LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ketek and Omnicef

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ketek and Omnicef
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 5 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Well, I saw my LLMD on Monday and he's decided that I really need to be back on antibiotics. I've been off them since October because my body just couldn't handle them and I needed to build up before going back on them.

So, he's putting me on Ketek and Omnicef. This is the first time I'll take either of them and I'm just wondering about other people's experiences with them. (Wish the search function was working.) My stomach is generally pretty sensitive and I've had trouble tolerating any oral meds lately (they just make me nauseous, no vomiting, though) so I'm worried about them upsetting my stomach.

Any experiences or info would be greatly appreciated.

Peace and healing,
Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

Lyme Disease Awareness Products

Click here to join Lyme Pals.

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't write long, but these are two of my three maintenance abx for Lyme. I'm also dealing with co-infections.

If these work for you (and they are the only abx, along with flagyl, that have worked long term for me), it should take a month or two to really start feeling the effects. The first two or three weeks could be harsh, so hang tough.

I have to take ketek 400mg/2x day, because I'm short and can't take a full blast dose. You are probably taller--everyone is--but you might want to build up to the 800mg dose over a few days.

The ketek caused a two week herx in the form of an endless cold. The omnicef made my hormones go haywire, and I spent a week eating pickles with chocolate mousse, cheddar cheese hunks, and salted cashews. Yuck, uck, it's so gross even to write.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply. I should have put the dosages. The Ketek is 400mg twice a day and the Omnicef is 300mg twice a day. I'm starting the Omnicef first (want to go slowly into them and my pharmacy didn't have enough Ketek to fill the Rx so that made the choice pretty easy of which to start first!). I'm starting that tomorrow and I'll see how that goes. If I seem okay with it, I'll add the Ketek in about a week, but I'm going to take it slow to hopefully keep the side effects minimal (yeah, like that ever actually happens).

Other experiences and input would be great!

--Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else have any experience with these abx?

--Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. They're great.

Started the omnicef first. I'm taller than Liz28 (who isn't?) so I could do the full dose. The omnicef hit me pretty hard the first 2 weeks, mainly intense fatigue, brainfog, achiness, and crankiness (but about that crankiness -- who can tell anymore? Maybe that's just how I am). Then I felt pretty good.

Well, we can't have than, can we. So I started on Ketek, again at full dosage. I didn't feel bad on Ketek -- initially, a small downturn and brainfog, but nothing truly horrid.

My stomach handled them both fine. Take them with food--you don't have to, but it's easier on your stomach.

Stopped the Omnicef, and was on bicillin and Ketek for a month. Felt pretty good.

Seeing as how I felt so fine, I started on tinidizole. Don't ask....

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 07 April 2005).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 5 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

I started the Onmicef today, just one dose of 300mg because I'm expecting that my stomach will give me troubles and don't want to overload it too much. Well, after just the one dose, I spent most of the day running for the bathroom. Anyone else experience this unpleasant side effect? I'm taking a high quality pro-biotic about 2 hours after the Omnicef. Just don't like this side effect and I don't think I'll last long if it keeps up. I'll see how it goes tomorrow with one dose again.

--Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joseph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last thing dr L gave me was omnicef.I know its hard but if you are really strict about no sugars,even naturall,no yeasts,it really helps me.If I start eating sugars I get in trouble,if Im strict,no problem(no gatorade its loaded with sugar.Whats up with Winnie now,can he just hang around?
Posts: 308 | From new bedford,Ma. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Hi Joe,

I'm already pretty good about avoiding sugars. I do eat fruit, though, because I just need it in my diet. I'm about 99% sure that my "problems" are from the Omnicef because they started after my first dose of it yesterday morning. I'm hoping that maybe it will let up after I've been on it a little while, but I'm not sure.

Winnie is just hanging out. (For those of you who don't know, Winnie is my port-a-cath - "Winnie the Port".) I'm still trying to get daily IV saline infusions set up (for newly diagnosed neurocardiogenic syncope - NCS) so if I get those approved (my insurance is not being cooperative about it) Winnie will get to come out of hibernation.

--Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

RJPII
Member # 5876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJPII     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I have tried any of these meds. except Tinidazole and I am seeing my LLMD today. I hope to try them soon as well.

Annie - I will let you know how I do, if I start.

Minoucat - You were on Bicillin and Ketek? That sounds like an intriguing combo. to say the least. You sound like you have an LLMD who is ahead of the curve. What state are you from?

Thx

Posts: 77 | From Morris County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RJ--I live in Washington state, but drive 15 hours one way to see my LLMD in California (my parents are on the way, thank heavens). He's excellent. I've been to a lot of docs and have had 4 retire or die, so I consider myself a docconnoisseur.

The Ketek was added 2 months ago after a year of bicillin and coinfection tx; I'm hoping it, and the tinidozole, are the final final final thing I have to do. I've gotten a lot better.

Annie, I'm so sorry that the omnicef was so hard on you. I've had big gut problems (I mean the problems were big) in the past, but by the time I started the omnicef my intestinal system was completely healed. And I'm not chemically sensitive at all, so far. Hope you're doing better soon.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Hi,

Thanks guys. I did two days of 300mg of Omnicef each day and my GI problems were just so bad that I'm taking the weekend off of it. I'll possibly give it another shot on Monday and see if I have the same problem. If I continue to have this problem, I'll just stop the Omnicef and give the Ketek a try. My GI problems are not pleasant to deal with so I really don't feel comfortable trying to stick it out and see if they get better.

Glad you guys have had positive experiences with these meds!

--Annie

------------------

Lyme Out Retreat Website

LymeinME
Member # 6849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeinME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chainsaw - is this Dr. L in NY. I see him and he hasn't mentioned Omnicef.
Posts: 55 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement