LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Search function still not working, anyone else upset?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Search function still not working, anyone else upset?
lhm312
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this doesn't belong here, but thought it would get the most attention.

I had sent several emails to [email protected] and she finally wrote back. It takes her weeks to respond.

She's trying to tell me the search is working because she tried it, and asked which words I had tried. Guess she figures none of us know how to do a search after all this time.

It's been a number of weeks since the search feature hasn't worked. Can others who are annoyed as well please send email to [email protected] to express their upset?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too.

Don't understand how she can get it to work and we can't.

I always hate to complain about things when this is a free service being maintained by a few volunteers. But it would be really nice if search worked. That was one of the many things that Lymenet did better than yahoo groups. Could never find anything when searching yahoo lyme forum.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suz9601
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suz9601   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in. I am new here and have tried on numerous occasions to search and 90% of the time it won't work. When it does work, it will take it soooooo long to find it. Very frustrating.
Posts: 146 | From Midwest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in as well. It is NOT working

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I posted about this more than a month ago, but since the feature isn't working I can't bring the link up.

Jenifer emailed me a week or so ago and said it was working. I have gotten it to work, but it's VERY slow and tricky.

What I found is that if you do the search, then when it just sits there, take your mouse and click on the page....anywhere. [well, almost]

Sometimes it will then bring up the items you're wanting.

but it definitely needs some work

This really hinders our ability to help people when we can't find links for them.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty annoyed about this, too. Since we can't search, we don't benefit from previous information and end up having to ask questions all over again and not get as much information. Frustrating when we KNOW there were discussions about certain subjects before but can't ACCESS them. Should more of us e-mail someone about this? They can't ignore it forever.

--Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

Lyme Disease Awareness Products

Click here to join Lyme Pals.

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zuzuu
Member # 6826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zuzuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad someone brought this up, as I'm pretty new here and thought I was doing something wrong. I really want to use the Search function as I hate to ask questions that have already been hashed over a few times. But I guess I'm going to have to. By the way, the people on this forum are really great to help everyone the way they do. I appreciate it.
Posts: 24 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She probably asked you the words you used, so she could try to debug the problem. She has to try to replicate the issue you had. I believe it is good news that she asked what you had entered.

quote:
Originally posted by lhm312:
I know this doesn't belong here, but thought it would get the most attention.

I had sent several emails to [email protected] and she finally wrote back. It takes her weeks to respond.

She's trying to tell me the search is working because she tried it, and asked which words I had tried. Guess she figures none of us know how to do a search after all this time.

It's been a number of weeks since the search feature hasn't worked. Can others who are annoyed as well please send email to [email protected] to express their upset?

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I've found is -- it works fine at 3 in the morning, when there is no user load on the site.

Otherwise, it churns away and often times out.

So yes, I'll email her too and let her know.

I'd be interested in how much the traffic on this site has grown. A lot, I think, which puts stress on the entire system.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the more people who email her, the better
Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it would indeed be good to have the search function work . Well at least they have it "looking good": -- the story of life in America, eh? Now a search function shouldn't be so hard to write, An internal engine really is needed here, because, for example, google's "spiders" (categorization programs) can't get past the password protection. It really would be very good to be able to search, especially when people first find the site and are looking for answers. I used it many times- I may have had problems at one time, but then it got fixed, and was very helpful.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richtersl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richtersl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a question: for those who are having problems with search, how are you connecting to the Internet? Via a telephone modem?

I ran a search yesterday at work and it worked fine. It was slow as molasses but it worked. We have a network connection to the Internet and it's normally pretty speedy. But it was really dragging its feet yesterday with the search.

For those of you using telephone modems it may not appear to work because you're probably timing out before your search results are being displayed.

If the moderator can get it work, the moderator either has a network connection, cable connection, or DSL connection to the Internet.

I'm not sure how often the servers here are maintained. But it sounds like this one needs some maintenance.

Linda

Posts: 749 | From New Hope, PA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can successfully do a search under seeking a doctor, but that's it. It has been so frustrating the last couple months.

Pam

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! richtersl !!!!! How ya been ? didn't know youwere still around lymenet....

Hope all is good with you.

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The site is getting bigger and busier and what worked before may not work too well now.

Eventually, there will be a need for better equipment and software servicing the website. These will cost money and perhaps that is why it is delayed.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think you have put your finger on the probable cause. Heard there were some astronomical number of hits on this website, many more than posts would suggest.

Plus, they didn't get the kind of donations last time they were looking for, to pay fees and buy equipment. And, I think relying on volunteers for a long time, the same ones, can be iffy. Getting qualified help is always a problem for efforts like this. How many of us are doing volunteer work of any magnitude for years at a time?

On the subject of connection, I have dial up but search did work better in the past than now.

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 05 April 2005).]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

I have high speed internet service, and everything else is working.

I am still getting "website not responding" when I try a search, and have tried at different times of the day.

Maybe if Jenifer can at least tell us what's happening and when it might be resolved, we would feel better.

In the meantime, please contact her so she can understand how many of us are affected.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I have DSL and I recently have been able to get results on the search function, but it's extremely slow.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im upset,,, 9 out of 10 it does not work
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I totally agree. I've tried for 3 months with NO success using my dial-up modem.

Also, I thought with the money donated last fall that they did get enough money to do what they intended too.

I'm all for emailing Jennier.

Bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrisKraft
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrisKraft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote that LymeNet move over to the discussion engine used by the Canadian Lyme group. It seems much better on many levels.

Any seconds to this motion?
http://www.canlyme.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=6ad378716ef1e7fab8b3f6183699ee0e

KrisKraft

Posts: 245 | From Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I have a regular phone line for the computer
and the search function has rarely worked.

I "gave up" the search.

Its very frustrating when time is very limited.

This disuades people from continuing with a subject matter on a thread in an in-depth manner, as eventually they find themselves having to comb-through threads searching for a topic, V-e-r-y time consuming process.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joycejcwat101
Member # 6848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joycejcwat101   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also get "Web site not responding" no matter what or how I try to do the search. I also have a dial up.

Joyce

Posts: 82 | From Pasadena, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Obviously the problem still exists and lots of people are affected.

Has everyone emailed Jenifer to let her know how pervasive it is?

lhm312
Unregistered

up
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just emailed Jenifer about this. Thanks for the reminder.

Bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used yesterday
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It works for me. Always has. If I feel like waiting 5-10 minutes... It takes for freakin ever. Always has but these past few months, it seems to be even longer.

I have cable modem by the way. Our network is fast, so it's not our side that is the problem.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was just my computer, but I can't
get into the search engine either.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danq
Member # 2126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem, dear Lymies, is twofold:
1) lots of people on a limited resource
2) lots of posts to search through - over 105,000 in Medical.
3) the search is looking through all the text of every post!
4) the equipment's probably inadequate - and the software is old, too.

How's that twofold? Two folds gets you four sections - try it with a piece of paper...

I just tried a search here - at midnight (left coast time).
Medical - 105,000 posts : 2 minutes.
Computer Questions - 1160 posts: 4 seconds.
Those figures are going to be quite different during the daytime when all you Eastern Lymeheads hit the keyboards!

Now about Point Four above: equipment can't get any better without more $$$$. That's a tough one for us, 'cause one of the wondrous aspects of this disease is how it saps our ability to make a living. But that's the root problem with your slow search... one of them that is.

For now, to speed up your searches: where it says, "search in", check "Subject Only" when that would do the trick. To make such searches possible, make the subjects succinct and informative.

The other factors are ones that some people aren't gonna like mentioned. That's Redundancy and Long-Windedness. Because the speed of the searches depends on how many topics have to be read, and how long each one is.

Redundancy is when someone posts a question that's been answered 12 times this month. Using the search function can help alleviate that, but we're getting into a chicken-and-egg thing here...

Long-Windedness speaks for itself. Over and over and over. It includes incessant harping on one thing or another, and unending arguments about who's attacking who. Lots more to say on that, but I don't wanna be on the chicken side of this egg...

Dan
Lymetoo is too a goon! ..and ask Tincup which one...

[This message has been edited by danq (edited 09 April 2005).]

Posts: 2420 | From Davis, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenifer
Administrator
Member # 697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to let everyone know, I am aware of the search problem on LymeNet's Flash Discussion Board.

Because there are three different search functions on LymeNet, I did not know that the Flash search was the one that was not working properly. I am now aware of that.

All explanations as to the problem are valid. LymeNet has grown substantially! This means there is more traffic and more posts. This is probably why the search worked faster at 3am when traffic is slower. The servers are old and LymeNet has invested in new servers which are in the process of replacing the old ones, thanks to donations!

Because of the slowness of searching every post, faster connections will experience less wait time. I have a cable modem which is probably why it was hard for me to understand what the problem was at first since I was not experiencing it.

To minimize the search wait time, please try to define your search information to a specific forum. Even if this means you have to run the search over again for each forum, this may reduce your wait time and the "website not responding" error message. Also, try to do the search within the past few days. That means less posts the search has to look at, meaning faster results.

I am very dedicated to LymeNet. I do try to put as much time as I can into helping LymeNet users and I apoligize for the delay recently in getting back to some people. I have not had much spare time recently and I feel bad that I could not put more time into LymeNet. My schedule should be lightening up in a couple weeks though!

Please bare with us while we try to fix this problem and update LymeNet. In the mean time, please try the suggestions I have made above.

Sincerely,
Jenifer
[email protected]

Posts: 318 | From Upstate New York, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

I give up. I followed Jenifer's suggestions and am still getting "website not responding."

I have high speed internet service. This is very frustrating.

ibrakeforticks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ibrakeforticks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dial-up, searching never seems to work. I just tried again, limiting the search to Medical Questions and to 30 days, and it still didn't work. For now maybe the search option should be removed.

I for one would pay a fee to get access to the wealth of information that seems to be in old posts.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

It is now working for me, with dial up. Does take a little longer than in the past. I am sure that if they whack off a lot of the older posts, it will be faster, but then we lose good stuff. If people would just post stuff in the right forum, and avoid the other aggravations that Dan identified, there would be less of a problem.

Do I need to point out that this thread should have been on general instead? But then, you already knew that. People who don't bother to post anywhere except medical are part of the problem. Please don't say that it is too hard for lymies to switch forums. This is really silly. It is no harder than switching threads in this forum.

If you are willing to pay a fee, then donate to lymenet when they ask for donations.

Grumpy response, I know, but that old saying about looking a gift horse in the mouth applies here.

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 16 April 2005).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement