LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can anybody help me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can anybody help me?
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hop you don't mind if I implore anyone who knows about such things to answer a non-lyme question. (of course, everythings connected; it probably stems from a weakined immune system, etc.)
I have a nasty infected splinter in my finger. I'm not surprisd it got infected. It was from wood scraps on a filthy garage floor with left over motor oil, lots of mice, rusty nails, etc. I went to a clinic and they cleaned it out a bit, but couldn't get all of the funky debris out. They gave me a titanus shot.
So now, it's gotten swollen and very painful. Should I soak it? Is there some medium to soak it in that is optimal? Should I dig into it with a needle and try to extact more of the dirt, or at least open it up so it will bleed? (given how painful it is, that's not a pleasant thought, but if it would get it healing. I'd do it in a second!)
Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks so much!

DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, call your drs. office or the ER of your nearest hospital for advise.

Dave, it would help us all immensely if you would be very SPECIFIC in your topic title..
Have finger infection, swollen, painful; what should I do?

All of our time is very precious to each of us with limited time on here....thanks so much!

bettyg, Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
happened to me once.

i went to the ER and they gave me a novacaine shot at the infected site and then dug in deep to clean it out.

patched it up with a gallon of iodine.

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, unfortunately it does need to come out..it can get so infected you could get blood poisoning from it...

go the the ER or a walk in clinic..they'll numb it and get it out for you...your'e finger will continue to get infected if you leave it in

lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 14 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Big Dave,I would soak it in hydrogen peroxide,leter boil real good. Getter er done. MADDOG
Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8crow
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First question. What antibiotics are you on now?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notime2work
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notime2work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try soaking it in hot epsom salts water. I've used it before and it seems to work well at pulling the infection (and splinters) out.

Posts: 142 | From Flyover Country | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8crow
Unregistered

I guess I will be more frank.....what you are describing sounds like cellulitis, (generalized infection of the tissues which underlie the skin) not to be confused with cellulite (which is really just fat with an excuse). If you are on antibiotics the clinic probably thought you were covered for the likely organism. It is possible that the organism infecting your wound is not susceptible to whatever you are treating your lyme with. If you haven't yet been to your clinic a second time (which by now I suspect you have been).....I would hightail it right back there, and I wouldn't wait too long. Cellulitis does not go away if ignored. It becomes a festering mess and can become a generalized infection known as septicemia or in folksy terms, blood poisoning.
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a hold of a "drawing salve". Any pharmacist will help. Prid is one. There are others. OLD remedy...

Don't dig.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8crow
Unregistered

I generally don't divulge my professional credentials on here. I find liability a bit too much exposure. Suffice it to say, I have started a lot of IV's to treat cellulitis. I even had a personal experience with it from a wasp sting....wasps are dirty as they don't lose their stingers and go from victim to victim with their dirty stingers. Just another interesting insect fact. I hope its just a localized infection in which case you should see improvement very soon. I would err on the side of safety rather than a self management. It sounds like the potential pool of organisms was rich, that an incomplete job of wound cleansing was done, and again, I don't konw what antibiotics you're on, but at times, they are not effective on certain organisms. I don't think digging in your wound will help matters any and could even spread infection. If it is not cellulitis, it should be better by tomorrow, if it is, it should be about the same or worse. An enlarging area of warmth, redness and swelling indictes it is spreading. A redline up your hand or arm is even more compelling motivation to see a doc. A healing wound should show a decrease in swelling, redness and warmth. Good luck to you.
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, now here's your complimentary medicine remedy...

Do the soaks as Carol recomended, and while you are soaking, soak some green tea leaves in a mug.
After you finish your soak, apply soggy green tea leaves to the area, and loosey cover with a bandaid to hold in place.

the green tea will draw out the infection, and disinfect the wound. Don't be surprised to find puss on the tea.

And then follow 8crow's advise if it's not better tomorrow, otherwise continue with the warm soaks and grea tea leaf compresses.
Hope you're better soon!

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShelleyA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShelleyA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this will sound nuts too. It's an old remedy..............I've used it for finger infections and bygolly it worked.

Place a small piece of white bread around the area...........poor milk on it just to get it a bit soggy.........put a baggie over it and tape it down (so it doesn't leak too much). Try and sleep with it that way and hopefully it will improve.........

Guess it draws the junk out.......just an idea but sometimes the simple things do work.

Posts: 575 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah- you need to go back to the ER or your Dr. and have that opened up, and cleaned.

It really doesn't have anyhing to do with a weakened immune system- it's cuz you got debrie deep in the tissue and trapped in there (it's closed over right?)

If the fingers red, hot and swollen you got an infection brewing that you don't want to mess around with.

The conventional Drs. are good with this - this is the tpe of infection that's right up their alley.

Go to the Doc.
Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thamks for the mountain of replies, folks.
I didn't have any epsom salt, so I made 2 small cups of green tea, as one of you advised with some (regular- no epsom around here right now..) salt and some garlic juice. and soaked it for 2 hours in that, giving each one alternatly a minute in the microwave from time to time to keep it warm. Then I dug into it with a needle and squeezed the funky stuff out of it- there was still a big hunk of wood in there, it turned out. Hopefully I got it all this time. Thanks so much for your quick replies!
Right now I'm not on the abx, so I could have a big nightmare with an infection... I think I got it, though. Now I put a bandaid over it with some ..'neosporin' over it. It's aching, but nothing compared to when I was digging!
Thank you so much!
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement