before antibiotics, just to be safe.

I did the nystatin before anitbiotics, but I still had drug allergies.
It was because lyme had made me SO toxic, my liver could not handle ANY drugs.

Trish

[This message has been edited by Health (edited 23 March 2005).]

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brodius
Member # 6835

I'm sorry it had taken me so long to answer - I have really been feeling terrible - body pain all over, and cracking and creeking everywhere. I'm not sure why, either a herx to the cat's claw or a result of attempting to start exercising again. I feel better today - but my son was up all night hallucinating due to high fever - positive for strep!.

So, anyway, I really think all of you are right - although I'm unsure how to proceed and very disappointed. My body overreacts to everything - and anything - smells, wheat, stress, and almost all drugs. My event monitor at night, is indicating just periodic surges of sinus tachycardia - so, at least my cardiac responses so far are not dangerous.

But when on antibiotics - I cut down to 100 1x day - my heart symptoms and rashes (I can handle the body pain - although the fatigue is tough to deal with) are unbearable.

I am currently taking cat's claw, some ultra B complex vitamin, a ultra vitamin drink, and diflucan, magnesium and coq10- and I switched back to atkins - when I feel really lousy- its the only way I can eat to function. I see my docotr in April although I am thinking about calling and asking to try something else - I'm dreading it but also dreading the fact of not treating what I have. I will ask about Ketek. Or should I take the time (until April) and continue what I'm doing? - What is a vega test? is it for drug sensitivities/allergies? are there any other ways to detox other than what i am doing?

Thanks everybody! - the amount of information here is invaluable - and its so helpful to hear what has worked for others -especially when everything seems so difficult.

Tom Grier
Member # 7025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Grier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Brodius,

Here are some possibilities not yet discussed: Doxycycline as it passes through the gut can latch onto Calcium, pottasium and magnesium ions (Plus + charged minerals)

Once this happens the doxy is poorly absorbed into the gut hence the warning do not take with antacids and milk products etc. If the drug is poorly absorbed it stays in the gut and kills more bowel flora and less doxy gets into the bloodstream.

The overall effect of binding these minerals can affect heart rhythem often causing heart palpitations, PVCs. PACs, and atrial fib.

Taking more magnesium in between doxycycline doses often helps.

As for allergies, often skin rashes are from excipients like Tartrazine yello dye. These rashes are best desensitized with 3 days of diphenhydramine 50-75 mg TID.

Most so called minor antibiotic reactions will dissapear forever after this three day regimen of Benadryl and antibiotic together.

A doctor who used to specialize in this procedure was Russel P Cancilerri in New Jersey. TOM G

Posts: 29 | From Duluth, MN, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Grier
Member # 7025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Grier   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Brodius,

Here are some possibilities not yet discussed: Doxycycline as it passes through the gut can latch onto Calcium, pottasium and magnesium ions (Plus + charged minerals)

Once this happens the doxy is poorly absorbed into the gut hence the warning do not take with antacids and milk products etc. If the drug is poorly absorbed it stays in the gut and kills more bowel flora and less doxy gets into the bloodstream.

The overall effect of binding these minerals can affect heart rhythem often causing heart palpitations, PVCs. PACs, and atrial fib.

Taking more magnesium in between doxycycline doses often helps.

As for allergies, often skin rashes are from excipients like Tartrazine yello dye. These rashes are best desensitized with 3 days of diphenhydramine 50-75 mg TID.

Most so called minor antibiotic reactions will dissapear forever after this three day regimen of Benadryl and antibiotic together.

A doctor who used to specialize in this procedure was Russel P Cancilerri in New Jersey. TOM G

Posts: 29 | From Duluth, MN, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brodius
Member # 6835

Thanks Tom G! - I guess the bottom line is I need to figure out how to deal with my system reacting like it does - I think it's very true what you said about the magnesium = I feel so much better and my cardiac symptoms really ease up when I remember to take it and/or I go for a myer's cocktail (I know I spell it like the rum - but I like it better that way!!!).

I don't particularly like benadryl - but it is what the ER will give you and it does work - however - it didn't take away my latest rash - this was a different one than the drug eruption - it was on my face - very attractive! almost looked like bites - but it wasn't - just some other kind of reaction I am sure.

Thanks again - Brodius

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement