LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 5-HTP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 5-HTP
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted recently about Jordan needing a non-prescription sleep med. Someone suggested 5-HTP.

Can anyone share their experience with 5-HTP?

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joseph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That mught have been me.For me it really calms neurological stuff down,it calms down restlessness,restless legs.I believe it increases seratonin.I know of at least two LLMDs who recomend it.If you can get Annies attention she could tell you about it,she takes it too.Some night I can get by with just 5htp but most night I use lorazapam but my restless neuro is bad.Sometimes I take a 5htp in the afternoon if I am wired from the lyme and in an hour I will feel more relaxed.
Posts: 308 | From new bedford,Ma. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 7 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chainsaw joseph,

Thanks for replying. What brand of 5-HTP do you use?

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5-HTP made my Fog so much worse. It was worth a try, but didn't help with the sleep and the added fog and head stuff was too much for me.

I'm waiting for Lunesta, a purportedly non addictive sleep med to come out soon.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5-HTP has helped me with my sleep but only to an extent. It helps me fall asleep but I need something else to help me stay asleep (I take Neurontin for that). It's nice to have one less prescription medication, but it's still a pill to take! I take 200mg of 5-HTP and 400mg of Neurontin.

--Annie

------------------

Click here to join Lyme Pals.

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Lyme Out Retreat Information Webpage

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-OH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used it and recommended it to many friends who now use it.

What I like about it is that it doesn't take weeks to build up to start working; rather, I can feel the difference in 20 minutes.

Also, there are no side effects and it doesn't interract with other meds.

You don't need to keep taking it either because it's non-habit forming.

5HTP lift my mood and just helps me feel like me! I love it.

I don't know that one brand is better than another, but I got mine from the local health food store. Mine is made by "Natural Balance". Price is $13.99 for 60 capsules. I take one capsule per day when needed.

---Nancy

Posts: 963 | From N. Olmsted, OH USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joseph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what Nancy says,I believe my brand is douglass labs.I get it right from my LLMD but its not prescription.
Posts: 308 | From new bedford,Ma. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Son, low in every neurotransmitter (tested) uses 5HTP. Remarkable!!! (He is also using GABA for better sleep - link between forebrain seizures and recurring nightmares.) Normally serotonin and dopamine are antagonistic...one up, other down. In his case, both were low. He was very, very sick.

He also takes Epsom salt baths 4# bags with 2 cups of baking soda in a warm tub for 25 minutes only. It makes a HUGE difference in his mood. He comes out of the bath with a HUGE grin on his face. (He tested low in Mg and Na).

Tryptophan (amino acid in turkey and other foods) + B6 + B12 + Vit C + Mg + Ca + Zn -> 5HTP -> serotonin + 2 ENZYMES -> melatonin.

(Note: another resource lists more nutrients than the above, but you will get the idea. If any one of those nutrients is lacking, the likelihood of making enough serotonin drops.) Serotonin is produced in the gut also. Healthy gut?

[This message has been edited by Marnie (edited 27 March 2005).]

Posts: 9430 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
levity101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for levity101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Peggy,
I have been using Nature's Way 5-HTP for a while now and feel that it has helped somewhat with the frequency of migraines. It also really helps with my sleep. I take 50mg before bed on an empty stomach with a small amount of carbohydrate like juice or fruit (I've read this in a couple of places and it seems important to the metabolization), but don't take with milk (can't remember why).

I have taken it twice a day, morn and night at times.

I'm thinking about trying it with Max since he could use the serotonin boost these days as well. I can e-mail you some links about it when I get my own computer back today or tomorrow.

Take care,
Nancy

Posts: 688 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thislittlepiggie
Member # 4521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thislittlepiggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to add a precaution to the discussion....5HTP should NOT be taken if the patient is using any sort of anti-depressant.
Otherwise, it is a pretty good help to those with trouble staying asleep. I now take L-theanine, at the advice of my LLMD, as it helps relax you but is not as prone to leaving you groggy in the morning. GABA has been known to be similar and Inositol is good to combine with either of them.
Insomnia is HORRIBLE, so whatever you choose, best of luck that it works for you! take care. Lori

Posts: 29 | From manchester, NH, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found Solaray 100mg caps (60caps) to be excellent. The caps are coated so as to make it through your stomach and dissolve in the sm intestine...where it should. I have tried other brands/non-coated that have given me a stomach ache. I took 2 or 3 for the first couple days...then just one about an hr before going to bed. sleep solid. 60 cap bottle is about $25 at the healthfood store I go to.
Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second what thislittlepiggie said!

The only time I took 5-HTP, I also happened to be taking prozac and boy, did I *feel* my brain turn to mush. My head churned and spun, and I had trouble seeing until it wore off. Good thing I was at home.

I guess that was serotonin intoxication or whatever it's called.

Now that I've been off SSRIs for several years, it might be a good idea to try it again since I could use some help sleeping these days.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement