LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Getting the blood to IGeneX

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting the blood to IGeneX
poordamocles
Member # 7123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poordamocles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm living in Saskatchewan, Canada. The provincial medical system believes that Lyme does not exist here. I may, possibly, be able to talk a local nurse into taking my blood to send to Igenex, but I don't know HOW to get the forms and do the actual sending. The search engine on this site doesn't work, so I can't find a link to Igenex. Googling doesn't show me any specifics of how to get the blood tubes and the forms and the actual mailing address. Can anyone help this very frustrated person? Do I need to save a thousand bucks to fly to California for a simple blood test!??!! 6 years ago I gave up because I couldn't get the little mailing details worked out, but now I'm afraid I should have bought the plane ticket.
Posts: 4 | From Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you in touch with the Canadian lyme disease group?
http://www.canlyme.com

Probably someone there has done this.

Also, here is Igenex website -
http://www.igenex.com

I think the main things are to use a speedy mail delivery service, get it in the right kind of tube, know which test you want.

By the way, search engine on this website may not be working but google search will turn up both the websites listed above. Guess I don't understand the problem you had with this.

Good luck.

I guess you realize that ticks can give you more than one kind of germ. If this is news to you, then scroll back thru recent pages of medical forum and find the newby links. Lots of good info in them.

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 03 April 2005).]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there!

I am not sure, how does it work for canadian citizens but I live in WA state and this is what I did.

-Call Igenex 1-800-832-3200

-Ask for a kit to be send to your home
(Forms, tubes and fedex prepaid stamp to send it back to Igenex is included)
You need to mark on the forms what test to do, on my case I did Western blot IgM and Western Blot Igg.

- You need to get an order from your regular MD to do a blood draw, hopefully he/she will agree to do it OR there is a place on the IGENEX order form that says REFERING PHYSICIAN ordering ask your regular MD TO SIGN HIS NAME THERE. Then just walk to a lab with your igenex kit, get your sample and then take it yourself to fedex. Lab people many times doesn't know how to do the sample, instructions are included in the test or they can call Igenex to get more info. Igenex is very helpful to answer any questions.

I hope this help,
lymster

Posts: 303 | From WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And mail it early in the week so it doesn't sit at the post office over the weekend. Very important.

Here's more info on the WB.

Western Blot explanation: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022767.html

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poordamocles
Member # 7123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poordamocles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm not sure I can get an MD to sign the form, but I'm going to try. I appreciate the help.
Posts: 4 | From Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to get tested at Igenex, then you should call and get the test "kit."

The website is at http://www.igenex.com/
with an 800 phone number.
The receptionist is very helpful. Tell her you would like a kit for test # 188 and 189, Western Blot IgG and Western Blot IgM. Ask them to mail it to your home.

The kit has forms, instructions, a postpaid mailing envelope for the Igenex lab (just call FedEx for pickup) and packing materials for the tube of serum.

Just because you call for a kit doesn't obligate you to go through with it. Once you have it in hand, and read the instructions, you'll see that all you really need from your doctor is his order for "Lyme Western Blot IgG and Western Blot IgM" written on one of his prescription forms.

You can have the blood drawn and spun down at any lab, or at the doctor's office.
Do it on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, so that the blood gets to the lab by Friday.
Igenex doesn't want to do the tests on "old" blood, as may mess up the results.

Once I told the doc that I'd be paying for it myself ($180 for the two tests) and that I'd take care of calling FedEx for pickup, he had fewer objections.

Really, the main objections all seemed to be that "We've never done this before."
And "Why don't you just have this test done at a local lab?"

For ANYONE who is considering the Western Blot tests at Igenex, getting the "kit" is an easy first step.

Go to http://www.igenex.com/ and look around. They have background info on the lab, and articles about Lyme and Western Blot interpretation.

Hope this helps.
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poordamocles
Member # 7123

Thanks, Carol.
okie lyme
Member # 7130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okie lyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol is right.
I just called IgeneX this morning and they are shipping the kit to me. Take it to doc and mail it off. They pay, here in the states shipping both ways.
Surley there is a doc who will sign and get the blood drawn??
Good luck!

[This message has been edited by okie lyme (edited 04 April 2005).]

Posts: 60 | From Enid, OK USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doxydave
Member # 6366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doxydave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can afford it, get a PCR as well. I believe that one of the reasons Bb avoids the blood is because of the immune system.

So either the Wb will be +ve (antibody test) OR the PCR (direct detection DNA test) because if the antibodies are not present, the Bb has no problems being in the blood.

Just my opinion though. Can anyone else comment on this?

Also, for some reason, it is best if you get the blood drawn in the evening.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get the Bowen test done. Have your doctor call 1-727-937-9077 and get set up with the test kit. You will actually see the pictures of what is in your blood. it is really creepy. They will send the results by fax within 24 hours after they receive your blood and you do not have to take antibiotics to do this. Best test around. They just received their patent in January for the lyme test.
Also, if you have the HME, HGE and babesia, they will show you those pictures also.
The pictures will be sent about a week later. Get copies of these pictures.

Much wellness to you.

[This message has been edited by MammaLyme (edited 05 April 2005).]

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Bowen labs. They just received their patent for the lyme test in Jan. 2005. They also test for the HME and HGE. Have your doctor call 1-727-937-9077 to order the kit. Only send the blood Mon-Thurs so the blood does not sit there.

I took all the other tests. This is the best on around. You get your results withing 24 hrs. after they receive your blood. Then your pictures are sent in about a week. Go to www.lymediseaseinformation.com and look at the Pfizer pamphlet. These are the pictures of the coinfections you will see. The test costs $250 and you can take the donation off of your taxes. You can also use Visa or Mastercard.
You want the Serial Dilution test.
The RIBb test looks specifically for the Borrelia burgdorferi antigen. Other tests such as the WB and Elisa look for the antibody response in the patient's blood.

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

UP for the blood draw from Bowen

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement