LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Growing with Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Growing with Lyme
Annette5
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4717

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Annette5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a nephew who is 14, Is being on meds for lyme and Babeoisis going to stop growth?

He should be growing and My sister is concerned.

Thanks
Annette

Posts: 117 | From Greensburg Pa USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think those treatments will interfere with growth, but you should ask the doctor.

You can look up all the info on the meds, including side effects and warnings at http://www.rxlist.com/

I am sure other people here will have some experience with this.

I do know that kids get their growth spurts at different ages.

Ann - OH

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hwlatin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hwlatin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anything, it is possible that Lyme could effect growth hormones, I would be more concerned about that than the meds causing a problem. I think it is important that all Lyme kids get good checks by a Lyme friendly endocrinologist.
Posts: 533 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie-MA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie-MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was concerned about the same thing for my now 5 yr. old. I remember asking our ped. (who is very Lyme-friendly and proactive) and she said she did not feel that either would affect his growth. (He started being treated at 1 1/2 and then more aggressively and continuously at 3 1/2.)

He started on meds again several months ago but we just learned at his well check-up that he grew 3 inches in the past year, more than the average.

I would definitely ask, because I understand your concern about both aspects--the Lyme and the meds--but I think it's okay.

Julie

Posts: 307 | From Byfield, MA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement