LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Quandry with my LLMD and only a few months of ABX

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quandry with my LLMD and only a few months of ABX
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my LLMD
Everyone really seems to like him
I know several, if not many, from Lymenet see him

My question is this

We are pretty sure I contacted Lyme in 2001 (personally I think much later, in the 90's, but he thinks otherwise).

He has me on all the right medication and supplements. He really seems like he knows what he is doing.

He thinks I have babs and bart.

I have been on medication since January (Biaxin and Minocyclin, then Zith and Levaquin and now Ketek - in addition to supplements, probiotics, Nystatin, Cat's Claw and Artemesinin).

He thinks most of my Lyme should be gone by now. I am on Ketek for 2 more months and then that's it for antibiotics.

5-6 months of antibiotics.

All my research I have done says you should be on them longer. Am I wrong?

He has had Lyme and said that a few months of ABX cured him and he has had no symptoms so far.

I'm just wondering, can you get rid of Lyme that quickly????

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Does this "LLMD" have lots of happy satisfied customers? I don't personally know of any LLMD's who say 5-6 months on abx and you're cured. [the word "cured" is rarely used by LLMD's as far as I know]

And you had this a minimum of 4 yrs with no abx? Doesn't add up in my book.

Babs alone can take a year or more to clear....same with bart. I don't see where you've even had the meds for bart or babs...???

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh C'mon Jill - what do YOU really think?

I know you are really fond of him & probably feel darn lucky to have him now.

But what are all the other LLMD's saying with regard to length of treatment?

I mean - if you STILL have symptoms after the antibiotics - then what?

I would think if LD is supposed to be primarily a clinical diagnosis - that treatment should be extended until the clinical picture is better - don't you?

Do your research & take it to him (in the wise way you know how...).

Lyme treatment - from my limited understanding - is supposed to be individualized - isn't it? If not, we'd have a national standard protocol by now.

We ain't got that yet.

You're an individual - make him treat you like one & not like a clone of his happy a**.

xoxo

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the main things is that you continue treatment until you are symptom free for at LEAST 2 months.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill -- all I can say is that we've been on tx for almost a year, and will continue at least 2 months longer. During this time I've treated for Bb (continuously); babs (7 months); and bart (4 months). I contracted LD/co in 1989.

We've had major, major improvements over the year, but I still have herxheimer reactions, particularly since I added in the tindamax to treat the cyst form. Which I hope, hope, hope is the final step for us...

I haven't had any yeast problems in a while and I'm fanatic with the probiotics and garlic, so I'm as sure as I can be that its LD etc, and not yeast..

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docdave130
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you still seeing dr. s in chadds ford if so then you might have a problem.
i know i gave you his name, but have since found he is too conservative in his treatment. he has no ryhme or reason for stopping abx, and doesn't restart until you have a positive pcr.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey DocDave

Yeah, I know all about Dr S in Chadds Ford. My first visit he said I should never expect to test positive and gave me 250 mg of Zith every day for 6 wks. Saw me again and put me on 250mg of Zith every other day for 6 wks. And then told me that he would not treat me until I did test positive. ?????? And I kept asking him, do you think I have Lyme and he would say, 'maybe'. ??????

The way he portrayed his treatment at our very first visit was totally opposite of how he ended up treating me. I was so confused and frustrated with him.

I am seeing another doctor in DC now.

Sad thing is, it almost takes me as long to go to this doc in DC than it did to see Dr. S in PA!

The doc I am seeing now said that he would not stop ABX until after symptoms stopped. He really thinks 4-6 months will get rid of the Lyme, Babs and Bart.

I am worried it will put the Lyme into hiding (suppress it - if that is the right word) and when it resurfaces, it will be even worse than it is now.

[This message has been edited by JillF (edited 30 March 2005).]

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
I know quite a few who like your LLMD but myself and many more have had the same problem as you are with him.

Nothing personal as he is a wonderful man, but I, too believe he took me off abx way too early and know of a few others that he has done this too.

Not sure if he or we are right (and know my grammar is not, lol).

good luck!

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Do you have anyone to reccomend in the MD/DC area?

Did your Lyme symptoms come back (I assume they did)?

It sucks cause he is a great guy. And so far diagnosing me and treating me is basically by the book. It is just the length of treatment that is the problem...

I really thought this LLMD was the one for me.

I would hate to have to pay out of pocket for another outrageous initial consultation fee and testing with another LLMD. And just going through the whole process of finding one, meeting one, etc, will be so frustrating.

sarabear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jill,

I came on here to update you on how my visit with Dr. S went, when I came across your post.

I can tell you that I have a very similar take on the advice I was given. I found the doctor to be very likable and he did 'know his stuff', but he also insisted that 1-3 months of treatment for babesia, and 1-3 months of IV treatment for the lyme will "have me feeling fine." I asked him what would happen if I wasn't well, or if I relapsed and he said that relapse very rarely happens, and left it at that. I can tell you that he was also very keen that I nurse the baby I am currently carrying for 6 months, although I have heard quite the contrary on lymenet and from Dr. Jones' office.

I left somewhat confused, but still happy to have some sort of treatment plan for after I have the baby. Just an aside--I also found his receptionist/nurse to be quite cranky! Keep me posted on how this all goes for you. I still have 5 months to go before I can start my treatment so in the meantime I'll have to live vicariously through you. hahaha.

Posts: 160 | From Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too see this Dr. and he is a wonderful man. Have you tried to tactfully yet forcefully explained to him that you do not feel that you are in remission. He has treated me for 1 year for babesia, and has never once voiced that he feels antibiotics should be stopped until I feel all symptoms are gone. I really feel if you tell him exactly why you feel you still have bart and or lyme, he will keep treating you. He did me.

Rene

Posts: 366 | From Louisville KY. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Thanks Sara. I will try to do my best for you! Lol.

Good to know Rene. I will take you and Dr WA's advice. I hope it works cause I really like this LLMD.

But, I mentioned that I still had alot of stiffness that was very painful (something I've always had since the very beginning of symptoms - legs, back, arms, neck, feet, hands, etc) and he said that it could not be Lyme, as I had been treated enough. It must be my weight. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong, I know I need to lose weight but it just seemed an odd answer - especially when the stiffness is everywhere - not just my legs. It hurts as much to bend my knees as it does to lift my arms high enough to take off my bra or to open my hands.....it's all the same exact pain.

And 3 months treatment of ABX should have cleared out my Lyme?

sarabear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I guess I'd probably do what Rene is suggesting, and just explain to him that you do not feel that your lyme is cleared, that you have symptoms that you are convinced have to do with the lyme, and that you strongly feel that you need further treatment so that you don't get sicker. I would basically tell him what you want, because it's probably the only way to get it.
Posts: 160 | From Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sarabear:
I still have 5 months to go before I can start my treatment so in the meantime I'll have to live vicariously through you. hahaha.

Sara, you're not on amoxy??

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

bel1268
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bel1268     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jill,
I see this doc too and have been seeing him since July 03. My first babs treatment was for 5 months then we went on to bart and lyme. However babs returned and I am on my 11 month of babs treatment.

I agree with Rene you must tell him what you think. This is a team effort and you know your body. That being said if he does not continue treatment then I would find another LLMD...

I just know so many that have been in long term treatment with him and it shocks me to hear otherwise. Even when my friend thought he was ready to stop meds Dr. S told him he needed another two months just to be sure. My friend is doing great to this day and quit all meds 10 or 11 months ago. Good luck and I hope things work out soon.

Posts: 240 | From Southern Maryland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bel1268
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bel1268     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget to add that I have disagreed with him before and he has always listened to me...

[This message has been edited by bel1268 (edited 31 March 2005).]

Posts: 240 | From Southern Maryland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every cell in your body completely replaces itself every 7 years. 98% in less than 2 years. Cells require varying lengths of time to regenerate, for example:

BRAIN 1 YEAR
BLOOD 4 MONTHS
SKELETON 3 MONTHS
DNA 2 MONTHS
LIVER 6 WEEKS
SKIN 4 WEEKS
STOMACH LINING 5 DAYS
TASTE BUDS 6 DAYS

So going with that theory spirochetes cant hide forever.

I went the last time for treatment 14 months straight no breaks. I have been off abx since sept 27th 04 sofar so good.

Everyone here needs to understand that the disease works differently in each person because of there make up and Time infected ,strain or strains of Bb, coinfections and overall health to begin with.

If I were you I would insist on treatment until all symptoms were gone then I would go 2 to 4 months more also taking flagyl at the same time.

But Iam not a Doctor if the LLMD wont do that get another.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jill, I don't know your LLMD but, I think it is possible to be well after just a few months of treatment. My MD used to think that way. After 7 months of treatment we mutually agreed to stop abx. He thought I had either plataued or was suffering from residual effects of abx. I thought I still had Lyme.

Well, we were both right. I had developed systemic candida from the abx, which needed to be cleared up. But, I also relapsed and was having what seemed like Babs symptoms. My MD admitted me to hopsital for testing to rule out every other possibility and to get me on a nutritional IV because I was pretty darn sick.

After a few trips to the hospital with "mysterious" symptoms (as ER MDs called them), my MD and I decided that infact I still had Lyme and certainly had Babs. I started over with my treatment, after I cleared the candida. 13 months later my MD is saying I need to keep going with abx and thinks I lost ground when off treatment. He does not take an omnipotent viewpoint on this.

I think sometimes, it is a trial and error with Lyme treatment. You may well be better after 5 months of treatment, many are. But, be aware that if you stop treatment and relpase you will lose some of the benefit of the first round of abx.

Please discuss this with your LLMD. Sounds like he will listen. Afterall, you pay the bill.

Good Luck

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patdetweiler
Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patdetweiler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jill- He THINKS you have babs and bart-has he sent your blood to MDL to test for co-infections? I didn't see Mepron and Zithromax (at the same time ) in your med list. That's what my LLMD used for me for babs-6 weeks. Also, she told me Western Blots every month or so can be helpful in tracking one's progress. My LLMD is in central NJ-email me if you want her name. Pat
Posts: 79 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,

Are you still looking for another LLMD in the DC area? I see a Dr. in northern VA. I can email you her contact info.

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarabear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6530

Lymetoo--

oh I'm on amoxy alright! 4500 mg/day, but it sure isn't treating me! With the babs, the amoxy isn't makign a dent in my symptoms so I'll have to wait until the baby is born to begin the mepron/zithro. After that, apparently I'm supposed to be on IV for a little while for the lyme. Then maybe I'll start feeling better.

Sara

[This message has been edited by sarabear (edited 31 March 2005).]

JillF
Member # 5553

Thanks for everyone's help/advice/knowledge on this.

No, I have never been tested for the co-infections. My LLMD just says that my symptoms and the time of the symptoms match Babs and Bart.

I have never been positive for Lyme - even with Igenex.

The meds went like this: Biaxin and Minocyclin, then Zith and Levaquin and now Ketek.

I believe the Biaxin and Mino were for Babs - and the Zith and Levaquin for Bart.

He said he is going to take me off of Ketek in 2 months. At that time, it will end up being 5 months (maybe a little less) that I will have been on ABX.

[This message has been edited by JillF (edited 31 March 2005).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement