LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Women only! Hormonal dysfunction due to Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women only! Hormonal dysfunction due to Lyme?
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an early menopause at age 45 (my mom was 55) and my Lyme symptoms flared badly then. Also, in my late 30's I went 10 months without a period? Have any of you ladies experienced any of this? I've wondered about it for years and now I finally have the right women to ask.
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suz9601
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suz9601   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am only 27 and my hormones have bottomed out. I am low across the board from estrogen, progesterone, cortisol, etc. I often wondered if it was from some sort of infection. I don't know if it gets better w/treatment or not. Anyway, you are not alone and I think there is a connection.
Posts: 146 | From Midwest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hangontilldone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hangontilldone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having major problems with my hormones and have been for a while. I'm getting help now...but still fight with this problem.
Posts: 160 | From IN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here. I am working with a nutritional medicine doc who is prescribing natural hormones. But they still fluctuate all over the place and I cannot keep them regulated.

One test will show low estrogen, then the next will show high. My family history shows typically early menopause. One sis at age 35, one at age 40. I was 45 before I had problems, but Lyme seemed to be the precipitating event.

Think my levels are "sputtering". And actually my body is doing it's job when my health is at it's best. IMO there is a direct relationship between Lyme and my hormones.

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not alone here either.

I stopped getting my period at the age of 26 when I first got sick.. BUT it did return as soon as I started abx.

My hormones are all over the place though.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hormones are a real mess as well. have been for years! Im hoping that things will settle down a bit with antibiotics.

Nancy

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My periods were regular but very painful before getting Lyme. After I got Lyme I did not have one for 7 months. It returned the was the same month I started having more energy and was able to begin exercising.

Now I'm on my third cycle since then and even though I've stopped bleeding my breasts are still very sore and I'm bloated. I did have less cramps that ever before. This all points to the Lyme doing something to my hormones.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks girls, anyone else?
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this is graphic- be warned!!!!!!! (Now, _this_ is personal*)!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the things that I wonder if it was Lyme long before my last tick bite when I got Lymed for sure was that for years I had an unknown reason for what would happen right before onset of my menses. I did have a tick bite on the head in WIsconsin when I was a kid and but I had normal menses until I was 19 and developed suspected lupus (they kept testing but I never got ANA just all symptoms which went away with penicillin for pnemonia!) So after my "lupus" my period began to go away. 48 hours before onset I owuld run a sudden high fever until I passed out which was the weird thing which baffled docs. Then my period actually consisted of about a teaspoon of blood over 3 days and they told me they thought I was going through early menopause!!! They actually told me they believed I was infertile and when I wanted to get pregnant they were going to "jumpstart" my ovaries" with a bunch of fertility drugs when I got pregnant (was trying!) right away. No doc could figure it out, but years later when I got Lymed for sure, I began to have monster PMS rages exactly 48 hours pre-period almost down to the minute.
I had MONSTER PMS. Never had it before my bulls-eye my whole life, then TA DA!!!!!!!
Tried calcium, etc, no good. After mucho Lyme treatment and when on Mepron, I had major clotting (sorry folks- told oyu graphic) where just tons of blood clots would hit at one day and everyday- tons of blood. After years of abx, I began ot have normal periods again. Now they are normal, at least before I got pregnant again and had the baby. But I expect them to be normal again because they were before I got pregnant. ANywayz, pretty confusing reading over this-

timeline-
tick bite head wisconsin as kid
period normal
suspected lupus age 19
period began to be weird
go away
weird fever pre-menses
hardly any blood
got pregnant & baby anyway
got Lymed & Ehr & Babs
got major PMS first time in life
at same time fever used to hit
48 hours pre-menses
then got treated
period returned to normal
for first time since age 19!!!
oh- and PMS gone*)!*)!*)!

But my period didn't get normal until my treatment for Babesiosis- Mepron- and at first on it it got really weird with the sudden blood thing-

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
p.s. and also I have always had incredibly high levels of testosterone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHich is supposed to make for a high sex drive and an increased rate of cancer I think- in women-

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

OK, girls--and all you guys are kindly asked to leave now!!! GET OUT

I had a rough and early menopause and for 7 years I thought my problems were hormone related and am became an expert on hormones and HRT. Yes, I use bio-identical HRT and probably will for a long time to come.

Connie-you said your estrogen is all over the place. Of course. It is different at different times of the day and at different times of the month. You would have to check it at the same time of day and at the same point in your cycle and even then there will be some variation.

California Lyme I have had some hormone experts tell me that testosterone is cancer protective. The reason there is a wide range in the normal values is some people have high levels and some have low. Just because yours is in the high range doesn't mean a thing. Testosterone is highest in the am and drops throughout the day. Want a low test result-take the sample late in the day.

henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

[Edited]

Wishes to all to feel better.
 -

[ 08. December 2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: henson2 ]

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep wifes done that either bleeding to much or not at all or to freqent.

Low thyroid she now takes synthroid low dose ps she's in her 30's.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janet, actually my doc always checks the hormone levels at the same time each month. Fasting, first thing in the AM, between the 20th and 25th. My estrogen levels still all over the place. Once they were 365, and then the next month - on the same meds - 40. Same type of thing on the progesterone. I take DHEA, but only 1/4 of a 25 mg pill, as my testosterone goes up too much if I take more that that.

IMO, and also in the doc's opinion, that's lots of variation considering the last 2 samples were drawn at the exact same calendar day of the month.

The doc told, me to experiment with the estrogen cream, take it more depending on how I feel that day. So maybe 1/4 a cc one day, and a whole the next. I have bout gotten to the point where I can tell where my hormones are that day.

And the more ill I happen to be at any given time from illness flareup, herx, etc, the lower my hormones will run. Which further complicates how I feel.

And the doc is the one who used the term "sputtering". No matter how non-medical that term is, it still fits me to a tee.

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dx'd with PCOS about 4 years ago. Now though I am sure that is a result of the chronic Lyme.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
first free
Member # 7140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for first free     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After lyme everything went wacky. Diagnosed with hypothyridism and taking levoxyl. But all the symtoms are still there on a level of about a 10. I also developed a breast lump. The surgeon said it was a blocke duct. She removed it along w/some more ducts. I was 35. She said it was the strangest thing; it looked (inside breast) like someone in menopause. I was like alrighty then. I put this on the thyroid post...there's a endocrinologist in L.A. that my one of my psych. patients went to and she's much better. He (the psych) half jokingly asked if I thought I could go-because he thinks my probles are caused by lyme and hormones. The only problem is it's in L.A. and I'm in St.Louis, MO. Anyway his website is goodhormonehealth.com. I thought there was a lot of good information. If anyone feels like it-could they look at this website and see what they think about him? I e-mailed him and found out he doesn't accept insurance and the first hour is a $300 not including labs. This is a lot of dough and we would have to use our home equity loan. I'm just scared. It seems like most of our money goes to me being sick and tired. I have 2 liitle boys and I always say I'm going to start them a "therapy" fund`not a college fund. Okay that's enough from me for now.
Posts: 61 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaunabhealthy
Member # 7189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaunabhealthy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My period stopped for 4 years. The docs said it must be 'stress' and that it is 'normal'.
I saw a show on a woman with HIV and her periods became irregular too - so maybe it is immune/hormone linked...

Posts: 19 | From vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement