LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anyone ever have bicillin quit on them??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone ever have bicillin quit on them??
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
????Been on bicillin for seven months; in the last month or so, I've felt pretty bad...almost like pre-treatment...anyone experience this? do you think it's quitting? I'm so lost right now...any advice i'd greatly appreciate...
tx,
sarah

Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have experience with this?
Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I didn't have that particular experience. But it could be a whole lot of other things, other than bicillin resistance.

What sx are you having?

I always consider yeast as a factor at times like this -- what does your tongue look like? Any other signs of yeast?

Just editing to add -- given the time of year, could you be experiencing a mold problem? Been spending time in any damp and fusty-smelling places recently?

What else is going on for you? What meds and supplements are you on? Anything change in your life recently?

What coinfection tx have you done? Could you be experiencing a bartonella or babs flare?

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 08 April 2005).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried adding promecid?? Thats seems to boost the Penicillin strenght. I have read somewhere (probably here) that some docs have had sucess. Might be a thought to bring up with the old doc

CaliLymer

Posts: 215 | From CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sarah:

I have been on Bicillin since July. I too have been experiencing a return of symptoms and gastrointestinal problems. I am also on Zithromax and Mepron.

After 4 days of discussions with my MD and my very knowledgable nurse, we decided to pulse my meds to see what is going on. My nurse is confident it is yeast and probably leaky gut. So, we are ramping down on the orals first.

My MD also thinks I need a break to heal my gut but wants to try pulsing th Bicillin to see if it is still working. The theory is that 2 weeks off/2 weeks on will give the chetes a chance to come out, party, procreate during the 2 weeks off and then we will slam them with Bicillin for 2 weeks - sort of a chete genocide inside my body. If I herx, it is probable that the Bicillin is still working.

The hope is that by pulsing for a while I will A) clear up the yeast and B) get more bugs by not pushing them further into my central nervous system with a constant flow of meds. We don't know if it will work but, my MD wants to try this, as long as I am willing. I did agree to it. There are a couple of MDs doing this with other meds in my area. We don't know for sure if it works but it seems to make sense.

I have a colleague who has been pulsing Zithromax for about 9 months and is doing quite well.

Food for thought.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nestle
Member # 878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nestle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never felt as though the bicillin shots quit on me.

I was on them for approx. two years. The only reason I quit is because insurance quit paying for them.

I was also taking Biaxin and Doxy with the weekly Bicillin shots.

Karen

Posts: 75 | From Cincinnati, OH, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
horrible arthritis in spine in neck, chest pain, rib pain, twitching eye, memory loss..fatigue. don't think it's yeast, but I could be wrong....don't really know what to do.
Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you on bicillin CR or bicillin LA?

I did bicillin for several months (CR) and it didn't work out for me either. previously IV ceftriaxone and IV azithromyicin had worked wonders. on the bicillin CR, I fell apart which was quite frustrating and difficult because my doctor seemed to think it was the bomb but it didn't work for me at all.

In fact my experience mirrors your experience. I wonder if we see the same doctor! (I see an llmd in new york/CT area)

some people say that bicillin CR isn't effective in late lyme because blood levels are low.

quote:
Originally posted by lifewithlyme:
????Been on bicillin for seven months; in the last month or so, I've felt pretty bad...almost like pre-treatment...anyone experience this? do you think it's quitting? I'm so lost right now...any advice i'd greatly appreciate...
tx,
sarah

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah:

I had all those symptoms return and the gut problems. Yeast can mimic Lyme symptoms.

I'll let you know how my pulsing experiment goes. Personally, I think the Bicillin is still working. I have had some awesome improvement on it. Adding Zith to the mix in late December is when the gut troubles began along with a return of symptoms.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been over two years now and it still seems to be working well taken with Biaxin (be sure it's Bicillin LA). The course of Lyme and its recovery can be pretty variable and I try not to overreact to the ups and downs. You might try drinking Detox Tea made by Yogi Tea Company. It helps a lot of us with herxes. If it helps you, that will be information.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Bicillin LA for nearly 4 months now. I wouldn't say it's stopped working for me, because I hadn't yet noticed any change on it. However, the last 2.5 weeks have been the worst for me with all symptoms from the last 15 years returning and flooring me completely. Also some new symptoms like odd breathing (can breathe, but feel like it's 'manual' rather than 'automatic' if you know what I mean) and a few other new unnerving symptoms, which may be herxing or side effect, I just don't know. But, I hope I am going to see a positive change soon.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Thanks so much, guys...i'm going to try and tough it out....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement