LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how do you get enough calories on diet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do you get enough calories on diet?
electric
Member # 6572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all,
i am having a hard time getting enough calories on the can diet. i am ALWAYS hungry. meals take a long time to make and they never satisfy me for long enough. anyone have some good ideas for QUICK snacks that can keep you going till next meal. i would be less inclined to cheat on the diet if i wasnt always hungry.

electric

Posts: 65 | From minneapolis, san francisco | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big pile of protein always fills me up. It takes a while for your body to adapt to burning protein for fuel, rather than carbs.

A big ole steak on the grill and some brocolli with soy cheese and salad with just olive oil.

Hard boiled eggs by the dozen, raw almonds are my favorite snacks.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electric
Member # 6572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are salted cashews ok?
Posts: 65 | From minneapolis, san francisco | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hit your health food store! You can still have certain wheat alternatives that will help curb the hunger a bit. yeast free breads and snacks do help as long as you watch how much of them you eat. My dr told me nuts were fine in small amounts as long as they are unprocessed. Certain nut butters (such as almond butter) are ok in small amounts too. Im getting ready to go back on this diet myself and I know how very hard it is!! There are lots of alternatives out there in your health food store that do help curb the cravings. You just have to shop around.

Nancy

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almonds and coconuts help me to survive.

And I make chocolate in my fridge out of virgin coconut oil, sugarfree cocoa powder and stevia. Virgin coconut oil also works against candida.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, eat smaller amounts more often. If you eat every 2-3 hours, you will be less hungry than if you eat 3 big meals.

As far as snacks go, I eat primarily nuts, hard boiled eggs, almonds, pecans and plain yogurt. I sometimes also eat edamame, which are basically just soybeans.

If you are doing ok keeping the yeast away, you can add raw veggies or some high fiber fruit (pears and granny smith apples). But if you have any yeast problems, don't eat fruits and veggies without first putting protein in your stomache.

Try to find easy ways to prepare meats. I bought a George Forman, which is wonderfully easy.

And, if you are getting too few calories and losing an unhealthy amount of weight...then you have a great excuse to eat fat

[This message has been edited by Aniek (edited 21 April 2005).]

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hard time at first. I ate a lot of nuts because I couldn't think of other quick snacks and I was too tired to cook. I still keep nuts in the car as emergency food. My symptoms get much worse when I'm hungry.

Now I eat many small meals. I need a lot of protein and extra fat. My previous diet was very low in fat. Now fat seems to help lessen herxing and generally makes me feel better(releases bile which removes toxins).

I eat lots and lots of vegetables. For breakfast I have sauteed vegetables with an egg on top.

To make salads more filling I add shrimp, avocado and whole milk yogurt (goat milk). Sometimes I make dressing with mayo & mustard.

I can't eat any grains except occaisional white rice. Bread substitutes are out for me. Sushi is a treat.

A rotisserie chicken provides quick meals and I eat the skin too since the extra fat seems to help. I always have frozen bison burgers in the freezer. They cook quickly. Canned sardines come in handy.I add canned beans to my vegetable stir fry. Occaisionally I add lentils.

I buy everything organic. There is good information about suppliers on www.mercola.com

Today I tried bean threads (cellophane noodles) made from mung beans. They seemed OK for me. I soaked them for a minute in boiling water and added them to my stir fry. I also put some into soup. The Asian grocery sells big bags of them.

I plan ahead and pack lunches. Lunch at restaurants is often difficult since most choices have bread or flour or are not filling. Breakfast out is easier: Omelet, no toast. Dinner is easier too. Meat or fish, salad, vegetables, occasionally rice or baked potato or else extra vegetables.

I wish I was losing wait but I'm not. 6 months of barely moving didn't help.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is not a very popular theory on this board...

But I do not cut out carbs... I just take my acidolphilous.

I'm 5'5 and less than 110lbs.... If I cut out my carbs I would loose so much weight.... I also have a stomach condition tha tprevents me from eating certain meats and most fruits and vegtables... so carbs are essential for me.

Best wishes

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the last post. I have had great results with Candida elimination diet, and I definitely did not cut out the carbs. I did eliminate the bad ones(no white rice, no glutin heavy grains like wheat, oats, barley etc...no bread of any kind, no sugars of any kind, no fruit except lemon) and added a few new ones ( especially quinoa and millet, cream of buckwheat cereal, pancakes made from quinoa and buckwheat flour, unsweetened soy milk)

I was able to keep some of my usual ones, corn tortillas, brown rice, brown rice pasta, but inititally went off of the corn and rice for a couple weeks then slowly added it to make sure it was ok for me. I eat beans and lots of nuts, generally lentils, pinto beans, black beans, and cashews of any form raw, salted, almond butter, raw soaked almonds. I need the calories, I eat alot of carbs, and my candida is under control now.

I also upped my vegetable intake, and initially upped my egg intake alot, like one a day, to keep wheight on. Once my body got better, after a month or so, I was able to start cutting back on the eggs. I only eat them a couple times a week right now. I do not eat meat of any type, or dairy, and I used to only rarely eat an egg.

I has been 3 1/2 months, and I tried a peice of homemade whole wheat bread last month and reacted. But last weekend sucessfully had a few pieces of homemade sourdough bread at a friends, made with fresh ground whole wheat four, sprouted rye berries and his homemade sourdough starter.
I'm not ready to try this rutinely yet, but it was GREAT, and it is good to know it will be possible to enjoy these things again.

I also initially lost alot of weight. It did stabilize. Mostly it seems that my body needed to adjust. But, if it were not for almond butter made into treats, or on brown rice crackers; eating raw coconut oil straight off a spoon, many times a day, eating salted nuts if I needed to and going back to eating eggs, I think I would eventually been haspitallized before I would have had time to stabilize. I am also a very petite person. I seem to have stablized at 105lbs now, which is fine.

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement