LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Having a Lumbar Puncture....any advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having a Lumbar Puncture....any advice?
thislittlepiggie
Member # 4521

Icon 9 posted      Profile for thislittlepiggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all-
I am a bit nervous about having a lumbar puncture tomorrow and wondered if anyone has been through this with any sage advice. I have had so many tests (as I am sure everyone has) but this one gives me a bit of the heebie jeebies. Anything to offer would be appreciated. thanks!

Posts: 29 | From manchester, NH, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 2 of them and with no problems. It really wasn't that bad. The main problem is having to lay flat of your back for 3-4 hours following the procedure. Then they bring in food for you to eat...it's hard to eat laying flat!
They did mine in the hospital both times. Done by the radiologist, so they can see where to go with the needle between the bones. I could see it on the film, the bones, spinal cord, all of it.
He said there is about 12 oz. of fluid in there and we make that much per day.
That stuff is clear, just like water, although a little thicker. They took several large tubes of mine.
They deaden the area 1st with lidocaine, you don't feel a thing.
I didn't feel the procedure was all that bad, overall.
Melinda

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, but you might not appreciate my opinion, which is not to get one.

I have neurolyme and there is no information that a spinal tap could have provided that would change my current reality.

I am really glad I've chosen not to have one, especially since my spinal column has already been invaded once for back surgery and probably will be again soon.

A spinal tap isn't required for a lyme diagnosis. If your sx are responding to antibiotics, chances are good that your problem is lyme and not a neurological disease that spinal taps are generally used to rule out.

Please give some serious thought to what you're really trying to accomplish with this procedure. What information do you need that you don't already have? Is this information likely to change your treatment?

Maybe there's still time to bail out and save your tailbone. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

[This message has been edited by Sue vG (edited 04 April 2005).]

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winsomme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winsomme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had one and did get a pretty bad headache, but survived okay.

i was afraid to take anything for it, but finally took some Motrin and it helped.

i know that you have to stay hydrated, but don't over dose on liquids because that will make you go to the bathroom and actually have the reverse effect.

but drink maybe some Gatorade because that has electrolytes in it as well, and some water.

and lie still for a long time afterwards. i doubt that they will let you get up, but that is important.

i know that there are other techniques to avoid the headaches or other problems. hopefully some others will post on this.

i think there is something called a bloodpatch. i'm not exactly sure what that does.

i'm sure others will post.

thanks
bill

Posts: 127 | From MA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this for something caused by lyme? Or something unrelated? What is the problem being addressed? If it is not for lyme, what does your lyme doc say?
You should ask lots of questions, it would seem to me; it sounds pretty invasive and might compromise your energy just when you most need that energy to fight the lyme and any other infections you may picked up from the ticks. Be sure you have a lyme-knowledgeable doc advising you on this.
I hope you get the best treatment!
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I am curious too as to the reason for you having to have the spinal tap if you don't mind us asking. I have never had one done, but a friend of mine has. She says that having something to drink both before and after the procedure with lots of caffeine in it (like Mountain Dew) really helped a whole lot with the headaches and such. I wish you all the best though!

Nancy

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ms. Myoclonus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Myoclonus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
Spinal taps are good for checking for MS, and other potential neurological problems. It is only 20% reliable for picking up Lyme disease. My spinal fluid was normal although most of my symptoms are heavily neurological.

The procedure was not painful, and I was semi-conscious through it. I did have problems with acid reflux afterwards due to having to eat and lie flat for several hours. You might have some tums handy just in case.

Best wishes,
Ms. Myo

Posts: 122 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thislittlepiggie
Member # 4521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thislittlepiggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your responses.
To clarify my situation, I am having the procedure because my neurological symptoms have gotten signficantly worse and I have developed some new and unusual symptoms that my LLMD is a bit concerned about. I have had a brain MRI to rule out MS or Lyme lesions and that was negative. Because I am NOT responding as well over the past 9 months with various trials of abs, he would still like to be sure that there is nothing beyond the Lyme (and babesia, etc.)going on and this would be a more confirmative test. It will also let us know the level of "infection" and perhaps lead to me what new direction of treatment to head towards. We have put this off and done lots of other investigation, but we are down to this at this point and I have a lot of faith in my LLMD as well as the NEUROLLMD who is doing the procedure. Just hope to get something good out of it!
I really appreciate the suggestions. Does not sound quite as frightening anymore. Thanks to all of you. lj

Posts: 29 | From manchester, NH, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake has had 2 LPs and Jordan has had 5 LPs.

I think having an LP for Lyme testing is not a good idea.

LPs are the only thing that have reduced my kids' headaches. (I still think they have increased intracranial pressure.)

The fluid was tested when they had their LPs and nothing was found.

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Member # 18960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suki444     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I just wanted to tell you my experience...Dr B ordered a lumbar puncture for me to check for demylineation (M.S.) and to get pcr's on spinal fluid for Bartonella etc.

I would have only allowed the test to be done for him as he knew the correct labs to use...incidentally the fluid was negative for Bartonella and showed I was not demylineating but had a high WBC showing chronic meningitis.

I got a spinal headache whish was very bad so to avoid this lie absolutely flat for hours after the procedure and do not even raise your head...not everyone gets this but if you do it's pretty painful.

BW
Emma

Posts: 37 | From Whitehead, Northern Ireland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was worth doing to rule out other conditions, but didn't help in diagnosing my bb.

My MD gave me an Rx for Ativan to make sure I was relaxed. He said that a LP in a patient who is relaxed goes much easier than a patient who is tense.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thislittlepiggie:
Thank you all for your responses.
To clarify my situation, I am having the procedure because my neurological symptoms have gotten signficantly worse and I have developed some new and unusual symptoms that my LLMD is a bit concerned about. I have had a brain MRI to rule out MS or Lyme lesions and that was negative. Because I am NOT responding as well over the past 9 months with various trials of abs, he would still like to be sure that there is nothing beyond the Lyme (and babesia, etc.)going on and this would be a more confirmative test. It will also let us know the level of "infection" and perhaps lead to me what new direction of treatment to head towards. We have put this off and done lots of other investigation, but we are down to this at this point and I have a lot of faith in my LLMD as well as the NEUROLLMD who is doing the procedure. Just hope to get something good out of it!
I really appreciate the suggestions. Does not sound quite as frightening anymore. Thanks to all of you. lj

Littlepiggie just explained why she's doing the LP. It's not for diagnosis.

If it were for diagnosis, I'd say NO in capital letters. [ ]

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thislittlepiggie
Member # 4521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thislittlepiggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again-
I'm thankful for everyone's opinions, and truly suprised at how much they vary!

You should know that I am one of those "fortunate" ones who has had a positive Lyme titer twice, and babesia as well, so my MDs do not have any doubts about that diagnosis.

However, after years of treatment I have gone from "typical" Lyme symptoms to some "unusual" symptoms that could suggest other possibilities in conjunction with the Lyme. In fact, one of the other tests they may end up doing is a scan for an adrenal tumor, but this procedure came first.

I do mirror everyone's concern about having any unneccessary or "useless" procedures that really never quantify results or change the course of your treatment. Not to mention being disappointing when a test does nothing to help clarify things, we all know that the cost of all of this mounts and certainly we have to be careful where we put our time and energy and money so that we make the most of our treatment.

It is great to see the concern for each other and for informing those who might not be aware of all there is to think about. Again, I really appreciate everyone's comments so THANKS.

TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cant find an adrenal tumor ( pheochromocytoma I believe you are suggseting?) in a spinal tap.

If you need more information on adrenal tumors ( and the doctors that can PROPERLY locate them- much like finding a LLMD)

please let me know. I have an adrenal tumor ( except mine isnt on my adrenal) 90 percent rule- 90 percent ARE on the adrenals, 10 percent arent.

They havent located mine yet. THinking of doing a MIGI scan?

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thislittlepiggie
Member # 4521

Dear Crime-
I think you may have misunderstood...I am not having the spinal tap in order to look for an adrenal tumor.

They are ruling out other possibilities through the results of the tap, and if those possibilities have not been defined, they have suggested that we consider looking for an adrenal tumor as the next possibility. It just was not as likely to be the cause of my symptoms, so it is being checked last.

In that case, they will be scheduling an abdominal scan and I will have to see what happens there.

Dear Bryan-
I can understand your concern about invasive procedures. I have worked in the medical field for twenty years and have learned that there are generally many alternatives to just about anything out there.

In fact, virtually all of my Lyme treatment has been "unconventional" and includes lots of alternatives that my LLMD has thankfully been aware of and suggested to me.

This is the first truly invasive thing I have considered, and only because I have had a number of other tests over the past few months which have not yielded any helpful results.

I do, however, believe that sometimes the last place that you look may be the place that you find what you are looking for, and sometimes that means having something done that is not as pleasant and certainly was not my first choice.

I greatly appreciate the information on Rife since I had heard a lot about it but had not read up on it yet. If I find that I am "only" battling Lyme I will gladly get the book and research it further.

Thank you both for your help and concern.

mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stay FLAT!!! make sure to request that they record the 'opening pressure'. The doctor did not do this for my son's first LP.

None of my son's LPs showed positive for Lyme, but he still has it... LPs are good to check if you have increased intracranial pressure though (which is why you want to know the opening pressure).

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stay FLAT!!! make sure to request that they record the 'opening pressure'. The doctor did not do this for my son's first LP.

None of my son's LPs showed positive for Lyme, but he still has it... LPs are good to check if you have increased intracranial pressure though (which is why you want to know the opening pressure).

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 11 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

first free
Member # 7140

Icon 9 posted      Profile for first free     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I had a spinal tap a few years back. The sp is not the hard part. It was the severe headache that developed afterwards that sent me back to the hospital. It was so severe I could not stop vomiting. I ended up having to get a procedure called a blood patch. This is when ond doc takes blood out of your arm in a syringe and passes it to another doc to put in your spine to stop the leaking. The attending neuro. sent me home soon after the lumbar. I think my regular nero. would have kept me there so I would not have moved. I think it's very important to stay flat and still.

Posts: 61 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a spinal tap in 1995 to rule out MS. I also have the lesions in my brain. No one knew it was lyme even though I had the bite and the picture of the bite.
I went to 16 different docs until I finally had a positive Elisa and a two out of three LUAT positive in 2000. Thank God for the Bowen test where it showed the pictures of the babesia, HME, HGE and lyme. Then you really know what you are dealing with.

Get the Bowen test instead. Yes, you do have to lay flat so you do not get the dreaded headache. You probably need a good coinfection test instead. I went to 16 different doctors and this included all types.

Save your spine and opt out.

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess today's the day, so she won't reply right away..

But wondering if the NeuroLLMD is at Dartmouth Hitchcock? (I noticed the NH location).

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thislittlepiggie -- hope your tap went well. I guess today is the day.

I was just curious about the "unconventional" symptoms you mentioned. Would you be willing to share what they are?

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement