LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best prophylaxis tx/tick on child?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best prophylaxis tx/tick on child?
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one of you found an engorged tick on your 13 yr old child, what is the best advice you could give for preventative abx. Thank you.
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrisKraft
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrisKraft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was my kid, I'd send the tick in for testing, and I'd put him on 20-30 days of antibiotics ASAP.

Today I spoke with the head of Infectious Diseases at a major California HMO, and he said that lately he's been leaning towards "prophylaxis", i.e., treating with 20 days of doxy before symptoms occur, because recent studies have found it to effective.

In the meantime, watch carefully for flu-like symptoms. Take your child's temperature every day for the next two weeks. And take a photo of any rashes that might occur. This will save you a lot of grief later, if you visit a doubting doctor who doesn't want to treat for Lyme.

KrisKraft

[This message has been edited by KrisKraft (edited 13 April 2005).]

Posts: 245 | From Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, kriskraft. Anyone else? Please be specific. My child is 13 yrs old and weighs 170 lbs. I will not wait for tests to come back.
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Jones likes Amoxicillin with Zithromax. I don't know the dosages for a child that age, but perhaps you could call Jones office and get some feedback.

Dr. Jones is one of the few doctors who has given permission to give out his name here.

Dr Charles Ray Jones
New Haven, CT
Phone: 203 - 772 - 1123
FAX: 1 - 203 - 772 - 0682

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchbraid
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchbraid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been around in a while and thought I'd stop by and see what's been going on in Lymenet world.

When my daughter had a tick on her last summer, I immediately put tea tree oil on the tick and then removed the tick. Then I soaked the area with tea tree oil.

I started giving her Ester C 500mg, garlic, Wellness Formula and Silver Biotics. She stayed on this regimen for 10 days. She's never showed any signs of infection.

That was a huge relief after all that she had been through 2 years ago with IV's, orals, etc.

We are no longer into the abx route and have found natural alternatives to be as effective if not more effective. We feel that it is always better to support the immune system rather than attack it.

frenchbraid

------------------
Stay positive. Smile. People care.

[This message has been edited by frenchbraid (edited 13 April 2005).]

Posts: 948 | From Northwest, NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting Tea Tree oil on the tick is most likely a very bad idea. Any kind of aggressive action toward the tick has the possibility of making it regurgitate into the bite. NOT what you want to happen! It just increases the chance of infection.

Applying the oil to the bite site is fine. However, it is possible that Frenchbraid's daughter didn't show symptoms because the tick that bit her was not infected. It is a gamble to use the natural treatments.

Unfortunately, antibiotics are the only thing with studies proving their effectiveness. They are most likely to be effective in an early infection like this one.

Having personally tried high dose vitamin C, Wellness Formula, and silver, I would not recommend them as a first line defense. They may be helpful adjuncts.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frenchbraid
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frenchbraid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason for using tea tree oil is for its penetrating properties. When tea tree oil is applied, it is absorbed. That is a great defense if the tick "releases" any saliva. The tea tree oil is already below the skin surface when the tick is removed and will kill any bacteria that comes in contact with it.

Most topical abx remedies are just that - they are "topical" and stay on the surface of the skin. Tea tree oil however, penetrates the skin and is absorbed by the body. It is a great defense for this purpose.

frenchbraid

------------------
Stay positive. Smile. People care.

Posts: 948 | From Northwest, NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie-MA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie-MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After going through what my five year old and I have gone through, when my 7 yr. old had a tick attached--and not at all engorged--I called Dr. Jones and had him call in one month of amox.

I will not take any chances anymore. I know there are concerns about kids and abx, but my younger son has been on and off them for over two years now; I would rather have one month that might not have been necessary than all those months and anguish. It's not worth the risk.

AND I believe all LLMDs feel it needs to be 30 days; anything less is not helpful and can even wreak more havoc.

Julie

Posts: 307 | From Byfield, MA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement